Network Unlocked Lumia 1020 with 8.1 Preview, Nokia Care doesn't care, MS also won't support me.

torbach1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I recently purchased the network unlocked Lumia 1020 that WPCentral wrote about from Microsoftstore since I travel internationally a lot. I gave my previous Lumia 1020 (AT&T) to my wife to replace her iPhone. Since it had WP8.1 preview, I successfully used Nokia Software Recovery Tool to get her phone back to stock 8.0.

I then updated my new unlocked phone to 8.1 Preview. After that update, all video playback stopped working, whether YouTube, XBox video, Netflix, etc. The Lumia video camera also doesn't work. When I start recording, it freezes on the first picture in the scene. When I stop recording, the ' video' is non-existent. I rely too much on video to live with this, and want to roll back to WP8.0 until 8.1 and Cyan formal updates are available. However, when I used the NSRT, I got an error "Software Package not available for this phone. Package download for the selected phone failed". I tried buntymunna approach (can't post URL since I'm new to posting, but if you search on WPCentral for the error above you'll find it. No luck. I also tried the Nokia Software Updater for Retail with similar issues.

I reached out to MicrosoftStore.com support, which pushed me to Windows Phone support on MS. They in turn said only Nokia can resolve this and told me to go to Nokia Care. After eventually finding out with their help how to open a support ticket with Nokia Care, they replied earlier today:

"We understand that in your Nokia Lumia 1020 you have installed Windows 8.1 developers preview and you are encountering issue with it. In response to this, please be advised that since this is a developer preview, and we cannot replicate this since the software is for developers, please visit the link below where you can get support is from Microsoft Developer Network forum:

on msdn. I searched there and found nothing..

This is all about issues with regard to WP8.1 developer's preview update."

So MS won't support it, pushing me to Nokia Care. Nokia doesn't care. Unsupported or not, Nokia is owned by MS, I purchased the phone from MS, and I'm beta testing the phone for MS. I would think this would be supported in some way. Today I updated to Update 1 of Windows Phone 8.1 successfully, but this didn't fix the issue.

Any help or suggestions would be really greatly appreciated!

Tamir

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Wait til the official update and turn it in under warranty is all.i can think of. They can't deny it at that point as it will no longer be dev. Sorry bro.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Just wait and get Cyan, then you're safe. Also have you tried a hard reset, maybe then 8.1 will work fine.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried Nokia Care suite (not recovery tool) to flash the stock rom. I can help you through the process. The software will download the stock rom for your model. This is the same tool uses to switch rom regions but in your case we can use to force flash the same stock rom.

This should fix your issue. Sounds like a botched upgrade when preview was installed

Last edited:

torbach1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks blue1k. I really appreciate the offer. I did try it, and it gave me a similar response, couldn't find the software package...

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Hmm doesn't sound right. You have to manually select the rom with a product code. Message me if you need any more help. I'm sure we can fix this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro