"Live Folders" - How do you use them?

Ryan ODonnell

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I thought I should start a thread on how people use their Live Folders on Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1.
So, I'm going to start through walking through my Live Folders on my Nokia Lumia 630.

wp_ss_20140805_0001.png
An overview of my live folders
Nothing really much to see here, just my Start layout and the overview of the Live Folders I have set up!

wp_ss_20140805_0002.png
social
"Me" tile- I just have it there and have had it on my Start screen since WP8.0. I like an extra live tile every now and then.
My girlfriend's tile - Just because I want to keep in close contact with her and just a tap or two away, I'm in a phone call without searching through my People hub.
People hub - Just got Facebook, Twitter and Outlook contacts merged into there. Nothing really special except for the people I actually want to talk about.
6tag - I use Instagram a lot, so I have it pinned. I don't have a transparent tile for that at the moment, but I like some colours on some tiles.
6snap - I used 6snap almost every day, or possibly even around 20 times a day or even more.
Facebook - Just use it every now and then to post photos and update my statuses.
Twitter - I use it to just do what other people on Twitter do, tweet, follow and possibly unfollow :wink:
WhatsApp - Yep, I use it.
Facebook Messenger - Don't really message people on Facebook, but I have it anyway just in case I do get the odd message.
BBM beta - Don't judge me just because I use BBM. I do use it quite a lot! Uses a lot of your battery though :unhappy:
Skype - Just only really use video calling on Skype. That's all.

wp_ss_20140805_0003.png
internet
Internet Explorer - I do a lot of web browsing, so I use IE. I am yet to download UC Browser.
OneDrive - I use OneDrive a lot to share files across my Microsoft devices and many other devices that I own.
Maps - Don't really use this, I use Here Maps.
Outlook - Don't get any emails on it, just have it pinned there.

wp_ss_20140805_0004.png
Nokia apps
App Social - Came preinstalled with my phone, very rarely use it.
Nokia Care - Always nice to check your warranty I suppose.
Nokia Camera - I use this camera as it has many more options than the default WP camera.
Here Maps - Always good to have when looking for places to visit or trying to get directions. Good Here Drive integration.
Here Drive+ - When we get lost in the car, always bring up this app. Free navigation, couldn't really beat it & even free traffic alerts!
MixRadio - Haven't used this is around a month, because don't want to pay for it as I have a Spotify subscription currently.

wp_ss_20140805_0005.png
Default apps
Music - I used this every day and every night. The tile links to Music Hub Tile, which I have purchased and got the Zune tile pinned.
Xbox Video - I have Top Gear (UK) in my TV shows, so I watch that when I'm bored.
Photos - Just a nice touch which shows me all my photos. Why not.
Calendar - Because I'm so unorganized with everything these days.
Office - If I need to fix a Word or Excel or PowerPoint document on the go, luckily, I have Office on my phone.
OneNote - Used for quick note taking. Helpful when I can't wait for Office to open.
Alarms - Sometimes I'm lazy.
Local Scout - If I go anywhere, it's good to have this pinned so when I open it, it finds places to eat or things to do near me.
Microsoft Camera - Basic camera functionality, only use it for when I need to take a photo quickly.
Calculator - I hate Maths and I'm useless, so I have a Calculator tile.
Podcasts - Haven't downloaded a podcast yet, so I haven't got any use for that app yet.
FM Radio - I listen to the radio every now and then.
Wallet - Got my Microsoft account and PayPal linked to it. Helpful when making Store purchases.
Settings - I'm always changing things on my phone, such as my Start background and theme colour.

wp_ss_20140805_0006.png
xbox games
Games - Only use it for the Xbox integration.
Flappy Bird - When I have nothing to do, this is the last resort game I would play.
Bow Man - Love playing online on that game, because I always win :wink:
Cut and Hack Such an addicting game, I love it.

wp_ss_20140805_0007.png
sense apps
Battery Saver - I want the most out of my battery, and I want to see what's using it.
Data Sense - Nice to have to tell you how much data I have left and how much I have used.
Storage Sense - I want to know how much space I have on my internal storage and my SD card.

wp_ss_20140805_0008.png
live tv + catchup
ITV Player - I watch ITV live and some programmes on catch up.
TVCatchup - Live Freeview TV, always nice to have.
Demand 5 - I sometimes watch Channel 5 programmes when I'm bored. Not Big Brother though.
4oD - Channel 4 is okay, I guess?

wp_ss_20140805_0009.png
bing apps
Weather - I check the weather around the country wherever I go.
News - Don't really use this much, as I have Cortana.
Health & Fitness - Because it is enabled with SensorCore on my phone, it has a pedometer feature.
Food & Drink - Always get good food ideas with this.

Uncategorized
WPCentral - I have yet to think of a category that this would fit into with my other apps.
My O2 - Still thinking of a category.

Post your Live Folders below!:cool:

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Still wondering what I should put inside and how to name them. This is my list so far:

Multimedia: Spotify, Soundhound, Videos app and XBMC Commander.
Social: Instagram, Facebook, 6snap, Twitter, WPCentral, Tapatalk, AppSocial and People.
Photos: Camera, Photos, Papercut, Nokia CS.
Finance: Rabobank, Paypal
Work: Office, MP-1, Lync 2013, University email, Office Lens, Telegram, PDF reader and Remote Desktop
Navigation: FlitsNav, HERE Drive/Maps/Transit, Trein and 9292.
Sports: Sports and ESPN F1
VOIP: Skype and Viber
Travel: TripAdviser, Travel and Skyscanner
Games: Games, TrafficRacer, Temple Run 2 and Asphalt 8
Cloud: OneDrive, OneNote and Dropbox
Utilities: WOL, Files, DataSense, Nokia Beamer, PhotoBeamer, SysApp Pusher, Storage Sense, Transparancy Tiles and wpTorrent.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Before the live folders, I had trouble with symmetry in my start screen...but eventually "solved that". Now with live folders, I'm sorting and rearranging my folders all over again for that symmetry, haha. But anyway, here's my sort-of extensive list of apps in the folders:

Chats - Line, WeChat, BBM Beta, WhatsApp, Skype, Viber, Facebook Messenger, Nokia Chat Beta, RadarRabbit
Mail - Yahoo, Outlook, Gmail, <university email service>
Network - Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Yammer, LinkedIn, Disqus, Pinterest Beta
Navigation - Maps (native), NaviComputer (highly recommended), Family Life360, Glympse (also recommended), Waze (of course), Maps Tools, HERE Maps, HERE Drive+, HERE Explore Beta, HERE Transit, HERE City Lens, Foursquare, TrackMyLife
Photos - Photo Hub, 500px, Galleries
Weather - BlueSkies, Prognoza, Weather To-Go, Accuweather, Amazing Weather HD, <two local doppler radar websites>, Real Time Weather, Skyline, Rain Alarm
Imaging - Nokia Smart Cam, Nokia Camera, Nokia Panorama, Nokia Refocus, Nokia Camera Beta, Nokia Cinemagraph, Blink, Timelapse Pro, Levitagram, Photosynth, Nokia Storyteller, Nokia Creative Studio, SoZoom, Zoom, Adobe Photoshop Express, XnRetro
Chess - ChessByPost, Chess Time, Zypno Chess, NPChess, OneChess, Chess Lvl 100, Chess Clock
Documentation - Adobe Reader, OneDrive, OneNote, Office, Office Lens (though this should be in Imaging)
Multimedia - Videos, Music, Soundhound, Podcasts
Tools - Alarms (native), Stopwatch XI, 3D Graphing Calculator, Calculator (native), Network Speed Test, Sonar, Spectrum Analyzer, Enigma, SoundSentryTM, Simple Seismograph, World Clock, Unit Converter, Lux-o-Meter, Level, ATV gyroscope, Authenticator, Remote Desktop, TeamViewer, Compass 8.1, Star Chart
News - MMDA, CNN, FOX News, YouScoop, Quake watch, Radio Vaticana, Weave News Reader, WPCentral (of course!), Windows Phone Insider
References - Dictionary, Periodic Table, Agoda, Lazada, OLX, AppDeals, ESV Bible, App Social
Finances - Wallice, PayPal, Wallet (native), Smart Budget
Taxi - GrabTaxi, Easy Taxi
Control Panel - Settings, Battery Saver, Storage Sense, Data Sense, Live Lock Screen BETA, Transfer My Data, Call+SMS filter (native)

But to answer the question, "How do you use them?" - basically from having to swipe 1.75 screens down to access some of my pinned apps, now I have "all of them" in one screen - no need to swipe down anymore.

P.S. Despite the number of "pinned" apps, only 28 run in the background. Also, despite having 28 apps running in the background, I have not encountered any issues where apps no longer updated (except for one weather app, wherein I have contacted the developer and indeed it appears to be a server problem - he indicated that an update is in the works).

Lumia 1020

Last edited:

Asrialys

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Somewhat patiently waiting for T-Mobile to roll 8.1 and Update 1 out, so I can't play with this yet. However, I have one important question. Is it possible to pit pinned webpages in these folders?

Asrialys

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Yep, it's definitely possible!
Best update ever! :p Too bad I'm making myself wait.

Besides the usual suspects, I have two sections at the bottom of my Start screen that are all webpages.

And I assume pinned email folders can be placed in Live Folders as well? If so, I can pin other important folders without causing clutter and put them in Folders so I can receive notifications that email has been received and sorted into those email folders.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
And I assume pinned email folders can be placed in Live Folders as well? If so, I can pin other important folders without causing clutter and put them in Folders so I can receive notifications that email has been received and sorted into those email folders.

Yep. I haven't found any tile yet that can't be moved into a folder.

msalmank

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone certainly is getting exciting this year. The 8.1 update along offered quite a few changes but both the Live Lock Screen & the 8.1 GDR1 update have spiced it up further. Can't wait to see what the next version of updates bring to the OS. (Plus, Microsoft finally seems to have picked up the speed!!!)

Here's a look at mine (along with my lock screen - i couldn't resist!)

wp_ss_20140805_0002.jpgwp_ss_20140806_0001.jpg
wp_ss_20140806_0003.jpgwp_ss_20140806_0004.jpg
wp_ss_20140806_0005.jpgwp_ss_20140806_0006.jpg
wp_ss_20140806_0007.jpgwp_ss_20140806_0008.jpg

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Since the Games app is so slow, I thought of creating a live folder for all of my games. Best idea ever. Now I will not suffer anymore from those loading screens that take like forever

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have an idea of how to delete an empty live folder? Somehow I created a live tile with a single app unintentionally. Took the app back out and now I can't delete it. When I hold it down it gives me the resize option but now x to delete it.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have an idea of how to delete an empty live folder? Somehow I created a live tile with a single app unintentionally. Took the app back out and now I can't delete it. When I hold it down it gives me the resize option but now x to delete it.

Put an app inside then take it out again? Usually when the last app is removed, the folder is deleted. At least, that's what happens to me.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I did. Its weird, pinned an app to the start screen. Went to move it and it dropped into a live folder. Nothing else in the folder. Pulled it back out and the live folder can't be deleted.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Just restart your phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa