Live Folders - The Impact

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I love options and I'm rocking both LF and extra column on my 1020. I just wanted to see if anyone felt that one option negated the need for the other.

Don't think so. WP screen sizes and resolutions vary so much. Some have large screens, some have small screens, some have low res screens and some have hi res screens. Some prefer the 'extra tiles' and some don't.....

I think it's great to have many options when the WP devices differ so much.

Rangan Das

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Unpin a few tiles. That should work. I too was having occasional minor lags on my L1320. It became a severe lag once. I just unpinned a few folders itself and done. Basically, pinning folders have the same impact on resources as that of pinning the tiles directly. The tiles are kept in memory, but on the start screen, they are just consolidated into a folder...remember, live folder. So, instead of a looong start screen, you can have a shorter one using the folders, making the folders big, or making too many folders will have the same impact as that of a looong start screen.

Rangan Das

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Ashish I don't get the lag you're talking about. What handset are you using?
I'm using a 1520.

Certain tiles are also known to cause lags. I had the large Asphalt 8 and Modern Combat 5: Blackout pinned. I removed a lot of other tiles and the lag still persisted on my Lumia 1320. However, removing just those two made it a lot smoother.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I like the live folders with one exception. With every other part of Windows Phone, if you tap something to expand it, tapping the back button will contract it. Look at the calendar since 8.1. If you tap a day (in the month view, for instance), it expands showing appointments for that day. Tapping back contracts it. In alarms, if you tap snooze time (Update 1), it expands. Tapping back contracts.

But with Live Folders, you tap the folder to expand it, and tapping back does not contract it unless there is nothing in your back stack. I don't like the inconsistency.

Alexandre Borges

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I like the live folders with one exception. With every other part of Windows Phone, if you tap something to expand it, tapping the back button will contract it. Look at the calendar since 8.1. If you tap a day (in the month view, for instance), it expands showing appointments for that day. Tapping back contracts it. In alarms, if you tap snooze time (Update 1), it expands. Tapping back contracts.

But with Live Folders, you tap the folder to expand it, and tapping back does not contract it unless there is nothing in your back stack. I don't like the inconsistency.

It works with my 820. try to reset your phone.

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

Works on the 810.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The people who are quoting me and saying it works really need to go back and read my first post, because they just don't get it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
YES!!!

PICK ONE NOW!!!

You must decide: Live Tiles or Extra Column.

You have 48 hours to declare your allegiance. Then the two camps fight to the death.

​Just kidding, of course. It's simply more choice in how you make Windows Phone uniquely yours.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
YES!!!

PICK ONE NOW!!!

You must decide: Live Tiles or Extra Column.

You have 48 hours to declare your allegiance. Then the two camps fight to the death.

​Just kidding, of course. It's simply more choice in how you make Windows Phone uniquely yours.

Why not both?

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
So I have installed Update 1 and I'm loving the new live folders (respect to Nokia as I can see their influence on the design). I got to thinking though, doesn't the live folders make the extra column option for the start screen redundant(possibly not the right word but the idea is the same). The whole point of the extra column was to add more tiles but now with live folders you can have all the tiles you want but organized tidily by group and aptly named.

Does anyone else think this?

You can have three live folders next to each other. :)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why not both?

Sorry my joke based on the drastic language of the thread title went past you... even after I spelled out "Just kidding" in the post!!!!

Use whatever you like as often as you want.

At no time was any serious intent implied, nor should you have inferred any.

If you like, I can send you and everyone in the thread a personalized apology PM. <<<<< WARNING THIS IS MEANT AS HUMOR - PLEASE DO NOT POST ASKING ME TO DO THIS!!!!! IT IS NOT IN ANY WAY OR BY ANY MEANS A SERIOUS STATEMENT - JOKE ALERT - JOKE ALERT - JOKE ALERT!!!!!

Makubex1980

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Would love to option to go back to 2 columns on my 930, i came from a 625 4.7" display at 2 columns)
3 rows is too much and makes it look messy and small.....
So 2 columns and the option for folders is my taste of WP.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Would love to option to go back to 2 columns on my 930, i came from a 625 4.7" display at 2 columns)
3 rows is too much and makes it look messy and small.....
So 2 columns and the option for folders is my taste of WP.

Do you not have the option to change to 2 columns on the 930? Settings => start + theme, then scroll down and set Show more Tiles to Off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo