Videos don't work on YouTube's Desktop Site

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
When on YouTube.com (I prefer the browser) videos seem to not be able to play on the desktop site, saying "sorry, this video is not available on this device". But when I switch to the mobile site, the video plays. YouTube's desktop site worked just fine with 8.1 DP and cyan, but it seems that after updating to update 1, they aren't able to play.

I use the desktop site for all its features, like the ability to double-tap the video to go to full screen, tap the video to pause, and play playlists. The mobile site doesn't support any of these features - except I'm not sure if I just don't know how to watch playlists on the mobile site or they don't work in mobile. Does anyone else experience this with update 1? I'd really like to know how to get videos to work in desktop - like using a setting on YouTube.com that I'm not familiar with. I have mytube, but I can't, as far as I know, use that for watching playlists.

cuwe

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem but it's the mobile site . It says that 'can't play on this device' . But when I closed my browser, then I can watch it again.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem but it's the mobile site . It says that 'can't play on this device' . But when I closed my browser, then I can watch it again.

I've tried soft resetting and deleting history (in case it was something stored in a cookie that makes it do this), but nothing worked. I also have IE's website preference set to desktop, but that doesn't do anything for YouTube.

thinkdan

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, the changes in IE suck. I had no problems with 8.1 before, but now I'm unable to browse properly a lot of my frequent sites (eg. Yahoo.com).

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, the changes in IE suck. I had no problems with 8.1 before, but now I'm unable to browse properly a lot of my frequent sites (eg. Yahoo.com).

Same with me, a lot of websites that usually would go to the desktop version don't anymore even though I have that setting enabled. Now any time I want to use the full features of YouTube.com I have to use my Surface Pro to do it. Not that I don't like using my Surface, but I'd rather use my 1520 like I always have been before the update.

Selfie13

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree, this supposed update to IE in Update 1 has rendered it useless as far as viewing websites in desktop mode. Before I was able to type in Bing.com and be able to use it in desktop view, handy for collecting bing rewards points on desktop.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I agree, this supposed update to IE in Update 1 has rendered it useless as far as viewing websites in desktop mode. Before I was able to type in Bing.com and be able to use it in desktop view, handy for collecting bing rewards points on desktop.
You also can get rewards searching on the mobile device as well

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
This SUCKS!
Lets sign a petition or something, send a letter IDK. Just lets tell microsoft that IE now sucks, entirely. I haven't noticed OEN good thing since the update, only bad.

Eather revert to the previous state, or fix all of this!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yahoo news mobile stories don't scroll, but then they didn't on 8.1 release either.

While I was critical yesterday about some sites, others do work better so it's a mixture. Perhaps having a compatibility mode like the desktop IE might help. If a site doesn't work in standards mode allow the user to try webkit hacks mode.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea why, but for some reason, videos from WPCentral work in desktop mode but not videos from channels I'm subscribed to. However, it still plays in that featureless basic video player and YouTube's website video player. I tried playing a random video from the list of suggested videos on the right hand side and it didn't play (in desktop mode). Strange....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire