Group Texting Errors? 1520 Dev Preview 8.1.1

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Happened again today.
Texted three people a meme picture.
One iPhone 5s, an iPhone 4, and a Galaxy 4.
The reply from the iPhone 5s included me as a new contact.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
It is strange how this issue is intermittent. It leaves the question of "is it the OS or is the carrier?" in a vague/unclear state.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Gah.. and it just happened to me again. It's totally random with no clear explanation beyond "it's probably just AT&T messing up". :)

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I have 5 phones on AT&T with this issue not happening with any of them. Is there anything you are doing before it happens again?
Out of curiosity, which models?

To answer your question: I have done absolutely nothing out of the ordinary with my 1520. The problem seems to occur randomly. In fact, the last time that it cropped up, I picked up my phone while several group TXTs were coming in and found the invalid entry in them.

neogodless

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a Lumia 920 running 8.1 Update, Developer Preview, Black.

I used to have Straight Talk (AT&T) but recently switched to Airvoice (AT&T) and started to have the problem. I just tried to the Group MMS off/power cycle/on strategy... hopefully fixes it (temporarily...?)

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 920 running 8.1 Update, Developer Preview, Black.

I used to have Straight Talk (AT&T) but recently switched to Airvoice (AT&T) and started to have the problem. I just tried to the Group MMS off/power cycle/on strategy... hopefully fixes it (temporarily...?)

So, the common thread between all of its is still AT&T.
From what I've experienced so far, the "fix" that we've been using does indeed work temporarily. Usually, after anywhere from 5 to 7 days, the issue will show up again. I've recently been fixing my issue the following way with the same temporary results. It's a little quicker than our original "fix".

1. Delete the problem text message.
2. In settings, turn off group messaging.
3. Power off/on phone.
4. In settings, turn group messaging back on.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have 5 phones on AT&T with this issue not happening with any of them. Is there anything you are doing before it happens again?

Not doing anything out of the ordinary.
I will say that the issue for me arises in two situations:

1. I have initiated a group text. When someone from the group responds to me, my number is suddenly included in the list of contacts with the reply.

2. I respond as a member of a group message. As soon as someone responds to my response, my number is again suddenly added in the list of contacts with their response.

This only happens to me every 5 to 7 days or so. It's not driving me crazy or anything, just a minor annoyance. But, I'd rather not have the issue than have it. :)

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Happened yet again. This is indeed a totally random experience for me. I can go for weeks without it and then "boom" it messes up.

It isn't a "big deal" but it's definitely an annoyance.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Happened again today...16 days after my last issue.

Edit: I've been using my 1320 ever since, and although I've been texting the same group that the issue occurred in, it hasn't happened again.

Last edited:

Kyle Stilkey

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'll be joint the list now as well. Not sure what is triggering this issue. I'm the only now having this under ATT and all WP. I'll see if I can figure out what might be causing this.

koolnaija

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Actually might not be an AT&T issue. I have T-mobile and seen the issue on my 635 with DP 8.1.1. It's happened on only 2 individual contacts and i know both have android phones with one of them being the S5.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Happened to me today. I deleted the texts and shut down my phone. Once I started it back up, I immediately received a text from the faulty group text, but, this time, I was no longer in the list of recipients.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12