I've looked on the Windows Phone subreddit and these forums but I haven't seen a similar post yet.

After Update 1 Cortana seems to have just flat out broken on my phone. In pretty much all other ways Update 1 improved things but now Cortana doesn't actually respond to most commands anymore and the UI is actually broken for me. At the moment if I were to try and set a reminder all she does is perform a web search. I ask for directions and she performs a web search. I ask to play some music and she performs a web search. She seems to have just forgotten how to respond to commands and questions.

The other bug is the UI is just completely glitched out. If I tap the settings icon in the upper right of the screen I don't get taken to settings. I get... some kind of ghost double screen. I can scroll this faded double screen over the other but I can't actually do anything. Here's a screenshot of what this looks like.
    wp_ss_20140806_0003.png

Are any other people having these issues? I'd really like this sorted. I've actually really gotten used to using Cortana on a regular basis lately. I know there was a problem with Cortana only performing web searches months ago but I never had any issues until Update 1.
    08-06-2014 04:18 PM
    I'm not seeing this, but have to ask whether you've rebooted or soft reset your phone since you've had this problem? If you have, great, I only ask because so many people don't think of trying that.
    08-06-2014 04:46 PM
    Yeah. I've rebooted a couple times since the Update on Monday. I'm really hoping the solution to this isn't a hard reset.
    08-06-2014 04:59 PM
    One simple thing to try would be to switch Cortana off in the app settings, reboot your phone, then switch it back on. That might reset whatever's hanging to cause this. Since you can't get to the settings from Cortana directly, you'll need to go into the phone settings, slide over to Apps, then select Cortana. It'll also tell us something if you can't get to the settings that way.
    08-06-2014 05:06 PM
    Thanks. I didn't think to try turning her off. Unfortunately it didn't help with the UI bug. Things still ghost above/under one another. And when I started her up for the first time after disabling her I got this.
    wp_ss_20140806_0011.png

When Cortana's disabled it gives you the option to delete its data from the phone (while maintaining some in the cloud, though I'm not sure what's stored where). I suppose I'll try that next.
    08-06-2014 05:27 PM
    It might be related to IE, too, rather than or in addition to problems with Cortana. You could try deleting history in the IE settings, too, if deleting Cortana's local data doesn't help.
    topherlooks likes this.
    08-06-2014 05:40 PM
    Thanks I'll see if that helps.
    08-06-2014 05:41 PM
    I deleted the local Cortana storage and IE stuff and the UI bug seems to be gone and it's actually letting me set up Cortana again.
    08-06-2014 05:57 PM
    Excellent! Glad to hear it!
    08-07-2014 09:06 AM