In need of a little advice please, regarding restoring a backup OR clean-slate

B_Hawk

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Dear fellas,

Good day to you all,

I own a Lumia 1520, and after the 8.1 developer preview update, it started having many issues including the phone heating up every now and then and battery drain accompanies that. So now my phone is getting Cyan in my region and I want to downgrade to WP 8.0, then update the phone normally.

First of all, can anybody confirm that the heating issue is gone when going Cyan this way?

Second, which is better from these 2 scenarios:
- Downgrade to 8.0, update to Cyan, hard-reset and restore backup.
OR
- Downgrade to 8.0, update to Cyan, hard-reset and download everything from scratch
?

My problem is that I am afraid if went through with scenario 1, I would still have the same problems I had when my phone was running the DP and the problem is caused by some app, which data would be restored and boom: phone heats up after 5 days and then you'll have to do all this again.

But then, if I went with scenario 2, that means more effort and time wasted, while still losing all your data from every app.

Any thoughts on the matter? I really hate the fact that my phone is not running perfectly, and I would be so happy if scenario 1 is enough.

Has anyone tried doing either of this while having the heating issue earlier? And what were the results?

Waiting eagerly for your replies,
Thanks a lot for your time :)

Last edited:

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: In need of a little advice please regarding hard-reset

Step 1: backup
Step 2: hard reset
Step 3: update to Cyan
Step 4: restore
Alternate step 4: don't restore if you want a clean slate

The restore facility doesn't work with 8.0 so there's no point in doing it - would cause more issues than you're trying to solve. Apps on SD card will need to be reinstalled regardless of what you do, but that's relatively easy to do.

B_Hawk

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: In need of a little advice please regarding hard-reset

Step 1: backup
Step 2: hard reset
Step 3: update to Cyan
Step 4: restore
Alternate step 4: don't restore if you want a clean slate

The restore facility doesn't work with 8.0 so there's no point in doing it - would cause more issues than you're trying to solve. Apps on SD card will need to be reinstalled regardless of what you do, but that's relatively easy to do.

Thank you for your reply :)

You probably didn't get my question right, I was not asking about what steps to take to get Cyan, I was asking about what would be better to do after downgrading, and downloading Cyan, which would eliminate my heating problem: Doing a hard reset and restoring a backup, or doing a hard reset and downloading everything manually from scratch? I know it would be more ensuring to go with scenario two, but I am asking if 1 is enough because two would make me not sleep tonight from all the effort it's gonna take.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
The restore probably wouldn't take much longer than reinstalling all your apps manually, depending on how many you have - since it backs up your apps list and when asked to restore it restores whatever's in the list. Only difference is you've have to manually scroll through your history (it's much easier done on the windows phone website), and reinstalling specific apps that way - or the bare minimum for what you need to function.

But I would go with 1 for simplicity.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I performed a manual backup, and then went through your first scenario. While I wasn't having any issues before the update, I can say that my updated phone has been running flawlessly. There is some debate on whether to do a hard reset after updating, but I always do, just to be sure...about what, I don't know. lol
Here is what I did:
1. Manually backed up my phone.
2. Used Nokia Recovery Tool to go back to WP8.
3. Set up my phone without logging into my account.
4. Updated the phone to WP8.1 with Cyan.
5. Set up my phone without logging into my account again.
6. Performed a hard reset.
7. Set up my phone again, but this time I logged into my account and used my latest saved restore.

It's a lot, I know, and it might not be necessary to go through all of those steps. But that's what worked for me.

B_Hawk

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
The restore probably wouldn't take much longer than reinstalling all your apps manually, depending on how many you have - since it backs up your apps list and when asked to restore it restores whatever's in the list. Only difference is you've have to manually scroll through your history (it's much easier done on the windows phone website), and reinstalling specific apps that way - or the bare minimum for what you need to function.

But I would go with 1 for simplicity.

I have so many apps downloaded to my phone, and many of them have data that I really don't want to lose, that's why I prefer going with 1, but again, will this be enough to solve the heating issue I am having? I am afraid that the heating issue is caused from one of my apps, not from the firmware, and if I restore their data, the issue would be back again! So I need to know from someone who had the heating issue, and what route did they take, and what was the result?

B_Hawk

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
I performed a manual backup, and then went through your first scenario. While I wasn't having any issues before the update, I can say that my updated phone has been running flawlessly. There is some debate on whether to do a hard reset after updating, but I always do, just to be sure...about what, I don't know. lol
Here is what I did:
1. Manually backed up my phone.
2. Used Nokia Recovery Tool to go back to WP8.
3. Set up my phone without logging into my account.
4. Updated the phone to WP8.1 with Cyan.
5. Set up my phone without logging into my account again.
6. Performed a hard reset.
7. Set up my phone again, but this time I logged into my account and used my latest saved restore.

It's a lot, I know, and it might not be necessary to go through all of those steps. But that's what worked for me.

Thank you for your reply. I am getting more and more convinced that the heating issue is caused because an app is not compatible with WP 8.1 rather than the firmware, but I don't know which one is. I would do as you suggested, but if someone that was having issues did this and can confirm that problems are gone, that would be truely helpful (not that your comment weren't). Thank you again :)

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Quick question: Do you have Cortana pinned to your start screen? My phone did get hot a few times. I read about unpinning Cortana, and that worked for me. Since I took her off of my start screen, my phone has not gotten hot again.

B_Hawk

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Quick question: Do you have Cortana pinned to your start screen? My phone did get hot a few times. I read about unpinning Cortana, and that worked for me. Since I took her off of my start screen, my phone has not gotten hot again.

Nope. Infact, Cortana is turned off. I also turned off glance, screen-sensitivity, Auto-brightness and Sun readability mode, and practically everything that is done automatically is turned off on my phone. I also managed my apps and which can run in the background and which not. Also, I tracked the app usage in the battery saver app. Still the heating issue persists, and it can only be solved with a soft reset (sometimes takes two) to go away.

SinisterDuck

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I have two Windows Phones, one I restored from backup, one from scratch. I see no difference in heating issues or battery life, they both run about the same -- i.e. better than before the update. YMMV, but I hope this helps.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I know some disagree, but I've never had an issue restoring from backup. When you restore, it's not like it puts the same image back on your phone. All it really does is puts all the apps you had in the queue to start downloading again, changes your settings to what you previously had, adds your e-mail accounts, and restores the start screen and your text messages. You are still reinstalling the OS and all apps from scratch. Heating issues could be a combination of firmware and app related. It likely isn't just one or the other. Also when there are heating issues, you may notice a large increase in battery usage. It may be beneficial to take note of the info in Battery Sense/Saver before and after you have the problem.
One other thing is after you downgrade to 8.0, only connect WiFi; skip setting up your Microsoft account until after you do the hard reset after you update to Cyan/8.1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05