Live Folder UI Not Consistent

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I like the live folders with one exception. With every other part of Windows Phone, if you tap something to expand it, tapping the back button will contract it. Look at the calendar since 8.1. If you tap a day (in the month view, for instance), it expands showing appointments for that day. Tapping back contracts it. In alarms, if you tap snooze time (Update 1), it expands. Tapping back contracts.

But with Live Folders, you tap the folder to expand it, and tapping back does not contract it unless there is nothing in your back stack. I don't like the inconsistency. So I created a UserVoice topic for it...
Live Folders Contract on Back – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It only contracts/closes if there are no other apps open. If you have an app open it will go to that app. A minor issue but should be looked at.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
That's three thing. It is inconsistent. If they're is an app in the back stack, pursuing back goes to the last stop instead of closing the folder. If there is no app in the back stack, the folder closes. There needs to be consistency.

osars ehi

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Here's another annoying one....when you long press on a folder you can change its size or move it around (which is normal), but when you tap the folder again (I.e when you are satisfied with the size you want), you expects it to exit that state (referring to the state when customization of tile is possible) but it opens the folder instead....that's a bit of inconsistency

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It's just unfinished/unpolished at this point. The gray dividers instead of the proper accent color when using a start background is another issue.

vitor.rf

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure this is an "inconsistency" or that's unfinished/unpolished.

Pressing back (the arrow) will go back to the last place you were, not undo what you just did.
It's always been like this. That's why it's called "back" and not "Ctrl+z"

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure this is an "inconsistency" or that's unfinished/unpolished.

Pressing back (the arrow) will go back to the last place you were, not undo what you just did.
It's always been like this. That's why it's called "back" and not "Ctrl+z"

Wrong. Unpolished is the colors or typeography not being right. This is inconsistent. Did you read the first post? Does the back button do the same things no matter what is in the back stack? No.

If you expand the date on calendar and tap back, does it go back to the last place you were, or does it undo the expansion? It undoes the expansion. It doesn't close the calendar.

If you have a messagebox, no matter what app you're in, and you tap back, it doesn't go back to where you were - it dismisses the messagebox. It doesn't go back to the last page or close the app.

In anyplace where there is a drop-down that expands, tapping back contracts the expanded listbox. It doesn't go back to the last page.

With Live Folders, the back button does one thing if there's an independent app in the back stack, and one thing if there's nothing in the back stack. The action is completely dependent upon something that is outside the control of the Live Folders. It is totally dependent upon your past activities, instead of being consistent.

There is absolutely no way to argue that this is consistent behavior.

Last edited:

osars ehi

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I like the live folders with one exception. With every other part of Windows Phone, if you tap something to expand it, tapping the back button will contract it. Look at the calendar since 8.1. If you tap a day (in the month view, for instance), it expands showing appointments for that day. Tapping back contracts it. In alarms, if you tap snooze time (Update 1), it expands. Tapping back contracts.

But with Live Folders, you tap the folder to expand it, and tapping back does not contract it unless there is nothing in your back stack. I don't like the inconsistency. So I created a UserVoice topic for it...
Live Folders Contract on Back – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone
I think you are wrong, It's not actually an inconsistent in design. By design if you press the back key on the home screen, it actually scrolls straight to the top tiles (that's if there isn't any app in the background)....and at the same time closes any opened folder. You might not notice it initially, but try placing a folder at the bottom of your home screen, open it and press the back key. You'll notice that it doesn't just close the folder but it takes you to the very top of your home screen.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I think you are wrong, It's not actually an inconsistent in design. By design if you press the back key on the home screen, it actually scrolls straight to the top tiles.

[First, apologies for the crazy length of this.]

I started to compose the same kind of message, but then I realized that both you and Homeric are right, but about different things.

You are right that pressing Back when the back stack is empty goes to the top of the Start screen. It has done that at least since 8.0 and I think that it did as far back as 7.0.

I think that Homeric is wrong in saying that pressing Back is supposed to un-expand controls, as it does in the week view of the Calendar app after you've tapped a day to expand it.

Back has two functions: go to previous "place" and cancel an in-progress control. (For more on the primary function, please read the excellent Introducing the concept of Places by Peter Torr.)

The "un-expand" idea that Homeric noted really comes from the secondary function as a way of canceling an in-progress control. It's true that the ListPicker control accepts Back as a way of canceling its popped-up state, but it does that because Back also means "Cancel". That's why message boxes can be removed by pressing Back. (Note that tapping outside of a ListPicker's popup area also closes it and that pressing Back does not close an ExpanderView like the ones used in threaded email.)

If you accept the idea that Back means go to previous place or cancel an in-progress control display, that creates two problems. First, the Calendar behavior is wrong and second, the tile folder behavior is wrong. How so? Here's how:

For the Calendar, Back can't mean go to previous place because the screen never goes back to a previous place. While one could consider the Day Header to be an expandable control which Back cancels while it's in progress (i.e., waiting for you to select an event in that day), tapping outside of the control does NOT close it. This means that the Back behavior in the Calendar is inconsistent with the general OS.

For the Start screen, tile folders DO act like controls that are "in-progress" such that tapping outside of them causes them to close. (You can do this by placing one near the top or bottom and touching space not occupied by a tile -- the expanded tile folder with auto-close.) However, even though they act that way for touching, they don't from a Back button perspective.

Given all of that, I'm really pleased to see that Microsoft finally fixed an inconsistency that has driven me crazy since 7.0. Pre-8.1U1, tapping outside of the app bar when in the mail app did nothing; post 8.1U1, it now closes the app bar like it does in every other app.

Maybe there's hope for the company to address these consistency issues, too!

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
And how you will edit the tiles inside the folder? any better idea?

First, on home screen a long touch change to "edit" mode, where you can move the tile, change the tile size, and in 8.1.1, create a folder. But the only way to edit the folder content is opening it on edit mode, that's why if you tap on a folder tile in edit mode, you get yhe folder content, not finish the edit mode.

osars ehi

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
And how you will edit the tiles inside the folder? any better idea?

First, on home screen a long touch change to "edit" mode, where you can move the tile, change the tile size, and in 8.1.1, create a folder. But the only way to edit the folder content is opening it on edit mode, that's why if you tap on a folder tile in edit mode, you get yhe folder content, not finish the edit mode.
Nope that's not the only way. You can as well open the folder then long press on its contents to enable edit mode. Next time you should check for other possible options before you draw up your conclusions.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Here's another annoying one....when you long press on a folder you can change its size or move it around (which is normal), but when you tap the folder again (I.e when you are satisfied with the size you want), you expects it to exit that state (referring to the state when customization of tile is possible) but it opens the folder instead....that's a bit of inconsistency

Well this one to me makes sense. You can also resize the items INSIDE the folder, so that's why it stays in the 'modify' state when you open/close the folder tile.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Nope that's not the only way. You can as well open the folder then long press on its contents to enable edit mode. Next time you should check for other possible options before you draw up your conclusions.

I don't explain myself. What I mean is, the way the system works with tiles (gestures) is how folders works.

"the only way to edit the folder content is opening it on edit mode"

And it is true, if you want to edit the folder content, you need to stay in edit mode while the folder is open.

My post was a answer to hopmedic, the folder behavior is how tiles (in home screen) works, the folder is another tile, and it is working like all tiles works, a tap for open it, long pressing for edit the tile (size and ubication).

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

Live Folders Contract on Back ?€“ Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

Clicking the 'back' button closes the expanded Live Folder on the Lumia 810.

4ny0n3

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Hitting back to close the expanded folder only works when you have no apps in the background. Otherwise, hitting back will take you to the previously opened app, regardless of a folder being open or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos