Live Folder UI Not Consistent

Status
Not open for further replies.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to also add that if you press the volume up or down, the volume bar slides down from the top. If you press the back button it collapses it. I am running 8.0 so idk if it still works that wait in 8.1, but live folders should be consistent with that UI as OP said.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I want to take back my earlier statement that a tile folder is like any other UI control that is simply waiting for input (and for which the Back key would close). It isn't that and I can prove it with a simple test: tap a folder, tap an icon to launch an app, back out of the app -- ta-dah, the folder is still open, showing that its "openness" wasn't a transient state (or that there are two bugs).

It seems reasonably clear (or at least consistent) that Microsoft doesn't see an open folder as being a control in a transient UI state. If it did, the folder would have to close when making a choice (to complete the in-progress operation)or pressing the Back key (to cancel the in-progress operation). Given that is behaves in a non-transient manner when completing the action (i.e., that the folder remains open even after a choice is made), the Back key shouldn't close it either.

I suspect that this debate is going to continue down the same path that Kid's Corner/PIN debate did. Essentially, we're now arguing about whether Microsoft mis-implemented the feature that they think users wanted or properly implemented a feature that users should have wanted.

HTC13

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
This post is giving me a headache! To close an open folder, just press the "empty" folder above where all its contents dropped and then the app tiles will go back in the folder neatly closed again!

This is such a cool feature when you learn how to use the new live folders as is. Microsoft did a great job and hope they don't change a thing.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This post is giving me a headache!
You're in control of that. Don't like it, don't click it. Problem solved.

Some of us have figured out how it works, and are pointing out the inconsistency. Others want to complain about posts that they chose to read.

HTC13

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Some of us have figured out how it works, and are pointing out the inconsistency. Others want to complain about posts that they chose to read.

Maybe Microsoft chose to make the folders function this way. I think its excellent how they expand and contract the tiles inside.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You like it. Great. Some of us like consistency. When hitting one button does two different things that's inconsistent. But I don't want to give you a headache.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I thought live folders is still in Beta stage!

I would say Live Folders is the finished product. MS should ignore those people who have a problem because they think it is 'inconsistent', and I'm sure they will...
Live Folders function how they should, so let's move on and leave the OCD for another more important topic....

benny142

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
@ the start screen, when you press the back button it always used to go to the apps open in background. FYI, when your live folders are expanded its just your start screen only and not in edit mode of start screen. The back button should be taking to the previously opened app and not contract the live folders. What inconsistency are you talking about? If you press back button again from the background app you will see the screen with live folders in contracted mode only. The ui flow looks normal to me!!

satycool

May 15, 2013
Visit site
How do you get Live Folders ? Using a Lumia 930 and 1520(why buy a tablet when you can have both😊) both running 8.1 with Cyan. Can't seem to find it in app store?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I would say Live Folders is the finished product. MS should ignore those people who have a problem because they think it is 'inconsistent', and I'm sure they will...
Live Folders function how they should, so let's move on and leave the OCD for another more important topic....
Way to be open-minded and non-condescending.
Oops - that's the opposite. Never mind.

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
How do you get Live Folders ? Using a Lumia 930 and 1520(why buy a tablet when you can have both��) both running 8.1 with Cyan. Can't seem to find it in app store?
It isn't an app. Just drag one tile on top of another and a folder is created.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Nope.

Face it. Some people like to spin the wheel and see what they get. Some of us like to tap the back button and KNOW what it is going to do.

Well fortunately some of us DO know what is going to happen when they hit the back button. I haven't encountered anything out of the ordinary with Live Folders or anything else.
Then again, maybe I'm not using my phone correctly...

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Some of us don't try to remember if there is something in the back stack, so hitting the back button does the unexpected. Regardless, no intelligent being can deny that live folders are inconsistent when it comes to back button behavior. It does one thing in one case, and another thing in another case. That is the definition of inconsistent. If you like it the way it is, great. I don't. Microsoft has pushed consistency in messages to developers but failed to follow their own advice here.

I'm closing this thread. The original post has validity, but the thread has been run off-course.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo