Internet Sharing not shared

DiLioPi

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Anyone getting the same issue as I do?

After receiving GDR1, I can't turn on my internet sharing. I checked with AT&T (my provider) and my SIM is enabled for tethering. In fact, I swapped my SIM to my wife's phone (SGS4) and tethering works just fine. My wife's SIM on my phone is the same issue.

I'm pretty sure this is GDR1 issue as I had Lumia 520 which I used for tethering before the update, then stopped working after the update. I ordered Lumia 635 and arrived yesterday which I directly updated to GDR1. Now my L635 also has the same issue.

DiLioPi

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I hooked up my L520 to my computer and did Nokia Recovery Software back to Black firmware. IS works just fine. Let me get the Cyan update and see if I can still use IS.

DiLioPi

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok, seems like official Lumia Cyan update broke the sharing. My L520 with stock Cyan update can't turn on. I keep getting "Connection not shared" message. May be mod of the forum can move this to the correct thread?

DiLioPi

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Confirmed that my brand spanking new Lumia 635 cannot share internet after roll back to stock AT&T Image of Lumia Cyan.

MikeJSmith

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Same here on my Lumia 520 on AT&T. I have the 10GB shared plan and prior to the update Internet Sharing worked fine. Now, not so much. Neither Tech support or the WP guy at the brick and mortar could get it working. I've done everything I can think of and was getting ready to buy a Lumia 635 and then I read your experience. Unfortunately, as much as I love WP, this is a deal breaker. Not sure what the next step will be.

MikeJSmith

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I did the same as you and rolled back to WP 8 using the Nokia Software Recovery and Internet Sharing worked fine. Then I upgraded to 8.1 afresh - not restoring from a back-up and no internet sharing. Turn IS on and it turns itself off and says "Tethering not supported. Contact AT&T or call 611....blah, blah, blah" I'm wondering if this issue is peculiar to Go Phones (even though I use it on a post paid plan. This may explain why it didn't work on a Lumia 635 such as yours. I may pick up a used Lumia 925 if I could confirm that it works with 8.1.

Previously I had tried all sorts of APN settings...everything I could Google that might work. No solution found there either. I've also done about five hard resets.

Any thoughts or personal experiences thus far would be most welcome, anyone?

agion1

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I have an AT&T Lumia 1020 and 635. Both are on 8.1, update 1. Internet sharing on the 1020 will toggle and appear to work, but my surface will not connect (says it can't set up internet sharing). Other computers don't even pick up the broadcast (at least the ones other I tried). The 635 with 8.1, update 1, with Cyan, works. I can connect to the internet. It is an AT&T business account (other is consumer), should that mean anything.

MikeJSmith

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Mike, with my 635, I do not use the GoPhone sim, but a standard AT&T sim.

Right, I also use a post paid plan - AT&T put the regular SIM in the phone. It is just a GO Phone on a regular plan. The fact it is a GO Phone made me wonder if that may be an issue. However, I read on another forum that this same issue is affecting a large number of of AT&T customers. For now I am rolling back to WP8. Shame, I really like the Win 8.1 / Cyan upgrade. Kind of frustrated at this point...they get so close and then bugger it up.

DiLioPi

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Same here on my Lumia 520 on AT&T. I have the 10GB shared plan and prior to the update Internet Sharing worked fine. Now, not so much. Neither Tech support or the WP guy at the brick and mortar could get it working. I've done everything I can think of and was getting ready to buy a Lumia 635 and then I read your experience. Unfortunately, as much as I love WP, this is a deal breaker. Not sure what the next step will be.

My 635 works now after SIM swap by an AT&T Store.

threezit

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I tried the sim swap with my T-Mobile 925. It didn't work for me, even after a soft reset. What worked for me was to rename the broadcast name and make up a new password.

MikeJSmith

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
So I tried the SIM card swap and it didn't work. Rolling back to 8.0 is a no go as the Nokia Software Recovery Tool restores your phone to 8.1 GDR1. I also spent the $ to join the the Developer Preview Program and that didn't work either. I received one update through the DP and it did nothing to fix the Internet Sharing not working issue. Everything else works fine but this one issue and, unfortunately for me, it is a significant issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs