Action Center does not not retain the action icon on status bar even though there are remaining item

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
"Their tiles clear upon opening the app" You got it!! Clear ONLY when you launched the app! Not just because you see the count on the tile aka after you unlock the phone. Right? Likewise for notification center, I have only pulled down the action center to check for battery status, or even toggle switches, or going into settings, etc. I have NOT acknowledge the events. Why clear the icon???? The icon don't need to reappear at all for new items because the "past" NEW items are still there on the list! Just append the latest notifications to the list and retain the icon on the bar.

Simple said: As long as there are new items on the list, do not clear the icon. Until all items are read / acknowledge, remove the icon. Just like tile counters, the numbers are only reset when user has tapped / launched the appropriate apps. What I'm seeing here are double standards between the action center and tiles. Notifications on lock screen stay even we unlock the phone.

I see your point, and it may even be valid from a certain perspective. But I think the majority of users prefers the way it's currently working. I swipe down, skim through the notifications and leave them there as I consider them not important enough to deal with them as of yet. I decide to not clear them in order to be able to access them later. But I still want to see at a glance when there are new notifications popping in, in addition to those I've already seen. Which is what I'm able to do the way it's working right now. Otherwise I wouldn't.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Tiles, and now the Action Center icon in the status bar, clear "when you look inside" because you have seen what's new and chosen to act on the contents or the not act on them. Tile counts and the Action Center are "new" indicators, not "unhandled" indicators. This point is a big one that the community argued when 7.0 first came out and the email tile count showed how man new items were present rather than how Manu unread items were present. Microsoft made the right decision because, on a phone where I need quick and relevant info while on the go, I just need to know that something new has happened, not that some existing state continues to exist.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
"Their tiles clear upon opening the app" You got it!! Clear ONLY when you launched the app! Not just because you see the count on the tile aka after you unlock the phone. Right? Likewise for notification center, I have only pulled down the action center to check for battery status, or even toggle switches, or going into settings, etc. I have NOT acknowledge the events. Why clear the icon???? The icon don't need to reappear at all for new items because the "past" NEW items are still there on the list! Just append the latest notifications to the list and retain the icon on the bar.

Simple said: As long as there are new items on the list, do not clear the icon. Until all items are read / acknowledge, remove the icon. Just like tile counters, the numbers are only reset when user has tapped / launched the appropriate apps. What I'm seeing here are double standards between the action center and tiles. Notifications on lock screen stay even we unlock the phone.

Disagree, I believe it's working just fine right now. The icon acknowledges new, UNVIEWED items have arrived. I don't believe the idea was to show if items simply exist in the center. Best of both worlds right now, I'd like to see it stay this way.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Let me ask you a simple question. Will you remember that there are still outstanding items for you to check if the notification is gone, just because you slide down the action center bar to toggle a switch or just to look at the battery level? Please do note that you have not even taken a look of what's new on the action center. In other words, the new items are STILL available there on the panel, but the icon is gone. Does this actually sounds fine to you? Not me. I'm not asking the icon to stay there forever, but clearing the icon only AFTER I have ACKNOWLEDGE them or REMOVE the items. How the icon just went away because I slide down the shade? Regardless of they are the silent toast or normal ones, as long as the user has yet to see everything, the icon has to be there.
The icon only goes away if you open the notification centre too. If you just open it halfway, (to toggle a setting or 'View' battery) the icon stays there.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Maybe an enhancement is in order. How about the existing icon when new notifications come in, and a separate icon for 'notifications have been seen but not acted upon'. What do you all think?

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
That may cause clutter like the ugly Android status bar. And I repeat, the notification icon only disappears if you actually slide the shade all the way down so that the notifications are visible. If you only side it half-way down (which you should for toggling a setting or viewing battery) the notification icon remains--it doesn't vanish when you don't actually view the notifications.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Maybe an enhancement is in order. How about the existing icon when new notifications come in, and a separate icon for 'notifications have been seen but not acted upon'. What do you all think?

Heck no! There are more than enough icons along the top already. It's absolutely fine the way it's working right now.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi can see chmunn77 point on this and it makes sense but however the way it is, is fine. If you think about it if the notification centre says you have a new activity and forgot what it was for then 99% of the time the other app tiles will tell you (missed calls, text received, emails, facebook, WhatsApp) etc..... So the way it works is ok. But like I said I can understand where he/she is coming from but it really is all about making sure you got tiles on your screen that you need which will tell you if you have any missed calls. This is the way its always been and the notification is a bonus as it were

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi can see chmunn77 point on this and it makes sense but however the way it is, is fine. If you think about it if the notification centre says you have a new activity and forgot what it was for then 99% of the time the other app tiles will tell you (missed calls, text received, emails, facebook, WhatsApp) etc..... So the way it works is ok. But like I said I can understand where he/she is coming from but it really is all about making sure you got tiles on your screen that you need which will tell you if you have any missed calls. This is the way its always been and the notification is a bonus as it were

This! And I really think someone who rapidly forgets about notifications he has dismissed has some more serious problems no smartphone in the world could be able to help with. :D

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Chmunn77 I see your point but unfortunately still don't agree. Others have mentioned that the icon won't clear if you open it halfway but I can see how trying to do that quickly might be asking too much- unless you've practiced a lot.

I rather think the solution for you is to simply adjust how you use your phone. The problem you have stated doesn't outweigh the overall effectiveness of the solution, so it won't and shouldn't change. When I want to toggle something, I generally do open it all the way, and I take a mental note there and then that tapatalk has a new message, Bing news has something important, etc. Just glance at what app left something and you'll should easily get a gauge of importance.
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Tapatalk

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If it was done the way the OP wants it, the notification icon would ALWAYS BE THERE for 99% of users. That would be idiotic.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Tiles, and now the Action Center icon in the status bar, clear "when you look inside" because you have seen what's new and chosen to act on the contents or the not act on them. Tile counts and the Action Center are "new" indicators, not "unhandled" indicators. This point is a big one that the community argued when 7.0 first came out and the email tile count showed how man new items were present rather than how Manu unread items were present. Microsoft made the right decision because, on a phone where I need quick and relevant info while on the go, I just need to know that something new has happened, not that some existing state continues to exist.

IMO, items on action center are both "new" and "unhandled" items. Handled items will be removed from the action center automatically once you tapped on them. So there is nothing to worry about about being "new" at all. The problem is, I have yet to handled the items, yet the icons is totally gone. Things should just standardized. How lock screen and tiles works, should also apply to the action center. Action center is there to handle those unpinned apps as well as due to the lack of empty free slots to assign an app onto the lock screen .

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
If it was done the way the OP wants it, the notification icon would ALWAYS BE THERE for 99% of users. That would be idiotic.

Why would that be idiotic? Don't you wanna know there are still outstanding items for you to clear later in time after you have acknowledged only part of the list??? Or do you always clear EVERYTHING in one shot? You seriously think that it will be idiotic?

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Chmunn77 I see your point but unfortunately still don't agree. Others have mentioned that the icon won't clear if you open it halfway but I can see how trying to do that quickly might be asking too much- unless you've practiced a lot.

I rather think the solution for you is to simply adjust how you use your phone. The problem you have stated doesn't outweigh the overall effectiveness of the solution, so it won't and shouldn't change. When I want to toggle something, I generally do open it all the way, and I take a mental note there and then that tapatalk has a new message, Bing news has something important, etc. Just glance at what app left something and you'll should easily get a gauge of importance.
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Tapatalk

Well, perhaps at least we may need an option if do we want to icon to stay or not. You mentioned that you noticed new messages and Bing news when you wanna toggle something. However, you may not have the time to read everything listed there at that point of time. Then, the icon is gone for good. After that, do you still remember to catch up again what came in earlier, if there are no more new notifications? If glancing is just what everyone needs, what's the point of having that Clear All button? Simple flush every item away just like the icon upon closing the notification bar, since we have already glance everything. Right?

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
That may cause clutter like the ugly Android status bar. And I repeat, the notification icon only disappears if you actually slide the shade all the way down so that the notifications are visible. If you only side it half-way down (which you should for toggling a setting or viewing battery) the notification icon remains--it doesn't vanish when you don't actually view the notifications.

Right... and we must be careful of over-sliding the pull down shade. Thanks for the tip.

And what's wrong with having icons on the status bar? Is a status bar anyway! From what I see the status bar no longer hides itself since WP8.1. Having status icons are not ugly, but helpful. If you find it is messy, just make sure you clear / dismiss everything notification. Simple as that.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
This thread has been really educational. I originally wondered the same thing as the OP but this has cleared up a lot of things. It makes sense to be able to see only new things, like the "glance and go" selling point from before (or whatever they called it). One of the things I love since switching to WP is that I can check things easier and faster. On my Android phone I could see that I had 4 emails on my personal account, for example, but I had to open the app to see what they were if there was more than one. With WP I can glance and decide if it's something that needs to be dealt with now or later, and if it's a medium priority, I leave it in the action center. I really like that I can tap on one email without dismissing the rest.
It has definitely taken a little getting used to, but I like how it is set up on WP, and this thread has explained a lot.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
If you find it is messy, just make sure you clear / dismiss everything notification. Simple as that.

If you find that you can't remember to go back and read existing notifications that are left there just make sure you read them as soon as you see them. Simple as that!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos