What do members think about WP 8.1 so far?

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
IT'S ALIVE! LOL

Yeah, I see what you mean. Can't duplicate on my phone, which to reiterate is AT&T L920 running Black with DP 8.1 and Update 1.

Okay, folks, gauntlet time: Does anyone else get this ugliness in 8.1, with or without Cyan?

Ha ha ha -- we got there in the end mate. 😉

That's a good question to ask other members mate, because somebody who is already on Cyan -- L930 -- hasn't got this problem. Maybe it's only L920's -- it will be interesting to find out?

timppa_k

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Something wrong with the zoom coefficient wich scales the screen info to different screen resolution. Have you factory seset the phone after update? I know it is quite a lot to do after reset but something is in knot in your phone. Let's wait other comments to this problem. It is so signifigant someone mast react to it.
I have full HD resolution in Lumia 930 and the text is fully OK.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Something wrong with the zoom coefficient wich scales the screen info to different screen resolution. Have you factory seset the phone after update? I know it is quite a lot to do after reset but something is in knot in your phone. Let's wait other comments to this problem. It is so signifigant someone mast react to it.
I have full HD resolution in Lumia 930 and the text is fully OK.

Cheers mate, like you said it's better to see if other members have the same problem, before I do something so drastic. I don't want to risk bricking my phone. 😉

elmacho

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I feel WP 8.1 is a big stride forward compared with WP8 even with the hubs being removed. Agree completely with link . Most of the functionality of the hub has been restored, albeit in a different way and is being improved upon. The panoramic background in the photos hub is the only thing I miss about the hubs. I don`t have the text issue , which the OP mentioned , neither do I have cyan ,so can`t say much about it.

But there is something which has bothered me since upgrading to the DP. Why is it that , for an app if at the initial launch , I choose not to have the live tile , still have its background agent enabled? Why do the user again need to go back to the battery saver app to disable it?. Earlier, in WP8,this wasn`t the case as the background agent would automatically get disabled once live tile was disabled. This happens even for the official apps , so I don`t think its due to the app developers not making their apps compatible . Does Cyan fix this? Is it related to the OS or the firmware? I find it annoying that I need to do this task again. I like the fluidity of the OS which was one of the primary reason I switched to WP in addition to the modern UI, however cortana, live folders are just taking their toll, so I need to limit my background tasks. Any lag/stutter reminds me of the galaxy s4 I had a year back and its touchwiz UI :p

I haven`t gone back to WP8 and so, haven`t received cyan update. I am now on WP8.1 Update PFD. Thanks in advance

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
A simple thing like the settings menu, have it so its either alphabetical or user defined so we can reorder the list how we want to, as it stands its a complete mess and all over the place.

As for 8 to 8.1 in the UK well.. don't have Cortana, notifications is good but had that on Android YEARS ago, the swipe keyboard is fantastic as i hated the wp keyboard. aside from that nothing much has changed, there seems to be a lot of hype about 8.1, it jut feels like all talk and little change tbh. 8.1 update one brings folders...wow [sarcasm]

I hope MS have something worth talking about soon as its baby steps to get the basics done. Biggest gripe is the useless calendar and tasks app/options, its actually a deal breaker.

dameanestdude

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Tired of 8.1 ghost... It is still hauting.. Don't know when they will come out of there developer version and roll out the thing which is real and solid... Thumbs down to microsoft. Lumia 520 user

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I hate it!.. Just kidding :winktongue:

Once I get GDR1 / Cyan which ever is sooner than I will be in a better position to answer that question.

IamJonso

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Cheers mate, like you said it's better to see if other members have the same problem, before I do something so drastic. I don't want to risk bricking my phone. 😉

This issue is caused by iincreasing the text size in the ease of access settings.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
This issue is caused by iincreasing the text size in the ease of access settings.

I never thought of that, because of the difference in text sizes between menus.

Interestingly, it was automatically set at one notch down from maximum -- which came with the update -- so I moved it to minimum, which solved my problem. Thank you very much for all your help mate -- you're a star 😊

The1Weapon

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I love WP and have since the beginning, and while I really enjoy many of the improvements of 8.1, I do think that in some major ways, at least for me, it took a step back.

The hubs are one thing. Though they weren't perfect and much of their functionality has been recreated elsewhere in probably more functional manners, I still miss the centrality of the music and videos hub in addition to it's intergration with podcasts, the photos hub, and even the me tile in concert with the people hub. I loved a lot of the social integration that was built right in from a UX standpoint, though it may have broke at times due to back end changes by the networks themselves (FB/Twitter). It is a lot less elegant to me to go into the people hub to share something to a social network, but have to press the button that links directly into the function within the app, as opposed to doing it within the OS itself (like uploading pictures for example). I loved the joint uploading of statuses or changing of profile pictures from the me hub to FB/Twitter, that one can only do for Twitter now.

Everyone has basically sung the praises of the old photos hub, but yes, the panoramic pictures are definitely missed. I didn't mind the two clicks it took to get to my photos because the process was enjoyable along the way.

While I also enjoyed the centrality of the music + video hub, in that area, for me, the main stickler is that in using the 3rd party app tools to now make those into separate, more easily updatable apps, the experience just isn't as fluid as it was in the past when they were native apps. Do I like the concept of the apps being update more often? Yes. And in practice, has it shown some promise? Yes. But this is more than a functionality or speed complaint, because those can be improved upon all the time. But the apps just aren't fluid. And this actually somewhat extends further to my main complain with the entire OS. It just doesn't feel as fluid as it once felt and on top of that it feels even slower in many areas.

Animations may be faster, or going from one area to another may happen more quickly, but it also feels jerky in the process. Categories and lists often jump and jerk into place as you scroll in any direction. The direct movement of a manipulatable item is often times not as 1-to-1 with your finger as it used to be (as evidenced by the Xbox Music app, and even IE). There are soooooo many "loading" and "resuming" pauses and screens where that seemed like to almost never used to happen. It could just be due to my hardware (using a 928), but WP used to run quite well on all hardware just about. The old text editing cursor wasn't perfect, but I find that it required a lot less concentration to get it in the exact place that I need it to be now than when I used to (I know that's not a fluidity issue, but it's all UX).

It just feels weird now that so much more of the essential OS features are now separate apps, which brings a sacrifice in quality of experience. I don't feel like it's the right direction. A split second here and a half second there where the OS used to instantly do the same function, means something, especially if you come from a place where it's been instant before. I literally just opened my calendars app and switching from one view to another, for instance, took about a full second after I pressed which view I want to look at (day, week, month, year). That didn't used to be like that. Don't mean to rant and complain, but I'll just end it with this (and you can blame this on the Xbox music team or what have you, but this is the kind of stuff I'm talking about):

I've been very patient with the Xbox Music app, and just have taken the standpoint that it'll come along. This morning I was in church and I am in control of the sound system. I was playing some music on it during the service off of a playlist that I had created earlier. First off, I've been frequently having an issue where the bar that shows where you're at in the song (in addition to how much time has elapsed on the left, and how much time is left, on the right) freezes up. Many times recently, I've had to completely back out of and go back into the app to see if I can get it to move along with where I'm at in the music, as opposed to getting stuck in one place. Then I had a completely separate issue that ruined the whole mood of the service. I was previously downloading a song that I had on my playlist and when it got to that song, the song wouldn't play. It just said "opening" for a minute. I tried to skip to the next song, because that created an awkward pause. This next song I already had stored locally on my phone, and yet when I reached that song, also, It wouldn't play. It just said "opening" for about a minute before I gave up and closed the app as the service continued on. Nobody tripped off of it, but to me, it was embarrassing. I've never had this issue before and similarly it happened later today when trying to switch to playing a podcast while I was already playing music in my car. This is the kind of stuff that just seriously detracts from the user experience that at least I once held in very high regard from WP. It's frankly disappointing. I hope this and a lot of other stuff (third party support both in coming to the platform and being consistent in their support post-launch, for instance) improves.

I love the platform, but I just want it to do a lot better, so all of it's Is need to be dotted and Ts crossed.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
The1Weapon -- thank you for your opinion, much appreciated.

I totally agree with you in regards to panoramic pictures and not minding two clicks -- like you, the process was enjoyable as it was pleasing to the eye.

Also, I have noticed the same issues with 'loading' and 'resuming', but like you said, it might be the hardware -- L920. It would be interesting to find out if other members, have noticed the same issues with similar models?

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Oh and let's not forget that 8.1 added scan and fix problems with the SDcard. I wish I didn't have to do it every week, but at least the phone can do it and I don't have to insert the SDcard into a PC before I can use it again (like I had to do with 8.0)

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Oh and let's not forget that 8.1 added scan and fix problems with the SDcard. I wish I didn't have to do it every week, but at least the phone can do it and I don't have to insert the SDcard into a PC before I can use it again (like I had to do with 8.0)

I never knew that used to happen, because I don't have a SDcard -- thankyou for the added information.

coldmail-inlook

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Well... let's also not forget that, if I use my Lumia 625 to take a picture while it is hooked up to my Windows 8.1 laptop via USB, the newly created picture file does not show up in Windows Explorer until I unplug and re-plug the USB cable so that the Windows Explorer window closes itself and so that I am forced to navigate to the Camera Roll folder again, where I am then forced to scroll down to the bottom again by pressing CTRL + END. Oh, and... let's also not forget that if you thought just clicking on the Refresh button in Windows Explorer might fix the problem, you should think again!

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Well... let's also not forget that, if I use my Lumia 625 to take a picture while it is hooked up to my Windows 8.1 laptop via USB, the newly created picture file does not show up in Windows Explorer until I unplug and re-plug the USB cable so that the Windows Explorer window closes itself and so that I am forced to navigate to the Camera Roll folder again, where I am then forced to scroll down to the bottom again by pressing CTRL + END. Oh, and... let's also not forget that if you thought just clicking on the Refresh button in Windows Explorer might fix the problem, you should think again!

Yeah MTP sucks, which is why I will never buy another WP without an SD card (so I can just put that directly in the PC).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss