Xbox Games app - What's the point now?

anon(8770622)

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I've been wondering about the Xbox Games app recently, what is the point of it now? All your games appear in the app list now, and you can make live folders with your games on the start screen.

The Xbox Extras app for changing your avatar has also been pulled some weeks ago, and has not returned, so you can't edit your avatar anymore. Also, the Xbox Games app hasn't seen any updates in a long time, to keep up with Xbox Music and Video (no transparent tile).

I think it would be nice if it was an optional app in the store, and you could uninstall it.

Last edited:

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
well Microsoft is a bit of a miss nowdays, I prefer having my games on the xbox hub and not flooding my app list, all I ask is an updated xbox games app that can open instantly

Hornet2012

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I've been wondering about the Xbox Games app recently, what is the point of it now? All your games appear in the app list now, and you can make live folders with your games on the start screen.

The Xbox Extras app for changing your avatar has also been pulled some weeks ago, and has not returned, so you can't edit your avatar anymore. Also, the Xbox Games app hasn't seen any updates in a long time, to keep up with Xbox Music and Video (no transparent tile).

I think it would be nice if it was an optional app in the store, and you could uninstall it.

It would be nice to have a settings toggle to remove hide games from the apps list. I must say I miss my avatar from the live tile as well, and the fact that Xbox one cheevos don't show really is making the hub a disappointment!

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I honestly think they're killing Xbox Games for WP. That would fit with the removal of a functional XBG app. Now everything is so slow and games are in your app list =(

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Yep, it's almost certain that Xbox Games on Windows Phone is going to die. All of its core functions (e.g. XBL friends) will probably be put in SmartGlass.

Moving forward Windows Phone's approach to games will be about the same as iOS and Android. It's a bit sad, but it's not a huge loss in the big scheme of things. There are more Windows Phone users than there are Xbox One owners. It's not WP that needs to leverage Xbox, but the Xbox team that needs to leverage Windows Phone.

Let's see if the Xbox team actually smartens up to this fact. If they do they'll make investments in pushing the Xbox ecosystem on Windows Phone. We could see a revival of games with Xbox Live, more robust SmartGlass and second screen interoperability, perhaps an 'Xbox Phone' design to take on PS Vita, perhaps AAA titles designed for Windows Phone, etc.

Last edited:

Hornet2012

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Yep, it's almost certain that Xbox Games on Windows Phone is going to die. All of its core functions (e.g. XBL friends) will probably be put in SmartGlass.

Moving forward Windows Phone's approach to games will be about the same as iOS and Android. It's a bit sad, but it's not a huge loss in the big scheme of things. There are more Windows Phone users than there are Xbox One owners. It's not WP that needs to leverage Xbox, but the Xbox team that needs to leverage Windows Phone.

Let's see if the Xbox team actually smartens up to this fact. If they do they'll make investments in pushing the Xbox ecosystem on Windows Phone. We could see a revival of games with Xbox Live, more robust SmartGlass and second screen interoperability, perhaps an 'Xbox Phone' design to take on PS Vita, perhaps AAA titles designed for Windows Phone, etc.
It's a big deal for me! I left IOS for it and the only reason to stay would be because I have grown to like WP. The music functionality on iPhone is much better with iTunes and I would be tempted back. The Xbox music apps on Windows and WP has really put me off and if Xbox games goes then a large screen iPhone would probably lure me back!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786