Negative attitude towards Windows Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I often see posts on the internet regarding how much windows phone sucks or how they would never use it no matter how good it is;

My most recent example is this ; https://twitter.com/9GAG/status/498151791348166656 The official 9gag twitter account saying that no matter how good WP will be i would still stay at apple..

How come people have this ultra negative attitude towards WP? i mean i understand alot of hate that WP gets, then again Apple and Google get alot of hate on their OS'es.

dj9928

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
A lot of folk have this attitude, it could be a carry on from the Windows Mobile days which was $hit, To be honest the love of all things Apple and iPhone baffles me, I recently got an iPhone 5C as a free upgrade, played with it a day and it just had to go, iOS is rubbish, I can't understand why it gets so much love. So eBayed the 5C and got a 920 and wireless charger and still had over ?100 left from what I got from the 5C.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
People get locked into the apple ecosystem. It's extremely hard to make that change when you have potentially thousands of dollars invested in it, and would lose it all when you change. They rationalize this to themselves by bashing the other phones.

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
It's really odd, and goes further than simple fanboyism. I have a friend who's 32 and uses an iPhone 5, and each time the fact I use a Lumia Windows Phone comes up, he's compelled to make a derogatory comment. The most recent was "have you had BSOD yet?". As far as I'm aware, he's never even used Windows Phone. He isn't an Apple ******, he definitely doesn't frequent online forums to discuss mobile operating systems. I have no idea where his opposition to WP comes from. The only logical thing I can think of, is that using the iPhone brand has made him *believe* his phone is superior in some way. Or that because he pays a fortune for it, it must be the best. It's just very odd.

dj9928

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Apple would be my last choice of phone at the moment, don't get me wrong I had the 3G,3GS,4,4S, and the 5C for a day, but I think after about iOS4 things just got stuck for the iPhone while everyone else over took them, iOS is just so dated now its horrible, Now I have owned a Nexus 4 in the past and do love android, but for we WP just has the edge.

tanujkhandelwal585

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
Seriously, even I have a friend like this....appreciating "Android" all the time. Android though is a nice OS, maximum apps comes first on android, but still if compared to Windows OS, Android is somehow lagging behind in features like fast processing in low RAM, virus free OS(I heard so), regular exciting updates, increasing games and apps, etc etc. Windows OS is just increasing its extend beyond user expectations. Right or not? I have used both OS, obvio found Windows much better. No complaints regarding Windows OS.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
It's really odd, and goes further than simple fanboyism. I have a friend who's 32 and uses an iPhone 5, and each time the fact I use a Lumia Windows Phone comes up, he's compelled to make a derogatory comment. The most recent was "have you had BSOD yet?". As far as I'm aware, he's never even used Windows Phone. He isn't an Apple ******, he definitely doesn't frequent online forums to discuss mobile operating systems. I have no idea where his opposition to WP comes from. The only logical thing I can think of, is that using the iPhone brand has made him *believe* his phone is superior in some way. Or that because he pays a fortune for it, it must be the best. It's just very odd.

In certain circles it's very fashionable to despise Windows in any form and/or to hate Microsoft just because it's Microsoft. This attitude was VERY common in the '90s during the Windows-OS/2 wars, it didn't flag during the antitrust suits of the late '90s and early aughts, and any Apple, Linux, or Android True Believer maintains it to this day. Your friend may not be a True Believer, but if he's been exposed to some he may have caught the bug. Lots of folks repeat what True Believers say because of the fashionability.

Of course, we have WP True Believers, too. Main difference is they haven't been mainstream fashionable yet. :amaze:

My wife and kids have iPhones. They're nice phones and work for them. I have a Lumia 920 because it does what I need and it's more fun for me, not because of any True Believer nonsense.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I think it's a combination of the lack of apps and the history Microsoft has with mobile phones. Their older phones really sucked and up until 8.1 they've really just haven't been the best options. I think that on top of the whole lack of apps turns the average person completely off to the idea of windows phone. I think it's more of the association that had gone along with the branding.

It's like Kia cars. Although they've gotten considerably better and actually make decent cards they'll always been known for when they were complete junk.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
A bad reputation is hard to shake and something so easily avoidable imo for a company with as much resources as Microsoft but now that the reputation is there they will have an uphill battle.

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
It's PR, it's psychology, it's well conducted advertisement campaigns + consistency in performance over the years, which form a BRAND and its value. That's where WP struggles.

PradeepKr

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Apple or Google may have something that may be better but majority of people criticise or overlook WP because of Sheep Walk attitude and after that need for justification of there choice. They are afraid of making choices that does not belong to majority.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Pricing can play a psychological factor when it comes to technology, it is expensive "so it must be a premium and amazing product", When I'm having my off days and my ios totting friends make a derogatory comment - all i say is "Lets do a drop test and check what is more durable, my "dino" 920 or your fancy smancy iphone 5s inside their cases", that shuts them right up (two have tried previously, need less to say they were at the Stratford Westfield Apple Store in under an hour and still are not speaking to me) :winktongue:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I often see posts on the internet regarding how much windows phone sucks or how they would never use it no matter how good it is;

My most recent example is this ; https://twitter.com/9GAG/status/498151791348166656 The official 9gag twitter account saying that no matter how good WP will be i would still stay at apple..

How come people have this ultra negative attitude towards WP? i mean i understand alot of hate that WP gets, then again Apple and Google get alot of hate on their OS'es.

My thought is:
The internet is the best way to propagate "hate" for anything.
Being positive is for happy people who stay far far away from the web.

Heck I sit and drink beer with other phone OS users sharing pics and happy stuff we found on the web and we like each other...
Meanwhile arguing on the internet continues.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
My thought is:
The internet is the best way to propagate "hate" for anything.
Being positive is for happy people who stay far far away from the web.

Heck I sit and drink beer with other phone OS users sharing pics and happy stuff we found on the web and we like each other...
Meanwhile arguing on the internet continues.

Great advice for life in general right there.

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site

No, using the Windows brand for years has made many people antipathic towards MS in general and towards anything with the name Windows in particular.

For years, it's been an accepted fact that Windows=crashes, BSODs, viruses, performance issues and so on (yes, this was mostly fixed in W7 and up). Naturally, when people hear that you have Windows on phones these days, they naturally assume that WP behaves the same way as their eight year old Windows XP laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss