Vote here for smart dialing (typing in a numbers in the dialer shows up names with those numbers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry if there is already a post about this however a quick search resulted in zero results.

A simple post, vote here for smart dialing:

Smart Dialing – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

Background info:

I recently started recommending WP to some of the people who I have been teaching very basic IT (thank you MS for windows 8! otherwise I would have gone insane from boredom, seriously be out of regular work for a few months and that is when you realise you have become institutionalized :crying: lol). As previously they weren't ready for that transition, it would be information over load lol.

One of the first remarks they made when after I had tailored my start screen to their feed back was smart dialing or speed dialing, my dad said the same thing. Out of 30 users, 28 users asked about it.. so that got me thinking why wasn't this addressed.

When I looked up user voice, it had very little votes at most being 480 (after my 3 votes).

So without further ado, spam those votes!

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
You know.. I never thought of it like that :p w8 has been a headache to deal with, but it has been fun trying to solve all the problems

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Lol, having a few months to ponder about what your going to do next does widen your perspective unless you like being confined to a cubicle which is no bigger than a lavatory domicile:winktongue: .

The first time I used windows 8 in a VMware I felt like hitting my head on a concrete breeze block to nullify the migrane that was being to encompass my brain lol. Had to imagine I had a larger screen than my 17inch laptop, as moving the cursor to the bottom corner zones didn't work, drag to close from the top was tempermental, not to mention the whole host of issues I ran into (however all this is a given as it was an emulated environment after all).

I normally don't wish any one ill, but the person or team who though hiding the power off button in the settings charm (the amount of complains I get about that is unbelievable), needs to have some sense slapped into them with a dead rotten piranha or something.. :evil: lol. Yesterday I had to listen to a guy grumble on about that for an hour, couldn't get a word in edge ways. The only way I could get him to stop was installing the Updates to windows 8.0 and show him it was fixed - even a youtube video didn't stop him :eck: (this is where skype translator would have really saved my ear drums lol).

The way I see windows 8 and I tell the users that I teach, is that they are using a more efficient version of windows 7 with a snazzy user interface plus a lot more features. As the first thing a new user used to ask is, "can you downgrade this to XP or windows 7 for me?". Once they have sat and processed that they become more accepting.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hahahah really!! How long did it take you to come up with this answer :grin: And yes that seems to be the primary question ("Can I downgrade?") but I usually tell them that it really isn't necessary to do that.. Personally I'm still sticking to w7 on my main machine and keeping my fingers crossed for w9 lol

W8 makes much more sense on a tablet if you ask me

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Lol off it was off the cuff, my friends tell me I always type essays when I respond to something.. lazy turtles that don't want to read if you ask me . I'm planning on getting the SP3 i7 512gb model, saving ?10 a week for it.

W8 is amazing on a tablet like the surface 2, when I showed my cousin what the Surface RT could do - she changed her mind about selling it and upgrading. Instead she plans to keep it and get the Surface 2 LTE haha.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hahah that is an amazing answer if you ask me :D Leadership or motivational speaker might be sth for you and could help with the SP3 :p I might use your method to save up for a SP as well lol

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Haha, thanks and the SP3 is just tooo damn good its a shame not many tech websites understand the power of the bluetooth button lol.

keerthi vasan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry if there is already a post about this however a quick search resulted in zero results.

A simple post, vote here for smart dialing:

Smart Dialing – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

Background info:

I recently started recommending WP to some of the people who I have been teaching very basic IT (thank you MS for windows 8! otherwise I would have gone insane from boredom, seriously be out of regular work for a few months and that is when you realise you have become institutionalized :crying: lol). As previously they weren't ready for that transition, it would be information over load lol.

One of the first remarks they made when after I had tailored my start screen to their feed back was smart dialing or speed dialing, my dad said the same thing. Out of 30 users, 28 users asked about it.. so that got me thinking why wasn't this addressed.

When I looked up user voice, it had very little votes at most being 480 (after my 3 votes).

So without further ado, spam those votes!
Use truedialer app. Works just fine. Filters your contacts according to the numbers you type in almost instantly. Using this one Would not bother us WP users used to 3rd party apps.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Voted. Do you think MS cares?

Thanks, in short they care about what the users want / shout about the most :p or would you rather have them base everything off just telemetry data alone?

Use truedialer app. Works just fine. Filters your contacts according to the numbers you type in almost instantly. Using this one Would not bother us WP users used to 3rd party apps.

Try explaining that to someone who doesn't speak your language or very broken english lol.. I teach for free so I get all sorts of people from the neighboring flats / houses (never under estimate the word of mouth lol)

If I was at MS, I would hire the devs of the true dialer app and incorporate them into the windows team :grin:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone 8.1 already has speed dial.
Most don't remember numbers, they use names.

I'm aware that WP 8.1 has speed dial, hence why I didn't link / look for user voice post for it. The smart dial user voice post linked is an old one, as there is no point duplicating posts and diverting votes when they should be consolidated into one post.

There was many occasions when I was already in the dialer and would type in the name of the person I wanted to dial (this is when I started using windows phone 8) but now what I used to is open the people hub and copy the second number I want to dial, for example I need to a spoke to a contractor for maintenance and provide a tenant an update. I would go to the people hub go to the tenant's entry copy the number, go to the contractors entry - call the company. When finished, paste and call the tenant with the update. Since the previous number is in the call history I don't need to go hunt through the people hub again if I have to call the maintenance company. There are always solutions to issues if you are willing to adjust and adapt your work flow.

With smart dialer, you could just type the persons name or part of their number and it would pop up in the dialer... much more efficient.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos