Okay, I screwed up bad!!!

HHammack1

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
First time forum poster. Okay, here's the deal. I have a Lumia 1520. I had installed the dev preview, but I wanted the Cyan update and I wasn't getting the update from AT&T. So I thought I would revert back to WP8 and just go through the entire installation process new. However, when I started the Nokia Software Recovery Tool, it said I can install Cyan. I already had 8.1 and the update 1. So I went through the process thinking it would simply add Cyan, and now I have a phone with 8.1 and Cyan, but obviously no update 1. Also all my photos, music, and installed apps are gone of course.

Is there any way I can restore a backup to my previous 8.1 + update 1 state without wiping out Cyan? If so, how? I'd like to get all my apps, photos, music, contacts and settings back without having to do it all manually. It says my phone is up to date when I check for updates, but I don't have folders that I had before. I have 8.1 and the notification center.

For what it's worth, when I check for updates, it says my phone is up to date, but since I no longer have folders, that can't be right.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
When you used the Nokia recovery tool, you took your phone off of the developer preview. Just re-enroll yourself, then (if you backed up before you reset your phone) do a hard reset and then back up from your last backup.

HHammack1

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. If I did that, why do I still have the notification and 8.1 features? I'm also showing phone is up to date in "phone update". My phone is also showing I have Cyan? It only seems to be Update 1 that I don't have.

I'm completely confused.

HHammack1

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
My phone had multiple backups, and when I signed in I was going to do a restore and I skipped it and moved on. It was showing me a backup from a week ago.

Update 1 gives you access to OS Beta features,like you were using before you got stable Cyan

Looks like I'm going to have to start all over, because I don't have that.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. If I did that, why do I still have the notification and 8.1 features? I'm also showing phone is up to date in "phone update". My phone is also showing I have Cyan? It only seems to be Update 1 that I don't have.

I'm completely confused.

You have 8.1 + Cyan because that's what you backed up to. You didn't backup to 8.1.1 + Cyan. Your phone is in fact officially up to date, so that's why there's no update. You're not on the developer preview, so you have nothing to update to.

HHammack1

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
True! Impatience will do that to you. Of course I thought AT&T had already released Cyan, and that Microsoft had already fixed the dev preview. Oh well, live and learn. I think I'll stay on final updates from now on.

HHammack1

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys! I got all my apps and games back at least, but my photos are gone, my start screen is screwed, and I still don't have Update 1 and live folders, and the phone won't update to it. I'll leave it at that. Maybe update 1 will come soon.

AstroPop

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
You should really have your photos automatically backed up to OneDrive. I think it's a check box in settings under OneDrive

HHammack1

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I just haven't done it simply because I only have about 100 photos, and it's not difficult to put them on the phone. I also like to rearrange my photos often.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys! I got all my apps and games back at least, but my photos are gone, my start screen is screwed, and I still don't have Update 1 and live folders, and the phone won't update to it. I'll leave it at that. Maybe update 1 will come soon.

Yeah, 8.1 doesn't know what to do with folders, so it probably messed with the apps inside them.

Just out of curiosity, did you not backup your photos via OneDrive? If not, then that's a huge oversight to not back them up to a PC first.

Edit: Nevermind. Already asked.

HHammack1

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, 8.1 doesn't know what to do with folders, so it probably messed with the apps inside them.

Strangely, I didn't take advantage of the folders function when I had it. I just played with it a bit. When I used the recovery tool, it seems to simply have deleted update 1. Strange!

Thanks again.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

Update 1 could take months before it is pushed out by AT&T. I recognize you no longer want to use a developer preview and I typically recommend against casual users installing it. However, this one is more fixes than anything else and that it appears unlikely that there will be an associated firmware update. So in the event you want to install it, all you need to do is install the Preview for Developers app (if not already installed), go into the app and login with your Microsoft account and select to enable it. Then when you check for phone updates, it should download and install Update 1. After this is installed, you can perform another hard reset and restore from your old backup if you wish which would restore your settings and start screen. However, your photos and music are gone if you didn't back them up. You might have a copy of your photos on OneDrive if you have the automatic upload turned on.
I have a 1520 as well. I keep my photos, music, etc. on an SD card and use the phone memory only for installing apps. This avoids losing everything in the event you need to do a hard reset or restore, although I recommend backing up to a computer also if possible. If you ever need to do a recovery or hard reset in the future, go into Settings/Backup and verify that backup for both apps+settings and text messages is turned on. Then click on apps+settings and "backup now" and then go into your e-mail and accounts and force a sync on your Microsoft account to ensure that the newest text messages are backed up.
I think the confusion here is that it appears that they may have updated the recovery tool to install 8.1 and Cyan directly instead of going to 8.0 as in the past. (It still should have told you that you will lose your data before proceeding). I haven't verified this myself yet though although this past Friday I installed it on someone's phone and only got 8.0 and had to manually do the updates to Cyan and 8.1 so it is possible that they might have updated it over the weekend or today.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Strangely, I didn't take advantage of the folders function when I had it. I just played with it a bit. When I used the recovery tool, it seems to simply have deleted update 1. Strange!

Thanks again.

No problem. But yeah, what you're saying makes sense. It didn't "delete" Update 1, it just installed 8.1. Think of it like buying a copy of Windows 8 and installing it to your Windows 8.1 PC. It wouldn't "delete" 8.1, just overwrite it.

IMO, you might as well re-enroll (and REMEMBER TO BACKUP PHOTOS) since updating to 8.1.1 would probably fix your start screen.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Do you still have dev preview application installed ?if no, Install it and log into it. If yes, uninstall and install it again and log into it, might give you update 1.

iluvtilz

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
I think all you had to do was go back into dev preview app and put a check back in the box to reenroll then check for updates to get update 1. When you roll back it clears the check box, so you have to enable the app again. That's all I had to do.
1520 att

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand why people are rushing to get updates. You can get all the benefits when you rush into it, but it will not be worth all the headaches later on. Patience is a virtue. :)
I got my 1520 RM-937 HK country variant from amazon with Black installed. I was expecting to get the cyan update here in Toronto late this year because 1520 is not released here in Toronto so I thought I would be the last one to get it. I was surprised I got the update last week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss