Why Lumia 520 is given preference over other phones by Microsoft ???

sivaramp

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft has confirmed Cyan update for several Nokia Lumia smartphones including Lumia 920, 820, 720, 620 and 525 starting September.
As of now, Microsoft has already rolled out the Cyan update for Nokia Lumia 625, 925, 1320 and 1520 in India. The company also kicked off the deployment of the upgrade for Nokia Lumia 520 and Lumia 1020.

Lumia 520 = Lumia 1020 > Lumia 920, 820, 720, 620, 525

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Probably because the 520 is the most popular Windows Phone. It has consistently been the best selling of all Windows Phone models.

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It looks to me like they are doing it in roughly reverse order by the dates the phones were released. I don't know why people insist on taking it as a personal insult that whatever algorithm they're using didn't put their phone first. For older phones there's nothing in it that you couldn't have had for months with the dev preview anyway.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If there's one thing that turns me off from Windows Phone it's this.

Why can't Microsoft follow Apple's approach of releasing updates for every phone simultaneously? I can't say I buy the argument that there too many variations to test. They seem to handle it just fine with Windows which is available on hundreds of differing platforms, not a just a small handful of devices.

Although, I'd also argue that there are way too many Lumia variants. I don't think it's a good for anyone to have this much granularity.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
oh now that you included windows for desktops, it is quite contrasty.. they push updates for an almost infinite number of different hardware configurations and even conflicting software, but then for phones it is so hard to even release the same update for 2 phones at once... I know I know.. desktop computers tolerance towards OS crap and bad optimizations is clearly superior but then again.. they could make it a "manual" update so the user can opt to install it and fine tune it by himself, that's what I like about windows on x86 machines, it is intended to work autonomously but any rough edges left you have the option to fix them, like a middle ground between osx and Linux, I would like to see windows phone behaving that way too

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Microsoft has confirmed Cyan update for several Nokia Lumia smartphones including Lumia 920, 820, 720, 620 and 525 starting September.
As of now, Microsoft has already rolled out the Cyan update for Nokia Lumia 625, 925, 1320 and 1520 in India. The company also kicked off the deployment of the upgrade for Nokia Lumia 520 and Lumia 1020.

I can think of a little more than 12 million reasons. That's the sales numbers for the 520.

Lumia 520 = Lumia 1020 > Lumia 920, 820, 720, 620, 525

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If there's one thing that turns me off from Windows Phone it's this.

Why can't Microsoft follow Apple's approach of releasing updates for every phone simultaneously? I can't say I buy the argument that there too many variations to test. They seem to handle it just fine with Windows which is available on hundreds of differing platforms, not a just a small handful of devices.

Although, I'd also argue that there are way too many Lumia variants. I don't think it's a good for anyone to have this much granularity.

Windows Phone is done differently than its desktop counterpart.
Also there is so much more phones in the Lumia lineup unlike Apple, and Apple is unique in that it has control over its updates on carrier devices.
And funny, I remember people once complaining how the 520 was seemingly last despite its popularity. Just can't please everyone..

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Cause I own one :cool:

Its the best selling Windows Phone & am surprised it even took this long though... Not sure what order they are releasing it in, but am guessing its based on the quantum of sales/ no. of users.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Apple set their terms, and all carriers have to abide by them. Easy when you are the money maker for the networks.

Microsoft are busy begging the carriers to take their phones. Hard to force the carriers hand, when they are barely interested in your product.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
T-mo just sucks

Look, there's going to be a complaint about everything, you can't please everyone. All these Uncarrier concessions and lower cost plans cost money, and T-Mobile has limited resources.
Their priorities are in other places too, not just making sure the 521 gets its update ASAP no matter what.
Try to keep that in mind. But what do I know, they could just suck, that's possible, since I don't have insider knowledge.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster