What OS allows app downloads without an account?

BarryII

May 8, 2014
Visit site
There's lots of software for computers that doesn't require an email address or any kind of account before you can download and install it. Do any phone operating systems have apps like that, so you can just download them without a Microsoft or Google account or anything like that? What do you think is the OS with the least intrusive apps?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ignoring whether a phone requires an account to begin with...

Palm OS
Windows Mobile, Windows CE
Newton
probably Symbian
potentially Android (ignoring Google accounts and Google Play services - only when sideloaded, like the others)

BarryII

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I'll be trying one of those then. I hate that I can't view my own computer's videos and documents that I successfully uploaded to my phone without a Microsoft account. So I finally opened an account and now my email is downloaded automatically, which I didn't want! Then I tried installing Adobe Reader and I was confused by the requirement to include a two digit code after the last four digits of my phone number because it didn't appear when I tried entering it, so I tapped "I can't do this now" and closed Office and reopened it but I'm not getting another chance to install it..it just says Check Install > Download Pending for the last 5 minutes. I hate Windows Phone!

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I'll be trying one of those then. I hate that I can't view my own computer's videos and documents that I successfully uploaded to my phone without a Microsoft account. So I finally opened an account and now my email is downloaded automatically, which I didn't want! Then I tried installing Adobe Reader and I was confused by the requirement to include a two digit code after the last four digits of my phone number because it didn't appear when I tried entering it, so I tapped "I can't do this now" and closed Office and reopened it but I'm not getting another chance to install it..it just says Check Install > Download Pending for the last 5 minutes. I hate Windows Phone!

It seems like you got confused by a 2-factor authentification. Also, sometimes downloads get stuck. Did you try cancelling it and trying again before you came on here to say how you hate the phone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb