WP8.1 battery drain caused by Cortana

Ryan ODonnell

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I am using a Nokia Lumia 630, and I notices that after several updates and having Cortana pinned to the Start screen, things started to slow, lag and the battery starts to drain like crazy.
Also, just being on the Start screen causes my phone screen to get severely hot!

Before unpinning the Cortana tile, my battery lasted around an average of 8-9 hours, both in standby and in use.
There are no background apps running.

After unpinning the Cortana tile, my battery life improved to an average of 12 hours in use and around 32hours standby. Yet again, no background apps are running and also the Start screen lag is gone!
My phone no longer gets hot on the Start screen after unpinning the tile.

Give it a go and see if this works!

Using Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1; Lumia Cyan.

Last edited:

clickclacker

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I am using a Lumia 920 which always lasted all day and night in terms of battery. After having Cyan update my battery is dead by 6pm. I disabled Cortana, I don't need it anyway I just use bing search, but...now my Quiet hours functions aren't there and in the old OS version it used to be easy to turn off Text and Email sounds at night before I went to bed and now I can't even find where to do that - this is MADDENING. I have EMAIL WAKING ME UP ALL NIGHT LONG. I want to remove CYAN. How do I remove this update? Where can I access the sounds for TEXT and EMAIL to turn off manually at night? I love my windows phone, but NOT WITH CORTANA. IT DIES TOO FAST.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss