Windows Phone 8.2 or WP9?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
This might sound a dull question, but what will be the next version of our beloved OS? Windows will be 9 (Threshold) and the rumours say that it will integrate Windows Phone into it, which means a major revamp.

Next thing to have in mind is the need to pimp up the system. Since it's nearly logical that there will be no Flagship device on this holiday, looking through a marketing point of view, shouldn't Microsoft focus on rebirth Windows Phone with MAJOR changes, not just Must Have adds? As some people said, Windows Phone 8 could be considered a Beta and 8.1 a solid stable version.

Guys at the forum are already discussing the possibility of Microsoft stop releasing high end devides, so if that happens, shouldn't Microsoft focus on the System, since Windows Phone is notorious for running smoothly on low to mid end devices?

So... WP 8.2 or WP 9?

Does it make a difference for you guys?

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Rod - it's all semantics - the numbers mean absolutely NOTHING, it's what's under the hood ...

I don't see Windows Phone surviving this holiday season without a flagship, something is in the works, I believe McLaren (3D touch) has been canceled, but there's something - it's been too quiet.

Look for a surprise announcement ~ 10/1/2014 (just an educated guess), unless MS will bid (earlier) to steal Apple's (& Samsung's) thunder.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I stand corrected & that device would make me switch from Nokia (now MS).
Well spec'd device, negative might be the camera.
... perhaps, something from Microsoft, with PureView ?

One (M8) for Windows is by far the best-spec'd Windows Phone until the rumored ZTE phone release (if it's even true)

I'm guessing that MS Mobile delayed the release of a flagship device until next year to let the 1(M8)4W sell...
Heck, looking at comments above me, I'm pretty sure that the 1(M8)4W would've died if they have to compete with a Nokia flagship

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
One (M8) for Windows is by far the best-spec'd Windows Phone until the rumored ZTE phone release (if it's even true)

I'm guessing that MS Mobile delayed the release of a flagship device until next year to let the 1(M8)4W sell...
Heck, looking at comments above me, I'm pretty sure that the 1(M8)4W would've died if they have to compete with a Nokia flagship
It has 801 instead of 800 and the camera is worse... Not a huge difference now is it?

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
It has 801 instead of 800 and the camera is worse... Not a huge difference now is it?

Alright, let me rephrase that:
One (M8) for Windows is by far the best spec'd Windows Phone, sans the camera, until the rumored ZTE phone release (if it's even true)

For some people, a phone with the Snapdragon 800 is ancient enough...

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
What Nokia is for camera technology, HTC is for sound technology. If you're an audiophile, or generally really think sound output via speakers and headphones is important, the HTC is absolutely brilliant and unmatched. Other than that, the HTC One (M8) is said to have a superb build quality and performance, and according to reports HTC have improved their support in the recent year(s).

So the choice really comes down to whether your focus is on sound or imaging. Both Nokia and HTC are innovative and offer great all-around quality.

As for the talks on this forum about Microsoft not making any more flagships, that's unfounded. Jo Harlow (the executive vice president for the smartphone division at Nokia, now Microsoft) said they would "shift our flagship engineering efforts towards new flagship products timed with the next release of Windows and Windows Phone". In other words, we'll likely see some flagship products released with Threshold during Q1-Q2 2015. Stephen Elops already confirmed Microsoft had no intention of releasing smartphones just for the sake of releasing smartphones, so I'd expect their 2015 flagship to be something special.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Well, HTC has a good track record in updates when it comes to its 'One' flagship phones and I'm expecting that trend to continue with Htc One for windows.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Why? The 801 is the only thing better in a phone right now and it boasts absolutely nothing extra in real world. Unless you expect an 805?

Ive seen people mention there was a noticeable difference in performance between an HTC One M8 for windows (SD801) and the Lumia Icon/930 (SD800). Im pretty sure that's the placebo effect going on.....for the most part.....
I could see it affect the camera the most since every piece was speed bumped (CPUwont make a difference, GPU MIGHT depends on if the app/game isnt running smooth to begin with, camera image processor would definitely help with the not-particularly-fast Lumia camera capture)

But then again those same people would say the SD800 is last years old tech while the SD801 is this years new tech......
When in reality its the same tech......

looknow12

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
They need the ability to release a phone that can receive updates controlled by Microsoft. A Microsoft phone might carry the weight to do that, of course every other manufacturer would ditch.

Solidgamez

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
If they want to keep things in one line it will be 9, also because MS is dropping phone from windows. It would be confusing to have windows 8.2 for the phones and windows 9 for pc and tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss