Has Microsoft forgotten about resuming Cyan update for those on Developer Preview?

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello there everyone!

I feel like this issue isn't being given enough attention.

Microsoft halted the Lumia Cyan update for those on the Developer Preview because a small fraction of the users who used Bitlocker Encryption on their devices were facing problems. However, since then there has been no solution to this problem.

We were simply asked to downgrade our devices using the Nokia Software Recovery tool. However, this is not an option for everyone.
This process requires us to connect our devices to our PCs and download a 4GB update, and then risk flashing our phones.
While this may not be a problem for everyone, it is indeed for many.

Many people can not connect their phones to their computers since the WP8.1 Developer Preview Update. Many don't have an internet connection that would allow them an uninterrupted 4gb download. Also, many simply don't have the time.

I myself have a 1020 which can not connect to the PC since the DP update. I have posted threads in hope of resolving this issue, but after many unsuccessful trials I came to the conclusion that this must be a driver issue for certain devices, and can only be fixed by proper drivers brought by the Cyan update. My 1020 suffers from terrible battery life since DP, and I can not connect it to the PC to downgrade. Please refer to this thread for this issue: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ers/299604-no-way-downgrade-wp8-1-dp-wp8.html

Don't you guys think that Microsoft must at least give us a status report or an estimated date on this issue?
I fear that the battery on my phone might get physically damaged if this drain due to WP8.1 DP continues for a long time. The Cyan update is available for my device in my country, but sadly I can't download it because I am on Developer Preview. We were the beta testers of the update, and now it is we who are being screwed over :unhappy:

EDIT: Some clarification- I am not asking Microsoft to release an unfinished or buggy Cyan update immediately. All I am asking for is a confirmation, and reply to this situation telling us that "Yes, we are still working on a fix and will roll out the update in about __ weeks," or "A fix is indeed in the works but we can't provide an estimated release date." At least this will help us know that MS hasn't forgotten about this issue and really is working on a fix.

Last edited:

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
You accept these sorts of risks and situations by using Preview/beta software - it's part and parcel of it, especially if you use it on your primary device. If this isn't to your (or anybody's) liking, then it would be best to stick to commercial grade software in future.

Faridg22

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi every one

100% agree it is a very disrespectful step by microsoft,
they used our devices and drop us alone, we need a solution or a schedule when we get cyan

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Yep, last thing they said was a fix was on the way. That's all he's saying.
I'm wondering if they're leaving till enough have downgraded to then say it's not worth issuing a fix.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I agree with both of you here on this one. David is 100% right on stating thats the risk you take but at the same time sameermehta2 and krox1105 are also 100% right as this isn't getting attention. You would think that all that needs to be done is uninstall bitlocker then push out the cyan. Personally I am on official 8.1 with cyan an I did have PD and lost 7 Xbox games I can not get back and have to buy it (part of a promo deal but wont let me download app again for free) gutted? Yes I was...but that was part of the PD risk I took and accept it

sameermehta2

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I think they have taken a reverse step to disable the cyan update for normal users this should have been based on the number of users using encryption and number of users not using it then deciding for the cyan update to roll out.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The risks of installing a beta software were of course kept in mind while creating this post.
However, not getting the final software version was not a risk of the beta program.

Besides, the simplest fix for this issue would have been to hold the Cyan update for the ones using the Bitlocker encryption. Not the entire developer preview audience.

EDIT: This post is giving the wrong impression that I am asking Microsoft to identify the devices using Bitlocker encryption and stop the update for just them. No. I know that the issue must have run far deeper and that is the reason why they have paused the update for every device on developer preview. All I am asking for is an estimated release date or the reason for this delay.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
From experience cyan is pretty useful as I noticed my battery has really been given extra juice so to speak. It seems to last 20% longer then usual. Really hope you guys get it soon. At the first opportunity try to downgrade to 8.0 even if that means taking your laptop to a cafe or Starbuck for the free wifi then upgrade

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Tweeted Joe Belfiore last week asking about if/when the fix would be implemented. No response. Talk about professional courtesy.

I have tweeted him about this multiple times as well, but no response.

If any WPCentral author is reading this thread, please do make a post about this issue on the website. It would really help.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
From experience cyan is pretty useful as I noticed my battery has really been given extra juice so to speak. It seems to last 20% longer then usual. Really hope you guys get it soon.

Yes, exactly. Cyan is meant to be a device specific update to install new drivers compatible with the latest operating system.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
We weren't beta testers.
Battery drainage will not physically damage your battery. Don't worry dude just have patience.
The whole point of releasing the developer preview to anyone who wanted to sign up was so that they could have beta testers.
Releasing it to a controlled audience first was essential, as Windows Phone 8.1 is a pretty big update.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
The whole point of releasing the developer preview to anyone who wanted to sign up was so that they could have beta testers.
Releasing it to a controlled audience first was essential, as Windows Phone 8.1 is a pretty big update.

C'mon man within a couple weeks we got patched to the definitive version of 8.1, it was hardly a beta in the first place. The dev preview program is just MS's way to grant everyone access to updates so we don't have to depend on carrier nonsense etc...

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
It would be ideal tho if Microsoft just released it on their site to download like Nokia has with the Nokia recovery tool. That way it will be global to use where and when the customers want it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa