Has Microsoft forgotten about resuming Cyan update for those on Developer Preview?

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi every one

100% agree it is a very disrespectful step by microsoft,
they used our devices and drop us alone, we need a solution or a schedule when we get cyan
How did they use your device? For that matter, how is it disrespectful to warn you it is preview software to use at your own risk and then have it prove to be preview software you used at your own risk?

sameermehta2

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
@Stephen for expediting the efforts and to do analysis before stopping or starting to rollout updates,they need wider audience,preview is for progress not for basic analysis,the bitlocker problem should have been handled more thoughtfully.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
C'mon man within a couple weeks we got patched to the definitive version of 8.1, it was hardly a beta in the first place. The dev preview program is just MS's way to grant everyone access to updates so we don't have to depend on carrier nonsense etc...

Yes, you're right. I actually do realize this. I do know that Developer preview has a lot of advantages as well. It is independent of carriers, allows us to try new features before they are released to the public, etc. But you also can not deny that beta testing was one of the reasons why this program was launched.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It would be ideal tho if Microsoft just released it on their site to download like Nokia has with the Nokia recovery tool. That way it will be global to use where and when the customers want it
Actually, the ideal thing would be to halt the update for just those devices that use Bitlocker, but I guess that the issue runs deeper than that.

Anyway, right now they should either resume the update, or at least give us a reason for the delay/ a timeframe.

sameermehta2

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
@krox this is an incident which should have been looked into with proper methodology
As soon as they received the issue they should have stopped all rollouts
Identify the potential number of users going to be hit for bitlocker issue and issue a directive just as they have done now reducing the impact and restore the rollouts for all.
Give a TAT to users and provide updates on it,now all we know they are working ,what is the progress nobody knows.

anon(4054009)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I think they have taken a reverse step to disable the cyan update for normal users this should have been based on the number of users using encryption and number of users not using it then deciding for the cyan update to roll out.

The risks of installing a beta software were of course kept in mind while creating this post.
However, not getting the final software version was not a risk of the beta program.

Besides, the simplest fix for this issue would have been to hold the Cyan update for the ones using the Bitlocker encryption. Not the entire developer preview audience.
I have no idea how Microsoft would know precisely every device using bitlocker. That would require pretty intrusive knowledge about your device. Maybe they do, but the privacy outcry might not be welcomed. Maybe they decided to wait until the official update to fix it. I'm sorry for your "loss":smile:

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
@krox this is an incident which should have been looked into with proper methodology
As soon as they received the issue they should have stopped all rollouts
Identify the potential number of users going to be hit for bitlocker issue and issue a directive just as they have done now reducing the impact
Give a TAT to users and provide updates on it,now all we know they are working ,what is the progress nobody knows.
There must be a reason why they have proceeded in this manner. Microsoft is a huge company, and it doesn't take such decisions just to see it's customers suffer. No.

As I said in my previous post, the Bitlocker issue must have run deeper than that.
I am not demanding Microsoft to immediately resume the update with the Bitlocker issue unresolved. All I am asking for is some attention towards this issue, and a possible ETA or the reason for this delay.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea how Microsoft would know precisely every device using bitlocker. That would require pretty intrusive knowledge about your device. Maybe they do, but the privacy outcry might not be welcomed. Maybe they decided to wait until the official update to fix it. I'm sorry for your "loss":smile:

Please read my quoted post again. I have clarified a few things.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

They know enough to have ruined the photos hub based on some bogus telemetries.

Honestly, at this point I think it's just incompetence. Sure, we are Beta testers. But there's a difference between accepting hick-ups, bugs etc and between being prevented from updating a devices based on a problem with something a ton of us don't even have turned on in our phones.

I am not flashing my phone back to WP8 to update. Deutsche Telekom has released Cyan for both the 1020 and 920 and none of my phones was updated because of Microsoft and I'm certainly not losing everything on it (no, data from apps is not saved unless the developer updated the app to allow it to back up...and the majority of developers hasn't updated their apps) just to get Cyan.

Also, unless you have a 1520 or a 929, Cyan doesn't bring you anything worth the trouble you have to go through to get it. That Microsoft hasn't solved the issue and released GDR1 already...that's what annoys me and concerns me.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Also as one of the few posters mentioned there could be other deeper issues than the bitlocker issue, which is evident by the number users who also experienced issues when updating to GDR1 from 8.1. So I imagine they are trying to address these issues as well, the last thing they need is another scenario where GDR1 is failing to install when it is released to the public.

People always remember the negatives and not the positives, no matter how many successful updates have been done in the past.. people will invariably use the botched updates as a yard stick.

Lastly it may turn out that we get the Debian Red firmware update along with Cyan, who knows..

sameermehta2

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
@sectime wr had some count of total number of devices updated to PFD say for example 1mil out out of that how many you think would be on encryption and why were they told or done the upgrade by themselves this can be taken into very deep analysis.if I approximately take 20-30 k users what should be priorities should it be those who are non encryption users or those who are on encrytion,my point is why there is no update of any information plus the company also releases GDR 1 on top that,they should have halted modified and rectified the issue with GDR for PFD users in the case as it stands now.

lowrider2107

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the thread opener. You all might be right to discuss whether participating in the developer preview is to be considered beta testing or not, implying that situations as these are to be expected and accepted (or not...).
But clearly, Microsoft is doing a bad job in terms of communicating. That is very disappointing and they should pay better attention keeping the interested consumers in the loop...

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I feel like this has gotten more than enough attention. I'm still waiting for the update for my 920.

The fact that you are still waiting proves that this HAS NOT gotten enough attention. We need to bring this up to light so that Microsoft may at least notice this issue.

jomargon

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I hope they will at least give us an estimated date on when the Cyan update to resume. If they have no plans right now, then why not just say it instead of staying mum on the issue?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6