Has Microsoft forgotten about resuming Cyan update for those on Developer Preview?

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
I also agree with the thread opener. This is not whining that the DP has issues and it is not about me thinking that I have the right to get everything NOW.

This is about communication between Microsoft and their most involved users. The people who installed the DP are Microsoft evangelists and pleasing them is in Microsoft's own interest. Nothing is better pr than pleased geeks.

Microsoft is gambling with our trust for no reason, all we want is transparency.

And no, I will not downgrade to update my 920. Leo Laporte managed to brick his device trying to downgrade it. And I have no interest in loosing a ton of data hidden in some apps.

rowlie

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
When we signed up we were all aware of the risks of running DP, inevitably there will be problems which will be rectified in time and we except that. Unfortunately Microsoft in its wisdom opened up this program to every man and his dog and now has to face the consequences of that decision. The majority are here so they can have the latest OS, denying them cyan without explanation or time frame only inflames the situation.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Leo lapport is sort of an id10t when it comes to anything windows based...Apple he's good
Not surprised he bricked it.... Cyan is not needed people until they fix the update for DP...be happy.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
When we signed up we were all aware of the risks of running DP, inevitably there will be problems which will be rectified in time and we except that. Unfortunately Microsoft in its wisdom opened up this program to every man and his dog and now has to face the consequences of that decision. The majority are here so they can have the latest OS, denying them cyan without explanation or time frame only inflames the situation.

Only.... Microsoft are the ones ENCOURAGING people to install the dev preview. And this problem is not a problem that stems from the software being labeled a preview, its because the update process has a problem with devices with encrypted storage. So let's not overplay this "you signed up to be a beta tester" theme, if people were complaining about instability/bugs that would be a valid response but it doesn't apply here.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site

If you go t look at the terms and conditions at App Studio we all agreed to they are no longer there.
I think the original said we could directly install new firmware when it was released.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Backup, flash, install dev preview, done. Now you have cyan with dev preview.
Thank you Sir. I can't believe that I, or the other people who have posted on this thread didn't think of this. You are a genius.

PS. Just in case it wasn't clear, this was sarcasm. Go read the original post first.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Thank you Sir. I can't believe that I, or the other people who have posted on this thread didn't think of this. You are a genius.

PS. Just in case it wasn't clear, this was sarcasm. Go read the original post first.

Its just laziness mate. Don't forget that with cyan most of you guys get NOTHING. Only 630, 930 and 1520 owners benefit I believe. There are little or no changes to other models.

garama

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Guys everyone is right here and as much as we signed up DP, we would appreciate updates on how and how long we have to wait for a fix and if indeed there will be one. If there is no fix, then let approve or confirm that downgrading is the only option that way we know.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Its just laziness mate. Don't forget that with cyan most of you guys get NOTHING. Only 630, 930 and 1520 owners benefit I believe. There are little or no changes to other models.
There were over a million installs of 8.1 DP. The original terms said you could update directly to Cyan and the release version of 8.1. MS has to do their job.

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Guys, I don't understand this: Why don't you just reinstall new lumia cyan on your phone with nokia software recovery tool, and then re-enable DP if you want?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Guys, I don't understand this: Why don't you just reinstall new lumia cyan on your phone with nokia software recovery tool, and then re-enable DP if you want?

Any particular reason we should be in a rush to lose data, spend hours restoring apps and media for basically 1 feature, BT 4.0?

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
And risk bricking it just to get told "that was your risk, you knew what you signed up for" by the forum?

No. I would much more prefer that Microsoft keeps their promise. And while we wait they also could try some transparency how long it will take.

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Any particular reason we should be in a rush to lose data, spend hours restoring apps and media for basically 1 feature, BT 4.0?

I have done this on three different phones and lost none of the data except viber messages. Didn't spend hours, it took much less.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I have done this on three different phones and lost none of the data except viber messages. Didn't spend hours, it took much less.

Time will vary, depending on how much media you have to restore and apps you have to reinstall and configure but as you confirm, data loss is inevitable. That is unacceptable to me when you take into account what cyan actually brings to a device like my 1020 ie basically nothing.

You and others seem to be missing the point. There is nothing wrong with the DP or the update under normal circumstances, its when Bitlocker is part of the equation that issues arise, as clearly evidenced by those who were able to update before it was pulled. And this issue affects only a minority of WP dev preview users. For the majority of users who dont have bitlocker if the update was released we would update with no problems so while its understandable that Microsoft wants to fix the problem the reality is that most people arent even affected so this ridiculous stance that we should waste time and lose data makes absolutely no sense.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05