Has Microsoft forgotten about resuming Cyan update for those on Developer Preview?

Sorin Balan

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a GB country variant 920 running 8.1 dp and can't update to cyan nor update 1. Since the phone works just fine I can't complain too much and won't take the path to downgrading just for the firmwire.

Sent from my GTB 701 using Tapatalk

kikkkasss

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
From Microsift comunity

Mike Mongeau replied

Microsoft Forum Moderator

"You only need to use the Nokia Software Recovery tool if you find yourself in the Bitlocker recovery screen. These incidents should be isolated and are well understood by Microsoft. Everyone else will not need to do anything, as we will continue to release Cyan updates for Developer Preview Program users as time goes on. So, just hold tight!"

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Wrong. I got Cyan on DP 8.1.1 on Saturday. It was a new build, marked as being created on 18/08/2014. I think they are creating new Cyan firmwares for DP devices *shrug

No new firmware for the 920 on AT&T to allow Cyan to install. They released the update today. No joy for 920 users running the DP.

Last edited:

SSK the Gr8

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
This is so irritating. If DP was going to be such a f*** up then they should have warned us. Absolutely no communication. What's the point of having an unbranded , unlocked phone on DP when the people on official releases are getting firmware updates before you!!!

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
This is so irritating. If DP was going to be such a f*** up then they should have warned us. Absolutely no communication. What's the point of having an unbranded , unlocked phone on DP when the people on official releases are getting firmware updates before you!!!

Did you read the "terms and conditions" of the Preview before joining?

SSK the Gr8

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
yes I did. The point that irritates me is that they are vague. If msoft says that DP users wont get cyan please flash your phone. Cool. No issues at all. But if you release the firmware for AT&T DP users and then don't release it for everybody else. Just tell them that it will be here soon then it is unfair. Give timelines. That is what I want. Don't be vague.

Skynetz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
People don't understand. There wouldn't be a problem at all if we all had to reset our phones, the problem is that many of us are waiting for an update and we don't even know if we will get it and when, because no one is telling us.

FFugue

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Just to repeat what Ebuka Allison said, it seems like the Cyan update for DP might not be identical to the standard Cyan update, which would mean your carrier is responsible for approving it and releasing it, which isn't Microsoft's fault. But yeah it'd still be nice if Microsoft could release an official statement saying that so everyone is aware of the issue. Maybe they could add a feature to the next Developer Previews where they could push a message to our phones when there is something important we need to know about DP. But anyway, for now if Ebuka Allison is right, we just need to be patient and wait for the carriers to approve it. I can't wait for it to finally arrive. The battery on my 1020 is sooo bad since Update 1, and apparently Cyan fixes that.

Wrong. I got Cyan on DP 8.1.1 on Saturday. It was a new build, marked as being created on 18/08/2014. I think they are creating new Cyan firmwares for DP devices *shrug

cheba

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
People don't understand. There wouldn't be a problem at all if we all had to reset our phones, the problem is that many of us are waiting for an update and we don't even know if we will get it and when, because no one is telling us.

This. What makes the situation worse is that we know that the fix does exist already, as it has been released to a handful devices on specific carriers. This happened almost 2 weeks ago, but since then MS have been silent about it. One would think that they would have continued the rollout already, since Cyan rollout has been completed for most non-DP phones by now. Also the DP phones are just a minority of all phones, so they could probably let the rollout progress at a normal or even higher pace. I really think MS should explain why they are still holding back the existing fix from the rest of us, and maybe give us a timeframe.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Thats not the point (and neither technically is the fact that its called a "preview"), the point is the update had been halted, resumed for a few devices then halted again with NO info given to users. Being a preview doesnt mean that MS should act like they're guarding the secret to eternal life or some other top secret, classified information. In fact thats the perfect cover for actually coming out and saying there's a bug and we're working on it but all that comes from them is crickets. Thats the frustration and annoyance with this whole bloody, useless cyan update that brings practically nothing to older devices and an equally worthless backup system that doesnt actually backup all your data.

cheba

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Just to repeat what Ebuka Allison said, it seems like the Cyan update for DP might not be identical to the standard Cyan update, which would mean your carrier is responsible for approving it and releasing it, which isn't Microsoft's fault. But yeah it'd still be nice if Microsoft could release an official statement saying that so everyone is aware of the issue. Maybe they could add a feature to the next Developer Previews where they could push a message to our phones when there is something important we need to know about DP. But anyway, for now if Ebuka Allison is right, we just need to be patient and wait for the carriers to approve it. I can't wait for it to finally arrive. The battery on my 1020 is sooo bad since Update 1, and apparently Cyan fixes that.

I am no programmer and I don't know technically how the update progress works. But I was thinking, could there maybe be just a tiny difference, like a single line of code in the beginning of the updater that determines if the update is eligible for a DP phone, or if it will be ignored when checking for updates on a DP phone? Even though the difference is very minor, the code would not be 100.0% identical to the normal Cyan update, and so would have a different build number from a different date, and would require its own carrier testing. Other than this, the firmware would be completely identical to normal Cyan, just a difference in the "trigger" of the updater. Just my theory, any takers?

SSK the Gr8

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I am on a country variant. It does not even need Carrier approval. That is why it exasperates me even more. Just release the damn update or communicate clearly with us what is the issue!

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I am on a country variant. It does not even need Carrier approval. That is why it exasperates me even more. Just release the damn update or communicate clearly with us what is the issue!
This is the problem. The update was released to most all CV phones in the beginning. They wait for a fix along with all carrier released updates. AT&T update for the 1520 and 1020 is the only one I know of from a carrier that will update a developers preview phones

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft forgot to release Lumia Cyan for the developer preview users?

How long do we have to wait for the Lumia Cyan to be officially released for the dp users?! It's getting frustrating! Using the Nokia software recovery tool is such a hassle. 8.1dp>8>8.1, omg who has the time!

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Microsoft forgot to release Lumia Cyan for the developer preview users?

How long do we have to wait for the Lumia Cyan to be officially released for the dp users?! It's getting frustrating! Using the Nokia software recovery tool is such a hassle. 8.1dp>8>8.1, omg who has the time!

So far its only been released for the 1520 and 1020 on AT&T and a carrier in Germany.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett