YouTube website now needs an app to play videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It just recently happened, that when I try to play a video via youtube.com in IE, the website asks me to download an app, and won't play the video, because there is no app found in the Store. (HTC 8X)

Is Google now completely out of their minds or am I missing something?

Llordy

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
It probably has to do with the new user agent strings added in IE 11 update 1. It might think that your on andoid and recommend that tou use the app. But that is only applicable if you are running the new preview for developers.

But even if that happened it shouldn't force you to use the app. Should it?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Last edited:

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Good thinking about the user agent string. (I'm on 8.1 DP.) But yes: The site shouldn't force me to using an app. Will test it with the L930, which I hopefully will pick up within the next days ...

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Good thinking about the user agent string. (I'm on 8.1 DP.) But yes: The site shouldn't force me to using an app. Will test it with the L930, which I hopefully will pick up within the next days ...

I just tested it with DP; no problems here. Lumia 1520, 8.1 Update 1 DP. It didn't even say anything about an app and just played the YouTube video. I have been to a few other sites though that mistaken my phone for either an iPhone or Android and try to point me to install one of those apps.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far. Here's an example link, if anyone mind to testing ... http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=1b6Fk71n1nA
That video plays for me on my 920 running 8.1 Preview GDR1.

ha3yhyhu.png

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
8y8egape.png

This is what's happening, but ... I found the mistake: A few days ago I switched to "show desktop sites", and after switching back to mobile it's working as expected. Sorry for the drama =] Case closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro