Metro Internet Explorer is very nice

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
The Metro version of IE in Win 8.1 is obviously a much better version than the desktop version:

1. Web page loading is clearly faster.
2. Scrolling & zooming is much faster and smoother
3. Text & graphics rendering is very nice (as nice as iPad Safari)
4. Browsing is more comfortable because it makes use of the whole screen without unnecessary menus & icons.

But I found it is sometimes unstable - webpage cannot be loaded, I need to manually refresh the page, especially when a link triggered a pop-up page.

Any comments?

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
On my sp1 I had chrome installed because on previous versions of IE, some sites didn't work. Since 8.1 came out, most sites now work, on my sp3 I only use IE

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

SteveSAPA

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Can you get the metro version of IE on SP22? I've tried searching for it in the app store but I can't find it. I know I can use the desktop version but I want to try the metro one.

SantiagoDesign

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Are you able to go to any website with no crashing and reloading the page? I created a thread about my issues with my IE11 in Windows 8.1
Basically there are some sites showing up for a second or two and then "recovered". This repeats until IE11 gives up and displays a "failed to recover" message. I tried all the usual fixes and even reinstalled Windows 3 times now.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps I am luckier that I am happy with IE on almost all websites I visit everyday.
In fact, I am one of those people who have given up IE for many years. I switched to Firefox and recently Chrome. But recently when I used Chrome on my Surface Pro 3 I found two problems: 1. sometimes it the page doesn't scroll in response to swiping; 2. sometimes it takes exceptionally long time to load a webpage (stuck at "Waiting for reply from xxxxxxx"). And then I used IE again and to my surprise, the latest version of IE (both desktop and Metro version) is exceptionally stable and smooth.

I would recommend people to have a try on the latest IE (desktop/Metro version). As long as the browser behaves nice for your favourite websites, it is the best browser for you. I believe Microsoft has improved the IE quite a lot, especially fine-tuning for touch screen operation (scrolling and resizing I mean).

zorc

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
The only think I do not like about metro IE is that it does no cache the last websites. It only displays that dim screenshot of the page, and then tries to download the complete page again. On a fast connection this works fine, but if you use this on a tablet with a medium stable 3G connection you will find youself waiting for way too long. I do not know why they do not use any cache at all in the metro version. At least the last few pages should be cached, so you can go back and forward quickly...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium