My family settings are restricting 13-17 year olds from downloading apps

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I would prefer a notification of some sort: "Junior wants to purchase X for $1.99. Allow or Disallow?" In this day and age, there is no reason that a parent should have to be in the same place, touching the phone (I'm not sure if that's how it works or not - I'm assuming), in order to approve a purchase. A notification would be easy enough, and with the accounts tied to the phones, it should be seamless - no setup on the phone required, just the parent-child relationship set up on outlook.com (or wherever it is set up).
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4213 ios has the restrictions feature which is great since its an OPTION that restricts buying apps, IAPs and even apps themselves. Wouldn't you prefer this instead? A better option that leads to less complaints between the child and the parent. It's funny how only windows phone has this issue.

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
what the heck does paying bills have anything to do with not using your birth year?!

Good to hear.
Did you happen to meet any "girls" wanting to meet in the park in that time?

No, I didn't talk to other people on the internet when I was young. It was mostly just flash games ^.^.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
No, my parents trusted me. I had 0 internet locks and 0 tv locks. But I do understand that you're paying for something you can't use when that setting is on there, I would also find it annoying.

Umm, the underage user isn't paying for anything. And while it is good that your behavior merited your parents' trust, Microsoft and the carriers have to consider the reality that many millennials are digital natives, while the adults responsible for paying the bills may not know how to restrict purchase amounts, so they turn on restrictions by default.

As a parent, I actually have two controls -- the Microsoft family settings and ATT's own settings where I can restrict purchases by others on our shared plan.

BTW, I do trust my daughter and she does have unrestricted access. But a couple of weeks ago, she bought a game that cost $9.99 plus some DLC totaling about $10. It adds up quickly. With my own WP store purchases this month, we are looking at a higher bill than originally expected. The subsequent discussion was about asking beforehand if we could afford the purchases right now, not whether or not she could buy stuff.

In a way, I'm glad I don't get a text message asking for approval for my daughter's purchases. We have face-to-face communication in which we talk about her spending priorities and household expenses. It's good training for the real world.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
In a way, I'm glad I don't get a text message asking for approval for my daughter's purchases. We have face-to-face communication in which we talk about her spending priorities and household expenses. It's good training for the real world.
My text message suggestion was made to address the scenario given of a 17 year old at college. Obviously there needs to be a way to customize the parental controls to fit the situation.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
My text message suggestion was made to address the scenario given of a 17 year old at college. Obviously there needs to be a way to customize the parental controls to fit the situation.

That's kinda the point I was trying to make with the approval text message. If the kids are at home obviously you can talk face to face as we did with our son. Now we got a 10 year old but were debating on when to get him a phone since our first son was 12-13 when we got his. I'm just tossing out different possible options is all.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes that is exactly what i'm complaining about. The parental controls are on by default, it isn't an option. I understand they should be on for under 13s but for 13+ you should be able to turn on the option first instead of having it by default like android and ios do. That way there wouldn't be complaints in the first place.

Last edited:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Have you ever thought about them just wanting to download any app. They cant even download whatsapp or facebook. Put yourself in their shoes.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If I put myself into their shoes, I cannot enter into a legally binding contract, which means I cannot legally purchase/install/download ANY app. So there are legal reasons. When you reach the age of majority, then you can enter into that contract, and install whatever you want.

It isn't possible to put myself into the shoes of someone who wants to bypass these controls, because having more than a quarter century of experience as an adult, I understand things that you don't understand now, and I can see things that you can't see. When you have children your age, if you are a responsible parent, you will understand.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Of course we should let those college kids to anything they want. After all, they can do drugs and under-age drinkings easily without parent supervision, Why don't let them download a few apps :)

If it were me, they should not be allowed to download apps until 21. No one understands parenting until they are parents themselves. Teenagers of any age can't be trusted to do the right thing, ever.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Of course we should let those college kids to anything they want. After all, they can do drugs and under-age drinkings easily without parent supervision, Why don't let them download a few apps :)

If it were me, they should not be allowed to download apps until 21. No one understands parenting until they are parents themselves. Teenagers of any age can't be trusted to do the right thing, ever.

I have to disagree with you, foxbat121, and I think it's unfair to stereotype teens. It sounds like your personal experience has not been a good one, but my own has been very different. Maybe because my daughter has been homeschooled since 4th grade and not subjected to the peer pressures of most teens, but I know there are many more who are responsible and they conduct themselves according to what they've observed and learned from their role models.

Moreover, I think it's important to give teens opportunities to demonstrate their growing maturity and ability to make good decisions. If we don't, then when they do turn 21, they will have zero life lessons to use when exercising new-found freedoms.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I have to disagree with you, foxbat121, and I think it's unfair to stereotype teens. It sounds like your personal experience has not been a good one, but my own has been very different. Maybe because my daughter has been homeschooled since 4th grade and not subjected to the peer pressures of most teens, but I know there are many more who are responsible and they conduct themselves according to what they've observed and learned from their role models.

Moreover, I think it's important to give teens opportunities to demonstrate their growing maturity and ability to make good decisions. If we don't, then when they do turn 21, they will have zero life lessons to use when exercising new-found freedoms.
I just feel sorry for all teens that can't download whatsapp. Its not even that they would want to even pay, the problem is that they can't download anything at all until they set up my family, its so inconvenient if someone was previously on ios or android that didn't have to deal with it before, that's why I suggest they change my family into an option in the settings. There is already pin protection against IAPs and purchases in the built in wallet app.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
My oldest son will be 20 in Sept and still lives with us. I'm not his biological dad but been in his life since he was 7. Having had to break bad habits, long back story to this, I feel I've taught him the rights and wrongs and consequences. I've always give him an option and if its a poor choosing then he'll learn. Back on topic we only keep track of the data and our bills are pretty constant and we set rules on what we can get. I go for the free stuff cause I'm cheap but if its something I can use like running apps or good tools I'll pay up to $1.99. He's a twitter guy so if its free its good but he hasn't drivin up the bill due to DL a bunch of apps. It's was actually texting so good thing for the unlimited talk and text deal. I mean if you don't have a job to get put on your own line then abide by the rules of someone footing your bill.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
OMG I'm not talking about the paid and in app purchases. They can already be prevented with the wallet pin features in WP. Apple and Google fixed this problem already. All I am saying is that the restrictions should be off by default. OFF BY DEFAULT. YOU GUYS HAVE NOT READ WHAT I HAVE BEEN POSTING OF THE WAY iOS HANDLES IT AT ALL!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234