Windows Phone - State of MS apps

jbfoster61

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Well, I guess if you are that unhappy with Windows Phone you can switch to Android or IOS.

I would rather have a Windows Phone with all it's short comings than have Android or IOS.

Jim

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
six months ago WP didn't have a notification centre, independent volume controls, VPN, IE didn't remember passwords, reading mode, push notifications were constantly up to 30 minutes delayed, start screen backgrounds, toggles in action centre, live tiles could only update every 30 minutes, folders, file manager,

Feel free to criticize, but do it with some perspective. Remember where WP has come from and all the things that we now take for granted that didn't exist only a short time ago.

anon(8985111)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
As for the Apps overlooked by MS, what I really don't understand is why they wouldn't even implement the transparent tile feature. Given the pace the Skype team has been going over the last couple of years, I wouldn't vouch for a transparent tile by the end of next year.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Tbh, WTH is wrong with these highlighted apps not written natively for WP 8.1? I mean I seriously don't understand. Except if they aren't working properly. Yes I know about Music, Video, Skype, Lock screen Beta, Calendar etc. I know that these are the most basic apps and shouldn't be expected as screwups from a software giant such as Microsoft.
But I think the reason for MS not updating their apps is that windows OS is still maturing. I'm sure you know about the merge of WP and RT. WinRT set of APIs are still maturing and it would be unwise to write or rewrite apps when the OS is continually evolving. Lets see what MS brings with One Windows approach and how long after does it take for them to update their core apps.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
If I'd had a money, I would...

Well I recommend you get an android. Seriously. An iPhone? You must be joking. I was at a cafe earlier today and (I see **** like this all the time) almost everyone in the cafe (even those sitting at tables next to friends) is on their iPhone. I don't even say smartphone because more often than not when I see someone whip their phone out, it's an iPhone. The term 'sheep' exists for a reason.

And that list of apps you made? Well I see no reason why they 'must' be re-written for 8.1. Not unless they require to take specific advantage of features 8.1 provides. Take calculator for instance. It's a calculator. Does it matter if it's native to 8.0? It's a basic thing that does a basic job; rewriting it 'for the sake of it being as up to date as possible' achieves nothing in this regard. And this same principle applies to many of the apps you listed.

I think too many people are concerned about something being up-to-date and less concerned whether or not it actually NEEDS the update. Whilst some apps like Xbox Music are an example (still waiting on gapless playback) I can safely say the app performs just fine and I've never had it crash, duplicate tracks, freeze or lag. (not for months, back when it was in a far, far worse state!)

MS is starting to slowly kill WP.
They dont care anymore about their own OS and Apps, thats just a fact...live with it.

If there's one thing I cannot stand, it's needless 'doom and gloom'. I see no evidence that MS is trying to kill the platform. That's just not how business works.

I've used a lot of the MS apps; in fact I prefer to use MS apps over third party ones in many cases as they load faster and generally feel more fluid to use. I especially find the bing repertoire of apps to be very fresh and efficient. We have a few 'bad egg' apps out there, but generally? Things are generally very positive.

I mean, if you hate the platform so damn much, why are you still around?

Putting out half-assed hardware? Are you mad? The 930 and 1520 are not 'half-assed'. They're not cutting-edge, but there's a MASSIVE difference between cutting edge and half-assed. We already established they're currently focusing on the budget market, and I was well impressed when I saw the price they'd gotten the 530 down to. At 40 quid, that phone is going to interest a LOT of people.

I think you've somehow gotten the idea that they have abandoned the platform simply because you're not getting what YOU want.

stevemind

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Your opinion is noted., and everyone has one! I think Wp has a lot of potential, I think every os is not perfect.....It cant be, its impossible! I use wp because it looks amazing, and its unique. But that's me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon