Why I came running back to Windows Phone from Android

Kubiubo

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Alternate title: There and Back Again: My Adventure to the world of Android, and why I came back to Windows Phone

Sometimes you get adventurous -- sometimes that adventure is a dangerous one. About a week ago I was biking home from work when my phone fell out of my bag and onto the hard, cold concrete. Shattered, my Lumia 1020's screen was decimated. I gulped and stared at it for a second before I got back to riding.

Searching around, I decided that I wanted to try Android. It was the final frontier for me, the last of the 'big three' that I hadn't tried out. I picked up a Moto G for a nice $50 pricetag, a steal.

So... why did I give up so early?

The Moto G is a nice device, and Android is also a nice platform. The problem for me was the fundamental layout of Android. To most people it would sound ridiculous to say my life revolves around my phone. It absolutely does not, but my phone accents the workflow of my life.

From Microsoft Cortana to 'Glance and Go', Windows Phone fits the often fast paced and on-the-go lifestyle I have. Being able to look at my Start screen and see information displayed on live tiles is invaluable to me. Information at a glance.

You could make the argument that Android does this with widgets or a Launcher, but to me, Windows Phone does it better. Windows Phone was designed around glance and go; Metro is content first and personal. I missed Windows Phone.

This isn't just some ****** post, despite being on a Windows Phone website and me having the title 'Microsoft Evangelist', it's a post from someone who was willing to give each of the big three a shot, and Windows Phone simply happens to be my preferred platform. So thank you, Joe Belfiore and your entire team for the work that you've done. We are the 2.4%, the best there was.

Kubiubo

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Welcome back!

Which Windows Phone device did you get?

I went back to my shattered 1020 for now, the screen luckily still works properly. Unfortunately my income isn't as disposable as it once was, so I'm going to buy a Lumia 635 to tide me over until I have an upgrade.

Aashish13

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I was on blackberry during the BBM era. Then when I saw the user interface of windows phone. I really was eager to switch and bought 720 though I wanted 925 but was out of my budget. Now o say I can't live without live tiles and Cortana. Pin the things u need and home screen customization looks neater in windows then Droid. Now even when I see high end Droid phones, but still without live tiles the phone looks dumb. I just love windows phone.

They need to add things back like

1-Fb integration which fb won't do it coz they have messenger which has got poor reviews on all operating systems.

2 old music hub. Coz with the Xbox music store the app hasn't been compatible.

3. Bing pics with Cortana. When u turn on location for Cortana u don't get to see Bing pics with it along with features like Bing vision. For that one has to turn off location

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I did similar. I have an iPad and have used an iPhone, so I know what I'd get there. However, I was curious about Android so bought the Moto G to check it out.

It is great value for a smartphone but I realised Android isn't as suited to me as Windows Phone. As you say, it suits a fast-paced lifestyle, is a fast paced user experience, and the vertical UI of WP contributes to that.

The things I liked in Android like file manager and notifications have also come to WP, so there's not really anything there to entice me.

Krishna Teja Vedula

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
That's true. Most the time all I need to do is glance at my start screen. I see all notifications and news on the live tiles. I need not open the app to see if there's anything new. I only do that when the tiles show me something new. All WP needs is more determined and passionate developers to create more functional and beautiful apps.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster