Windows phone 8.1 GDR2 features leaked!

Vicky Krishnatrai

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft will finally bring some sanity to the extremely long Settings list on Windows Phone.

Apparently the next update, set to arrive over the next 2 months (and therefore likely coming to Developer Preview users sooner) will finally sort settings alphabetically, and will feature the same jump list as the usual start app menu.

Other new features said to be on the way include the addition of a mobile data toggle in the action centre and Cortana coming as Alpha to even more countries.

While making settings alphabetical would help somewhat, I would have liked even more if Settings could all be pinnable to the start screen just like apps, meaning for commonly used settings one would not have to dive into the long settings page at all. What do say guys?
UPDATE- Windows Phone 8.1 GDR2 is going to bring support to 2K resolution on smartphone displays, and therefore providing support to new processors like the Snapdragon 805

Last edited:

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I'd hope they finally support openvpn. For years and still waiting!!!! All the other ui dressing up is a design choice, they really need core features and full vpn protocol support is a must.

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
And the FM Radio UI, it should be the other way round where the tuned/saved stations are shown first where, by opening the application one can easily choose a saved station with a single tap. why do i have to view/see the tuning bar all the time? i must be able to view/see the tuned stations all the time.
we only tune and save stations once, then the next time it would be just a matter of choosing the saved stations.

Aashish13

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Necessary small things they should add

1Files app integration when we want to send files via mails.

2. Curser in the dialler box

3 windows store screen background back as in wp8.

4. Ability to see full notification in the action centre.

5. Fb integration back as on wp8.

Vicky Krishnatrai

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Can't wait, I also hope Lumia debian red ads some nice stuff.

Update 1 aka debian red is not a big update and we already seen all features added by microsft. but, we can expect little more improvment and more device compatibility for living images feature and auto focous improvement.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well these aren't confirmed images and most likely the debian red firmware will bring more improvements to the higher end models. I wonder if they have figured out a way to get glance on the 930 and Icon since both lack display memory.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Well these aren't confirmed images and most likely the debian red firmware will bring more improvements to the higher end models. I wonder if they have figured out a way to get glance on the 930 and Icon since both lack display memory.

I miss glance a lot. :( But sadly I'm not really confident that it will ever be available on my 930.

Other then that, I hope they improve the 930/1520 camera because it's incredibly noisy right now.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I think Settings should be designed over with UI, when we go in Settings now we see settings for System and Application, under System it shows many settings which is not just System,it should show Display,Network ,Connectivity,Audio & Video,Cloud & Sync,Applications you get my drift, and we swipe over to right we'll see the appropriate settings tabs, instead of JUST SYSTEM AND APPLICATIONS, alphabetical may seem better but grouping using correctly named tags will be much better for few, can even give us option whether alphabetical or like what I said
MS should just refine Settings like what they did in Windows 8.1. RT and WP will merge soon I can't see this not happening.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
And the FM Radio UI, it should be the other way round where the tuned/saved stations are shown first where, by opening the application one can easily choose a saved station with a single tap. why do i have to view/see the tuning bar all the time? i must be able to view/see the tuned stations all the time.
we only tune and save stations once, then the next time it would be just a matter of choosing the saved stations.

Add pinned stations to a folder?

h_portal

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I woud like the Settings menu to use more horizontal space. Just like how Sony Ericsson used to order the items in Settings by categories:

AdobePhotoshopExpress_128ab315faa04405bc15eccb5d8e3ddc.jpg

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I'd rather see improved speed of the OS. Man, after looking how smooth is iOS I was like "lol at Android and WP" I know this doesn't count as a feature, but still. About the features, I still want to see more Window's like UI on the phone, BACKGROUND WALLPAPER, also Tiles of the apps matching the colors as on Windows, and the look of the app list just something like in WINDOWS. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers