What sucks about WP8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
So I updated to WP8.1 when an update was available for my lumia 920. After a bit of time getting used to things, I think I'm going to have to say that this update has botched quite a few things that didn't need to be touched.

A lot of really good features made their way, namely the file manager and ability to download files now (this was a huge feature missing) and the notification centre, but here's a list of things which I wish they didn't change or needs fixing;

• Photo app - The layout is awful. The old app was much nicer having your favourites change and in the background. I did notice that you couldn't check the date of a photo in the app, but grouping it by date is a really inefficient way of presenting them. Overall, just much worse done than before.
  • Volume profiles - Necessary feature, but implementation is really poor because now, it's more annoying to put the phone into silent. Case of one step forward, two steps back...
  • Games - They should never have gone into the app list. I really wonder why they changed this.
  • App store - similar issues to the photo app, layout changes just don't make sense. Previous layout was clear and had everything that was necessary.
  • Web browser - I'm really in two minds about the current way it plays videos. The previous full screen operation had its issues, but I think the current implementation is worse. I'm getting slow playback. Would have been better if they just added a scrubber for the videos.
  • Phone app - When you tapped a contact or number, for instance a missed call, it would give you various options for that contact/number, touching the circle would dial instantly. This was better, less accidents. One of those minor changes which I don't think anyone was asking for.
  • Camera app - Tiny preview of last photo, and the redundant photo button is a bit annoying. Still not sure why they changed this app, they've included tap to focus where you tapped, which was a missing feature, but beyond that, I feel the UI changes are a step backwards.
  • Social media integration - I knew this was going to get dropped, but they said that rather than having it integrated in the OS, that it would be controlled by apps. Well, it sucks. Can't put it any other way. It might as well not be there at all anymore (well it isn't), since you basically must use the phone app. Real pity, because even though the integration was limited, it was so much better to use. It's now no different to the other phones, as when I was using android, apps could integrate into the OS and you could get the same functionality.
  • Messaging - Obviously plagued by the lack of social media integration. It's now also abandoned completely. Was a good thing when MSN was still used, but separate skype apps and facebook apps, they've completely abandoned the vision of having consolidation.
  • Local Scout - I presume this has been dumped from the search feature in favour for cortana. I don't have cortana atm, and it was a feature I did use.

While the notification centre and having the quick adjust settings as well as download manager, are absolutely brilliant, but I'm yet to see many other things that they've actually improved rather than wrecked. I'm yet to try cortana, as I don't appear to be able to get it officially. I'm not too keen on voice assistants. I thought setting up quiet hours was going to be integrated, but appears to be a cortana thing, which makes me wonder why.

So my my conclusion is, WP8.1 appears to be a big change to the vision as it has certainly gone off on a tangent, and quite literally abandoned a lot of the original features. What once was clean and really different, is starting to become more like the other phone OS's, and not for the right reasons.

While I've concentrated more on where WP8.1 misses rather than hits (because i've seen plenty of discussions on that), what are your opinions? Do you think WP8.1 has improved the platform greatly? It certainly has expanded the features of WP, but like I've said before, it's a real departure of the WP vision, as I really doubt there will be any going back now.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I felt pretty similar, when I started using 8.1 (DP), but got used to it rather quickly. Brought the Me Tile back to life with an app called UniShare, began liking the new people hub as I populated it with contacts from Foursquare and Xing in addition to Outlook, Skype, LinkedIn and Twitter and much more. I even started liking the new Photo Hub, after I noticed that apps can tie into it (I currently have Facebook, OneDrive and Turtle Blog Viewer). I wished it would show the albums upon launch though.
Well, many of the changes were made so core apps could benefit from updates instead of relying on OS updates. And many other things have obviously changed based on user feedback.

Aashish13

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Fb integration I want it back on WP. It's on the hands of fb inc. Whether they quit fb messenger and integrate the chat into the fb app and operating system.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Fb integration I want it back on WP. It's on the hands of fb inc. Whether they quit fb messenger and integrate the chat into the fb app and operating system.

Very much would want it back, but would also want skype to integrate it. From what I can see, the functionality is gone though.

bonghy90

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
One man's meat is another man's poison. I absolutely love the wp8.1/cyan update. It brings about so many novelties and conveniences, namely the action centre, better internet explorer, living images, word flow and the revamp to the otherwise confusing apps store. I have no qualms with the messaging and telephony as they are doing what they are supposed to do. Just need a bit of getting used to.

However, as you said, there were a few blunders they made. The games should have never been separated from the game hub. What's the point of having a game hub now. I prefer the one they had back in windows phone 8 where ask the games could be found in the game hub. Perhaps allowing us to categorise the games in the game hub would have been a more appropriate step to take. They could have organised the setting list which is just a chunk of words too.

I do agree with you regarding the photo hub. It was already obnoxious back in the Symbian days and I can see that they haven't sorted it out, mainly all the videos you record would be saved under that folder too instead of being saved to the video hub. The biggest step backwards would be the inability to share videos in the video hub via Bluetooth as well as sharing music in bulks in the music hub.

Just my two cents.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Imo the social integration isn't that bad, I actually like how you get sent to the app after tapping on an event. However they could took this same functionality into the messaging app. Imagine having all your messages in one app. That would be a dream come true.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
What sucks........
Isn't this obvious Music app(all Xbox apps)

After update it's become very slow sluggish & show resuming screen every time.

I am OK with rest.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
One man's meat is another man's poison. I absolutely love the wp8.1/cyan update. It brings about so many novelties and conveniences, namely the action centre, better internet explorer, living images, word flow and the revamp to the otherwise confusing apps store. I have no qualms with the messaging and telephony as they are doing what they are supposed to do. Just need a bit of getting used to.

However, as you said, there were a few blunders they made. The games should have never been separated from the game hub. What's the point of having a game hub now. I prefer the one they had back in windows phone 8 where ask the games could be found in the game hub. Perhaps allowing us to categorise the games in the game hub would have been a more appropriate step to take. They could have organised the setting list which is just a chunk of words too.

I do agree with you regarding the photo hub. It was already obnoxious back in the Symbian days and I can see that they haven't sorted it out, mainly all the videos you record would be saved under that folder too instead of being saved to the video hub. The biggest step backwards would be the inability to share videos in the video hub via Bluetooth as well as sharing music in bulks in the music hub.

Just my two cents.

Agreed about the games hub. Having recorded videos in the camera roll absolutely makes sense though. And they appear in the video app too.
Bulk sharing of everything you like is also possible. Just use any of the available file managers. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes