Official WP8.1 Update 1 (GDR1) = Lumia Denim

JithinPrasad

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Official WP8.1 Update 1 (GDR1) to be called as Lumia Denim.

Forget Debian Red, the next version of Windows Phone 8 may be called Lumia Denim.
The update follows Lumia Amber, Lumia Black and Lumia Cyan, and according to their sources Windows Phone 8.1 GDR 1 will be knows as Lumia Denim.
The update is said to be ready to announce at IFA today to be held in Berlin.
Nokia Lumia 930/1520/Lumia Icon and also the Lumia 830 will recieve the update Soon.
Other devices have to wait till Q4

Source : WPDang
>> Lumia Amber
>> Lumia Black
>> Lumia Cyan
>> Lumia Denim

DJRedLine

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I thought Lumia Denim was Nokia's update and nothing to do with Update 1 which is Microsoft.

Same with Cyan and 8.1 which were both separate updates

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I thought Lumia Denim was Nokia's update and nothing to do with Update 1 which is Microsoft.

They are and aren't

The Nokia "Colour" updates are the firmware updates/releases. These are release in tandem with a windows phone release but they are NOT the same thing. The "Colour" updates include things like updated firmware for the radio devices and camera(s) and drivers for audio and display etc as well as some optimisations for hardware within the OS.

As Jithin has outlined (Quoted below for reference) each colour update corresponds with a WP version. This is where this misunderstanding occurs as people think they are all tied in and the same thing when they aren't.

Lumia Amber - WP8.0 GDR2
Lumia Black - WP8.0 GDR3
Lumia Cyan - WP8.1
Lumia Denim - WP8.1 Update

nyolc8

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Store Live tile will be only an US feature... WTF?! ><
In Windows 8.1 it works Globally... then why they make it US-only on phone?! I hate them when they do things like this... ._.

Munter2

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
October/November/December.

But by the way we get cyan, it will be January/February to recieve Denim..
Be happy with Update 1 DP
If you're on T-Mobile, like I am, we'll be lucky to see Cyan by 2016 let alone a denim update. Nothing has really changed with T-Mobile since they became the "uncarrier" same lousy tech support as always. At least they are being honest now because a real carrier would have pushed the updates.

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
The 8.1 update 1 released for the "developers" is already official. And some people explained the meaning of the name of Nokia updates. Useless thread with wrong title

JithinPrasad

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
The 8.1 update 1 released for the "developers" is already official. And some people explained the meaning of the name of Nokia updates. Useless thread with wrong title

Its not the name Simply matters.. And PFD with 8.1 Update 1 is not official. The name PFD itself tells that. Preview for Developers.. Its just a preview.
Nokia will add some extra features with update 1 and release the update in the name "Lumia Denim"
The some of the extra features added by Nokia will be 4k support for Camera, Weather Updation in Glance Screen.. Many are yet to be known..

***Before commenting about any posts make sure you have a little bit of knowledge about it.

GrislyGrizzly

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I just want Cortana in Canada, but after the DP broke on my L920 and kept me out of Cyan AND Update 1, I'm not touching the DP on my new L1020 with a 10-foot-pole.

JithinPrasad

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I just want Cortana in Canada, but after the DP broke on my L920 and kept me out of Cyan AND Update 1, I'm not touching the DP on my new L1020 with a 10-foot-pole.

Cortana is available in Canada in Alpha Version through Update 1(DP)
And it will out of Alpha and become Beta in Update 2 (Rumour)
As Update 2 brings Alpha Cortana into many new Markets..

If you are facing issues with 920, flash with NSRT.. It will Install official Cyan.
Nd then if you want cortana, activate DP and do Update 1
U haven't mentioned your issues on 920..? Battery backup is your Problem.?
I'm on Cyan+Update 1 and getting around 1 day 5 hours battery backup..

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Its not the name Simply matters.. And PFD with 8.1 Update 1 is not official. The name PFD itself tells that. Preview for Developers.. Its just a preview.
Nokia will add some extra features with update 1 and release the update in the name "Lumia Denim"
The some of the extra features added by Nokia will be 4k support for Camera, Weather Updation in Glance Screen.. Many are yet to be known..

***Before commenting about any posts make sure you have a little bit of knowledge about it.

How many times must this be stated?????

Just for clarity a dictionary definition of Preview

noun
an opportunity to view something before it is acquired or becomes generally available

The build distributed to users on the PFD IS the official build. It is released via the PFD program so that developers can test and build apps for the platform and that enthusiasts like us can gain early access to the build and also assist Microsoft with bug finding etc.

Don't believe me follow the link. Windows Phone 8 update history | Windows Phone How-to (United Kingdom).

Microsoft have had the final build numbers for "WP 8.1 Update" public for almost over a month. If you are enrolled in the PFD you will have one of the following builds installed "OS version: 8.10.14141.167, 8.10.14147.180 or 8.10.14157.200"

Yes Nokia will add their own extras but they will be part of the firmware update, or as I have begun referring to them the "Colour" updates (Denim in this instance for the uninitiated), they are in no way incorporated into the OS and are added on top after the fact. The installed build number of your OS will not change when Denim is applied.

On a final note can I ask that you get the full facts before criticising users on their knowledge and then proceeding to misinform them? There is enough confusion on this forum at the best of times and the last thing people need are incorrect details about things.

GrislyGrizzly

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
U haven't mentioned your issues on 920..? Battery backup is your Problem.?
I'm on Cyan+Update 1 and getting around 1 day 5 hours battery backup..
The thing that happened to my Lumia 920 running the DP was that it could never install Update 1. Ever since the day it was released, I could try to install it and it would go to the gears screen, but the phone would reboot after maybe 30 seconds and I would get an 80188308 error. It installed the 8.1 DP properly earlier this year, but Update 1 is impossible to install without wiping the phone. Cyan is another story. Because of the BitLocker crap, my L920 still seems to be unable to update to Cyan. That's why when I bought my L1020 a couple of months ago, I decided to go all natural and not mess with preview builds. I don't have time to get my progress back in every single game on a phone without removable storage.

Change the region to US and get Cortana that way, no?
The US settings you can apply to activate the Cortana alpha in Canada only work with Update 1. My L920 can't download Update 1 even though it's been out for months (longer story above) and my L1020 isn't enrolled in the DP which is the only way to get Update 1 as of yet, out of fear that the 920 scenario could happen again some day.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site

You are correct as Lumia is the brand of phone that MS now owns. Lumia Denim is the firmware update coupled with MS's WP8.1 update 1. No othe WP8.1 device will receive LUMIA DENIM as the name clearly states for even the "BLIND" - LUMIA.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers