Restore Startscreen layout

chorpeac

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Prior to me downgrading my Lumia 920 (running 8.1 Update 1) to 8.0 for the CYAN firmware, I made sure to backup all the data and execute complete backups within the phone. Fast forward a night and I am all up and running with CYAN and back on the dev preview with 8.1 Update 1. All my apps have been brought back and all my settings appear to be saved, however my start screen is reset. I am assuming this is partially because the apps are not available when the phone starts up, so how could it put tiles in there where they used to be prior to the upgrade. Right?

Is this one of the drawbacks to restore/resetting your phone? You start screen will need to be reconfigured?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No. I reset my phone a few days ago and the layout of my start screen was preserved (I'm also on 8.1 U1). After the restart, you will see your tiles on the start screen, but they will be "dark" in colour. As each app is downloaded and installed, the tiles for them will become active. Any apps which are no longer available will appear with a little warning exclamation mark on them - you'll need to tap the tiles to see what the problem is with those.

meandu229

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Prior to me downgrading my Lumia 920 (running 8.1 Update 1) to 8.0 for the CYAN firmware, I made sure to backup all the data and execute complete backups within the phone. Fast forward a night and I am all up and running with CYAN and back on the dev preview with 8.1 Update 1. All my apps have been brought back and all my settings appear to be saved, however my start screen is reset. I am assuming this is partially because the apps are not available when the phone starts up, so how could it put tiles in there where they used to be prior to the upgrade. Right?

Is this one of the drawbacks to restore/resetting your phone? You start screen will need to be reconfigured?

I also did this butI didnt downgrade to 8 just to vanilla cyan and lost my start screen but kept all apps/settings.

chorpeac

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
That's what I thought and have been reading about, but I didn't get anything like that. The start screen was bare...but the app settings backup was checked. hmm

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon