Direct Flash to Cyan [Tutorial]

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
WPcentral and everyone I've talked to all say "downgrade to 8.0 then update to Cyan if you're on the developer preview". This procedure... confuses me. If Cyan is out, why would you downgrade to 8.0 to get it? If it's out, then it has a ROM, and you can simply flash it. Doing it directly is significantly faster, too, for a multitude of reasons I don't think I need to explain.

This is for the impatient only. I'm certain the developer preview will be up-datable to cyan on all phones, eventually, so it is not a necessity to reset your phone or flash anything.

If it wasn't obvious, this process will erase all data stored on the phone's internal storage and you will lose everything not backed up.

I am mildly confused as to why nokia software recovery tool doesn't just grab the latest ROM and instead gives you 8.0...

1) Get navifirm+. I donated the 3EUR to get full access, but I don't think it's entirely necessary. Just makes it a lot easier.
Symbian Toys - Software NaviFirm+ to dowload the firmware of your Symbian smartphone
2) With navifirm+, download the all the files for the latest ROM for your device. I have the lumia 820 from AT&T, which is RM-824. One way to figure out what your phone is: Tapatalk usually has this string in the signature: "posted from my RM-824".
3) Move these files to C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products\RM-824 (replace RM-824 with your device's ID).
4) NOW use Nokia Software Recovery Tool. It's important to note that this program does NOT support UAC for some god forsaken reason... You can't use a local account and "Run as Admin", it *needs* to be run directly from inside an administrative account. This is probably what most of you are running by default (and shame on you for that!).
Since the ROM is already downloaded you should be able to flash straight away.

Enjoy.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Not being the most tecky person, will this work on a Verizon ICON with the DP already loaded. As we all that use Verizon know, they are painfully slow in releasing updates to their phones.

decaf19

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
WPcentral and everyone I've talked to all say "downgrade to 8.0 then update to Cyan if you're on the developer preview". This procedure... confuses me. If Cyan is out, why would you downgrade to 8.0 to get it? If it's out, then it has a ROM, and you can simply flash it. Doing it directly is significantly faster, too, for a multitude of reasons I don't think I need to explain.

This is for the impatient only. I'm certain the developer preview will be up-datable to cyan on all phones, eventually, so it is not a necessity to reset your phone or flash anything.

If it wasn't obvious, this process will erase all data stored on the phone's internal storage and you will lose everything not backed up.

I am mildly confused as to why nokia software recovery tool doesn't just grab the latest ROM and instead gives you 8.0...

1) Get navifirm+. I donated the 3EUR to get full access, but I don't think it's entirely necessary. Just makes it a lot easier.
Symbian Toys - Software NaviFirm+ to dowload the firmware of your Symbian smartphone
2) With navifirm+, download the all the files for the latest ROM for your device. I have the lumia 820 from AT&T, which is RM-824. One way to figure out what your phone is: Tapatalk usually has this string in the signature: "posted from my RM-824".
3) Move these files to C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products\RM-824 (replace RM-824 with your device's ID).
4) NOW use Nokia Software Recovery Tool. It's important to note that this program does NOT support UAC for some god forsaken reason... You can't use a local account and "Run as Admin", it *needs* to be run directly from inside an administrative account. This is probably what most of you are running by default (and shame on you for that!).
Since the ROM is already downloaded you should be able to flash straight away.

Enjoy.

I can answer a few questions...first it is recommended to do the downgrade via recovery tools because that doesn't void your warranty but flashing yourself does...

also the reason it doesn't flash to Cyan automatically is because when its released it isn't immediately updated on Nokia servers most likely because they want to have a final testing period with the actual users before its officially updated. However if you waited about 4-7 days it should be updated and allow direct flashing via recovery tools.

decaf19

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Not being the most tecky person, will this work on a Verizon ICON with the DP already loaded. As we all that use Verizon know, they are painfully slow in releasing updates to their phones.

To answer your question, yes and no. You cab flash using navfirm but you would need to unbrand your phone if a similar model in another country has cyan. If you want to officially flash cyan you have two choices.

1. Wait until it is released for developer preview devices
2. Wait until its officially released for your phone then plug phone into computer, run Nokia software recovery, it does everything for you.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I can answer a few questions...first it is recommended to do the downgrade via recovery tools because that doesn't void your warranty but flashing yourself does...

also the reason it doesn't flash to Cyan automatically is because when its released it isn't immediately updated on Nokia servers most likely because they want to have a final testing period with the actual users before its officially updated. However if you waited about 4-7 days it should be updated and allow direct flashing via recovery tools.

I'm not sure why that would void the warranty- downgrading to 8.0 is flashing as well. All the ROMs in question are stock, the official "Nokia software recovery tool" is used to do the flashing. Flashing a stock ROM is flashing a stock ROM, no matter what the version. The process is easily reversible at any rate.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

The navifirm tool only grabs official ROMs straight from Nokia's servers. If cyan isn't out for your device and carrier I would advise just waiting, don't mess around with international ROMs.

decaf19

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure why that would void the warranty- downgrading to 8.0 is flashing as well. All the ROMs in question are stock, the official "Nokia software recovery tool" is used to do the flashing. Flashing a stock ROM is flashing a stock ROM, no matter what the version. The process is easily reversible at any rate.

However if you contact Nokia support they will say NSRT not any other because u can accidentally download wrong firmware for your device with navifirm, with NSRT it is their products and reads your device ID to get right ROM

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
However if you contact Nokia support they will say NSRT not any other because u can accidentally download wrong firmware for your device with navifirm, with NSRT it is their products and reads your device ID to get right ROM

I do believe I've mentioned 3 or more times by now that NSRT is what you use to flash. No mistake can be made. Any ROM issues can be easily corrected since the boot loader is read only and you will never not be able to flash. If you are afraid for your warranty just flash 8.0 before sending it in for replacement.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2