Softcard (ISIS Wallet)... When?!?!?!

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
According to the paywithisis.com (Softcard) website, it works with all three U.S. carriers. What's interesting though is that with T-mobile's list of compatible Android phones, it's a select list (no Nexus phones for example), so simply having NFC may not be enough and the Softcard app may check the phone make. I've heard the Softcard app doesn't work on rooted phones either.

I'm tempted to get a secure nano SIM for my 1520 and see what happens. The question is whether Wallet is enough or a (non-existent?) Softcard app is needed on WP. Seems like we have conflicting info.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
What's interesting though is that with T-mobile's list of compatible Android phones, it's a select list (no Nexus phones for example)

There are no T-Mobile Nexus phones. T-Mobile sold them, but they were not branded at all. They were the exact same thing you'd buy from the Play Store. And I assure you that you can use tap to pay with a Nexus device using T-Mobile. I've done it many times.

Basically, if an Android device has NFC & KitKat, you can use tap to pay. It doesn't matter whether it's carrier branded or not. There are about 2 or 3 exceptions due to hardware limitations. (I'll soon have this posted on every thread talking about tap to pay! :amaze:)

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
There are no T-Mobile Nexus phones. T-Mobile sold them, but they were not branded at all. They were the exact same thing you'd buy from the Play Store. And I assure you that you can use tap to pay with a Nexus device using T-Mobile. I've done it many times.
Heh, I know about T-Mobile and Nexus phones; my Nexus 5 won't work with my T-Mobile SIM because I have a grandfathered plan which blocks a bunch of Nexus IMEI's. ;)

Looks like I missed the part about WP 8.1, Wallet and NFC being decoupled now. Guess we have to wait on a Softcard app. Shame.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Basically, if an Android device has NFC & KitKat, you can use tap to pay. It doesn't matter whether it's carrier branded or not. There are about 2 or 3 exceptions due to hardware limitations. (I'll soon have this posted on every thread talking about tap to pay! :amaze:)

This is true. I myself had a Galaxy Nexus with Verizon and Verizon blocked Google Wallet app (I had to side load it). Once I side loaded it, I could use it, until the next time Google updated the app, then I would have to side load it again.

However, a buddy of mine had the Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile and he could use Google Wallet with no worries. The ONLY difference between his GNex and mine was he got his thru the Play Store and I got mine via Ebay, but it was Verizon branded (i.e. the CDMA stuff and Verizon bloat ware).

Now if Verizon (in my case) and the other two carriers that are part of Softcard were to make Softcard available for WP then, I would be happy. The ONLY reason the Icon is not compatible is because of the lack of app support and nothing else.

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm tempted to get a secure nano SIM for my 1520 and see what happens. The question is whether Wallet is enough or a (non-existent?) Softcard app is needed on WP. Seems like we have conflicting info.

My Icon came with a secure sim(swapped it to my old G2 to test it out) and it didnt do a thing for me but make me hold up the line at the register and embarrass me. And yes my wallet has a few different cards attached to it with my american express serve card that softcard likes so much. But that was just my experience, ymmv. :straight:

kirill2485

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
The only way to get this feature to work is thrue Verizon Wireless (Google "verizon nfc sim" and click on the first result)

T-Mobile unfourtanatly dosen't have secure NFC SIM's. All T-Mobile has is ISIS Wallet, which is not a suitable replacement for a secure sim, as it cannot store your data on it (such as credit card numbers), as ISIS Wallet is designed to work for Androids only.

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, here we are at Apple Pay launch day. Apple was able to redesign their iPhone to add an NFC chip, write drivers from scratch to access the chip, write software from scratch to utilize the chip, lined up business partners to use the service, and marketed the service to consumers.

Meanwhile, Softcard hasn't been able to port existing software to Windows. The only thing they have accomplished is a name change, so as to confuse everyone. But since almost no one uses it, the effect was minimal.

Come on carriers - realize the mistake and let us use MS or Google Wallet.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Come on carriers - realize the mistake and let us use MS or Google Wallet.

Microsoft is the only one beholden to the carriers. And tap to pay will not work until one of 2 things happens:

1. Softcard (what used to be ISIS) releases an app for WP.
  2. Microsoft creates a workaround.
#2 is what both Apple & Google did. Google devised a software-based workaround in KitKat, which means it's been on the market for about a year already. Apple's workaround (hardware-based) was from the get-go, which is obvious since Apple Pay debuts today.

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It is the carriers that shut down MS and Google wallets. They wanted to be sure they could get a cut of the transaction fees. ISIS (or SoftCard) is a joint venture of the carriers to circumvent the other wallets. MS and Google are both fully functional, if the carriers would allow their use.

dandrayan

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I tried it with my 1520 during lunch today at Walgreens and "it just works". I'm thankful that it finally released, but I'm curious what took them so long?

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
works fine on my 920... granted, it's an AT&T branded 920, which is what is needed.
Used it for the 1st time last night. Not bad. too bad your card choices are SEVERELY limited. I'm stuck using Amex's Serve card. problem is, Amex isn't accepted everywhere.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte