Where Does NFC Stand?

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I've been looking around and after seeing a friend use an NFC tag to easily set his Galaxy 4 to Alarm mode, my first reaction was of course "Hey! I wonder if my phone can do that!"

So how far does WP8.1 go as far as NFC tags? I've read it's limited compared to other phone OS, but those were dated articles. Are NFC tags worth spending some money on?

Thanks!

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know, the experience is not good/seamless. E.g. If you want an NFC tag to launch an app, after touching your phone to the tag, it will first ask for a confirmation and then launch an app. I don't think there's a way to change modes etc at all. You can launch the respective settings but then have to manually change.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Correction. In 8.1, you can actually launch apps using NFC enabled Nokia accessories without a prompt.

Not sure of generic NFC tags or if you can toggle modes.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've been meaning to read revisit NFC tags. I bought some when I got my 920 and quickly put them away. I'm pretty sure you still can't use them to change settings or perform multiple, chained actions- but launching an app with a tap may be useful somewhere.

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'd love to hear your results. Considering buying some just to test, but it'd be great to hear how it goes. NFC tags really seem like they could be useful, it'd be a shame if Windows Phones don't use them to their potential.

NutmegState

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know where WP 8.1 is with Mobile Payments? I see the "Tap to Pay" option in the NFC settings screen but this area seems to be notably silent. I understand I need a special SIM, I assume AT&T has these now that iPhone 6 is available. According to Wallet App documentation, that is all that is needed.

Anyone know if this is working?

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know where WP 8.1 is with Mobile Payments? I see the "Tap to Pay" option in the NFC settings screen but this area seems to be notably silent. I understand I need a special SIM, I assume AT&T has these now that iPhone 6 is available. According to Wallet App documentation, that is all that is needed.

Anyone know if this is working?

Yeah... Would like to know the same... Can we do payments using our Wphone?

petteriusa

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I was going to start a thread on this, but I see people are already asking the same. Now that the iOS juggernaut has NFC on board, where does this leave WP users? Can we expect seamless integration using the Wallet on our phones?

How about other third party uses?

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I guess, it's true when some people say "When Apple does things, the do it really well" Nothing half-baked...We have had NFC for more than a year...to improve upon..
Apple will get credited for making NFC payments the norm... (nothing wrong in that, per say)

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I guess, it's true when some people say "When Apple does things, the do it really well" Nothing half-baked...We have had NFC for more than a year...to improve upon..
Apple will get credited for making NFC payments the norm... (nothing wrong in that, per say)

We have NFC on Android for couple years now. Nothing useful out of it.

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
We have NFC on Android for couple years now. Nothing useful out of it.

It's not if you have it or not.. It is about how you execute it... If you saw/read the blogs, you see that they roped in all major creditcard companies and even major stores (even wholefoods), that take the Apple mode of payment using their phone/watch... That's the way to do it.. there ARE quite a few things others could learn from Apple...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Tap-to-Pay.

There seems to be some competing standards out there. I got the Advanced or "Isis" SIM from T-MoUS and activated it. All Tap-to-Pay is enabled... Went to a Walgreen that is on a Mastercard TtP System and no go. Just a bleep from their reader and nothing on my 1520.3.

​I think we need Isis (Now Softcard) App for WinPho.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It's not if you have it or not.. It is about how you execute it... If you saw/read the blogs, you see that they roped in all major creditcard companies and even major stores (even wholefoods), that take the Apple mode of payment using their phone/watch... That's the way to do it.. there ARE quite a few things others could learn from Apple...
Agreed. On Android, Google at least has its own payment system to use it on (although not approved by any US carriers). It remains to be seen that how Apple's system pans out. Too many competing payment systems out there.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It seems Windows Phone is going to get left out in the cold on this deal.

Apple Pay, integrates into the OS, uses some secure chip and the fingerprint id doodad....no carrier intervention.

Google Wallet, integrated into the OS, not sure how it secures payment info...no carrier intervention.

Windows Phone Wallet....Needs apps to integrate into the Wallet, needs an ISIS chip or whatever the **** from a ****ty carrier to work...

Once again Microsoft sided with corporations instead of users and we get the shaft.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That's what's great about Google's tap to pay system; the carriers cannot block it! (if the device is running KitKat)

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

If you buy a carrier branded phone, they can still block the Google Wallet app. I had my Nexus 5 for almost a year now and yet to find a place that can use the Google Wallet payment system. That's the biggest problem. Carriers in US are promoting their own ISIS system. Now Apple has another. Stores have no idea which payment system it should have and can't afford to have them all supported.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
The readers are all generic. They'll support Isis/Softcard, Apple Pay, Google Wallet, or RFID-embedded credit cards.

The thing is that Google strongarmed the carriers with Google Wallet, and then they immediately pushed back and wanted a piece of the pie. Microsoft wasn't in a position to strongarm anyone at all, and so they had to work with the carriers (to their own detriment, as nothing has happened there yet). Apple, on the other hand, is big enough to be able to strongarm the carriers again for exactly what they want.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
If you buy a carrier branded phone, they can still block the Google Wallet app. I had my Nexus 5 for almost a year now and yet to find a place that can use the Google Wallet payment system. That's the biggest problem. Carriers in US are promoting their own ISIS system. Now Apple has another. Stores have no idea which payment system it should have and can't afford to have them all supported.

No, the carriers cannot block Google Wallet tap and pay if the device is running KitKat. However, there are a few devices running KitKat that cannot use tap and pay due to hardware restrictions. They're listed here:

• Samsung Galaxy Note III
  • Evo 4G LTE
  • Nexus 7 (2012)
I know what you mean about not being able to find places to use tap and pay. Around here I can use it at McDonald's, Walgreens, and CVS. There are also a few local businesses that have it. Hopefully with iPhone 6 getting tap and pay, it will become mainstream very quickly!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb