Why no one talks about this shortcoming?

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I used to talk about this missing feature ask the time when I switched to Windows Phone, but assumed the feature will be resolved in the next update... It send I'm still waiting...

The feature is to open WebPages assigned with apps, in the apps, not in IE. Example, you click on an Amazon link, it opens in IE, not in Amazon app.. Same with eBay and many others. That's such a basic feature...

Where is it?

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Amazon app or ebay app are web apps that are also just using some sort of web browser (browser wrapper) to connect to the web. The big difference is that IE is more secured.

You can easily create your own without the need to install an app that will only take up space on your phone. Set your IE to mobile mode. Open up amazon site. Then pin it to your start screen.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I see your point, bit that doesn't really answer. There are other examples as well, I just gave those as an example. The only one that really works is the Store. Think NBC news or any other news. This concept never works except for the store. Very annoying for me.

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I feel your pain. That is one of those features I miss (but sometimes hated) from android. It was nice to be prompted if I wanted to open a link in the app or the browser. Other times I wished it wouldn't prompt me and just know what I wanted. Us humans are fickle. And you're right. The store is the only instance of this on Windows phone. Hmmm. O well.

pod4711

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Amazon app or ebay app are web apps that are also just using some sort of web browser (browser wrapper) to connect to the web. The big difference is that IE is more secured.

You can easily create your own without the need to install an app that will only take up space on your phone. Set your IE to mobile mode. Open up amazon site. Then pin it to your start screen.

You completely miss Reebs point. He asks why it's not possible to open web links with the associated app, for example tap a twitter link and the twitter app opens to show the tweet etc.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I used to talk about this missing feature ask the time when I switched to Windows Phone, but assumed the feature will be resolved in the next update... It send I'm still waiting...

The feature is to open WebPages assigned with apps, in the apps, not in IE. Example, you click on an Amazon link, it opens in IE, not in Amazon app.. Same with eBay and many others. That's such a basic feature...

Where is it?

? Aren't all these apps designed to go to a website to VIEW what you want, then you decide, then you buy?? So why ? when the apps take you to a webpage? If you used a tablet or a PC wouldn't you open a webpage to view Amazon or eBay? Explain to us how does anyone view Amazon or eBay first then if it's different to typing in "www.amazon.com/eBay.com" then we can better answer.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
You completely miss Reebs point. He asks why it's not possible to open web links with the associated app, for example tap a twitter link and the twitter app opens to show the tweet etc.

Because its not TWITTER we're talking about!!! Unless he's talking about a link received to take him/her to the webpage then ok but if your talking about an APP that's designed to take you straight to the Amazon or eBay online website instead of you opening a browser and then typing the address. All those apps do is REPLACE the browser!!!!

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site

Third party apps developers use open source code for web apps and there are so many versions of, say, Twitter apps. If there is only one version of app, maybe it's possible.
Search for Google Chrome on store for example, there are so many versions of it but none are really from Google.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
This is something I've been wanting in Windows 8. Sorry, but I have to say it ---- but thus option is one thing to like about Android. It would be nice to have in the Windows world. For example. If I'm browsing a website on my Surface and done one links me to a YouTube video, I would prefer for that link to have the option to open up in Hyper (YouTube app). When I'm in BlinkFeed on my HTC One (Android) and reading a article from WP Central and click to read the full article. I have the option to launch it in the WPC app. Apps are optimized and better looking on mobile devices --- it makes sense for links to be able to open within them.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Basically what the OP & others are really referring to is context sensitive defaults (like app defaults where clicking on an .mp3 would load up your preferred media player) where the user has the option of opening links within the browser or have the o/s auto load the preferred app and take you direct to the product. I too would prefer the latter as it offers a more seamless + efficient experience on a phone or tablet and you don't end up a poorly rendered mobile website on your phone which really makes for a subpar experience.

In this app-centric era this is really a no brainer and one I hope they implement into Windows 9.

Didier3001

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
If like me you would like to see that feature in a future version I highly recommend you to vote this idea on the official Windows Phone feedback website.
windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/3801623-apps-launch-from-links

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
This is felt the most for me with Youtube videos. I want to be taken to my Youtube app when I click a link on Facebook, not IE.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I voted for the idea.. I also submitted a similar one when uservoice was revamped. I also encourage everyone to vote.

If like me you would like to see that feature in a future version I highly recommend you to vote this idea on the official Windows Phone feedback website.
windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/3801623-apps-launch-from-links

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I have recently read an article on WPCentral where it demonstrated that why users should not use login in web pages implied in apps iteslf. There is something called oAuth and WP has done great job in isolating in-app login with IE. IE is more secure. Simple.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I have recently read an article on WPCentral where it demonstrated that why users should not use login in web pages implied in apps iteslf. There is something called oAuth and WP has done great job in isolating in-app login with IE. IE is more secure. Simple.

Sorry but this makes no sense. I can open the webapp and login... So the fact that IE doesn't forward me to the corresponding app doesn't shelter me from unsecured authentication. If that logic is true, then MS should rip all webapps from the store.

Implement the option and let user choose how to open these links.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
So the fact that IE doesn't forward me to the corresponding app doesn't shelter me from unsecured authentication.

Wait wait... So what you're saying is, if IE doesn't nanny you and prevent you from doing things (well beyond its scope I might add)... It doesn't help at all? What's next, are you going to blame IE for not taking control of your car to avoid the cliff you're about to drive off of?

The OAuth problem in question is very serious, since it currently only protects against the honest- effectively it's a system of trust. Fortunately for WP most of the apps I've encountered I would trust, and the line between a trustworthy app and a spam-potentially-malicious-app is pretty thick. But this is beside the point OP has raised.

Why does WP not have this? Well, it does. Sort of. The problem, as I see it, is three fold:

1) Big company apps like eBay and Amazon rarely update their apps on WP and generally are very sparing with the features they implement.

2) These apps have been around since WP7 and the feature in question is a minor, easily overlooked addition to the list of things WP8 added.

3) The existing implementation doesn't work in the way you'd want it to.

In WP8 an app can be associated with a protocol (http:// ftp:// rsync:// etc) or an extension (.mp3 .mkv .avi etc). Internet explorer owns http:// and this cannot be changed at this time. The eBay app could in theory create a protocol eBay:// that acts as a drop in replacement for http, so all you would need to do is replace http:// with eBay:// on any eBay product page in internet explorer and the app will launch and navigate to that same page. Bing search results actually allow you to open a search result in the eBay app, I suspect by some similar method.

This system is inherently secure of course, no third party app can hijack http links and alter them on unsuspecting users.

In order to do an android style system that "just works", I suspect two changes would have to be made.
1) The developer APIs would need to be expanded to allow apps to register certain http addresses within the system,
2) and either IE would have to be updated to watch for these URLs and ask you how you want to open it, or IE would have to be dethroned as the interpreter of all http addresses in favor of some other process.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Wait wait... So what you're saying is, if IE doesn't nanny you and prevent you from doing things (well beyond its scope I might add)... It doesn't help at all? What's next, are you going to blame IE for not taking control of your car to avoid the cliff you're about to drive off of?...

1) Take it easy. We're only talking about a phone feature, not suicide :)
2) I'm not blaming IE, just talking a missing feature that happens to have IE involved, but it's an OS/WP level.
3) There are many apps that can be done safely now. Think Twitter, Facebook (which MS develops), WPCentral, Youtube (which MS develops a webApp for and many developers developed top notch apps for) and other news apps and many others. If MS doesn't to open it for all apps, at least, start with a few.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster