8.1 hates my Lumia 1020

Curucar

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I had NO issues when my 1020 was running on windows 8. Quickly after updating, the phone would randomly freeze and not turn on. It doesn't matter what app I was using or if it was sitting there unused for hours. Sometimes it even froze in the middle of the night while charging (having it on or off airplane mode made no difference).

I've uninstalled the majority of the apps I've downloaded, and made sure Cortona is the only thing able to run in the background. I'm soft resetting it multiple times per day, have hard rebooted it once this week, and even did the nokia software recovery tool thing. It's still freezing.

Any other tips and tricks I should try? I'm close to the end of my rope.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if this would help, try enrolling onto the preview for developers programme and installing the latest build which is currently 8.10.14157.200.

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Man, I'm right there with ya. My 1020 has turned into a total POS since the Cyan update. Slower than it was and I've had no less than 5 lock ups in the last week that required a reset. Three of them while the phone was sitting on the wireless charger. Now that we have proper drivers for 8.1, it might be time to try out the DP and see if it improves.

Curucar

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Welp. Enrolled in the developer's preview, updated to 8.10.14157.200. Everything seemed fine since I don't use the phone much over the weekend, but I use it frequently at work. Even after all the updates, it's frozen up three times today. Any other advice (beyond throwing it out the window)?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Reset it and start fresh. Unless something is really wrong with the phone hardware or some of the apps you're using, the OS is stable

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same issues. This week, I'm on my *third* Lumia 1020 from the Microsoft store. I bring it in, show it to them when it's frozen (I leave it in that state so the sales reps can see what's going on with it), they can't fix it, so they swap it out for a new one.

I'm not sure how many visits would just have them give me a 1520 or an Icon or something.

It may well be a hardware bug that makes the phone incompatible with the new software. Disappointing, and I'm probably on my last Lumia *and* Windows phone device. There are only so many times I want to keep going through setting up a whole new phone, with account settings, syncing and such.

If this new one does the same thing, I'll go for a new device swap, flip it and get the new Moto X or iPhone 6 or Samsung Note.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa