Bogus MS security emails?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Not sure which forum to mention this in. And can't say for sure if its WP related although the emails are about an account that I created (and use) for no other purpose than to anchor a Windows phone.

The email is below. I say it's bogus because I was never challenged to access the account when I logged on manually. I wasn't about to click on the link in the email.

Microsoft Security Alert

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Looks legit to me. If I were you, and just to be safe, I wouldn't follow the link in the email, but I would log into my account and change my password. I would activate two step verification as well. Once logged on, you can look at a list of log-ins, incorrect password entries, etc by going into your security section of your account. I received a similar email last year or so, and once in my account, I saw that someone from Vietnam had been trying to log into my account on numerous occasions. This was before I activated two step verification though.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I was asked today to do the same even though I was already logged in just because I wanted to change my credit card info....so better to be safe than sorry. And just log into the site and do it, don't click on the email. Also hover your mouse over the email to see if the livelink email is different than what it says on the screen which is a good giveaway of a fake email....

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I got the same message. I, also, did not use the link, but when I went into Outlook.com, I was informed that I should recover my account. So, it seems legitimate.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Odd thing happened to me yesterday. I logged into my account to change my password, and just out of curiosity, I took a look at the devices trusted by my account. I recognized all of my devices on the list except for one....SeansSurface was there. My name is Matt, and I have no idea who Sean is. So I deleted it from my list and changed my password. A very curious situation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos