Music app on 8.1 no longer pauses with incoming calls? More issues too?

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Maybe this was confirmed to be true and I missed it but just noticed yesterday a few things that were never issues previous to 8.1.

For one, when I'm listening to music on my headphones (via the latest version of the music app) and a call comes through, my music no longer pauses and I cannot hear the ringtone through my headphones. Instead a call comes in (shows caller display) but my music continues playing.

Also, when I used to take a call during music playback the music would resume as soon as the call ended. This no longer happens and I need to resume it manually.

Lastly, I noticed I can no longer adjust music volume during playback with the screen locked by pressing the volume rocker up or down. I need to press the phone unlock button to display my lockscreen then I can adjust volume.

Like I said, perhaps these are known issues with 8.1 and the new music app but I only noticed them yesterday. Not sure if everyone else has noticed these same issues too.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
All points that you made seem to be working in my case. I am running WP 8.1 Update 1 and have never faced such issues. So, it could be you phone. You may try a soft reset and see if that helps!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Haven't had this problem with my 1520 w/Cyan 8.1 update 1 dev preview.

Check your settings...

Yesterday I was listening to music with my headphones while mowing the grass. I got a text.. the music volume faded and Cortana announced "you have an incoming text from blah blah, would you like me to read it, or ignore it" I had her read it, and reply via voice to text..
I also received a phone call and it worked the same way... finished the phone conversation and the music resumed just fine after.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Interesting... Thanks guys. I'm running DP with update 1 but no Cyan. Can't see Cyan being the culprit though. Perhaps, I'll do a reset (holding volume down and power for 10 secs) and see if that resolves things.

Last edited:

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Interesting... Thanks guys. I'm running DP with update 2 but no Cyan. Can't see Cyan being the culprit though. Perhaps, I'll do a reset (holding power for 10 secs) and see if that resolves things.

let us know how it goes. BTW, MS has not released update 2 for 8.1 yet, so you must be on DP - update 1(GDR1), just saying :)

rstar66

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
I have the fabled fix you need (i think lol)..

I had the same issue as you. Turns out that the last music app update gave you the option (or maybe by default it set) the ringer as off.
I missed so many calls even though i was listening to music over the phone at the time which is weird.

THE FIX for me at least:

While the music is playing lock your phone. unlock and let the drop down notification with the song details (+pause next etc). When this is available press the little V on the top right. It will show you the volume toggle. Right next to the toggle you'll see Ringer OFF. Select this and your problem should be fixed.

Let me know because this worked for me. Its not a bug but actualy an option. Even vibrate toggle is available here.

Test it out if you are unsure. :)

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I just retested (and yes I meant I was update 1 sorry for the confusion!) and the music DID resume after I called myself and ended the call during playback. The ringer didn't sound through the headphones but do I need to hit the volume rocker first, expand the volume drop down options and highlight "ringer" first? Sounds like the fix mentioned by rstar66 is probably what he's explaining. Because with it un-selected I didn't hear the ringtone through the headphones. I'll try turning it on next time though. I did recall that when I had this turned on it the past it would ring over headphones and the external speaker which was obnoxious when I wanted the phone to ring through headphones only.

Also noticed that the volume up and down still did not work with the phone locked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss