Hearing Damage Warning

hkarpi

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I love my Windows Phone (NOKIA Lumia 520), but if the extremely annoying :devil: hearing damage warning ever pops up in the middle of my half marathon training again and arbitrarily lowers the volume (and messes up my workout data at the same time), I am definitely chucking the phone to look for something less annoying and more reliable.

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure about that. I've only seen the warning once and it never lowered the volume. Anyway you shouldn't put it over 10 if you're using ear buds.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I am definitely chucking the phone to look for something less annoying and more reliable.

You make me want to facepalm. The hearing damage warning pops up ONCE, and ONCE ONLY - the very first time you put the volume too high. Perhaps, outside of your jogging app, you should turn the volume up, DISMISS the message rather than ignoring it, and you'll never see it again.

It's literally... that... simple. So don't give us a load of tosh about how you are going to chuck the phone when you've been defeated by something so utterly simple and pathetic. Get a grip! I swear these days people will whine that the wind blew a single droplet of water onto their face and demand recompense from mother nature itself!

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I looked around for this setting yesterday, but I obviously dismissed the warning so couldn't find it, I am left to myself to make myself as deaf as I want to be, now what did you say.......

Bob

Theo_andravida

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
True, the notification popped up rarely. It does lower the volume, but it happens like in one in a month time! Native you are selecting something wrong? Idk

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
True, the notification popped up rarely. It does lower the volume, but it happens like in one in a month time! Native you are selecting something wrong? Idk

It pops up once every ten (maybe twenty?) hours of listening time. So if you listen a lot (like I do), it pops up more often than if you listen a little.

What makes it especially annoying for me is that most of my listening is done in my car, over Bluetooth, where I *have* to set the phone volume to 30 in order to make the phone volume equivalent to the radio or CD player. (If I do what the phone wants, and set it to a "safe" 13, then any time I switch to radio, I *will* risk damaging my hearing...)

I'm fairly tolerant of bugs, but I have no patience for things that work this badly *on purpose*.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
What? My warning, on all my WP devices, popped up once only. Given how anal they are about safety warnings in the states (for example cars in the UK don't have that fine print in mirrors about objects being closer than they appear because our government assumes our citizens have a lick of common sense, or packets of nuts containing 'contains nuts' warnings to name two examples) I wouldn't put it past the US carriers to tweak the firmware so the message pops up more frequently rather than just the once.

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
The warning pops up all the time. (Lumia 928). It also seems to be tied to an EU standard more than any decision by Microsoft or a United States law... EUROPA - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - Consumers: EU acts to limit health risks from exposure to noise from personal music players

It's extremely annoying when you use your phone as an audio input to a stereo through the audio cable or Bluetooth. I use my phone to listen to music and podcasts while I'm driving and for phone calls and texting via voice. Fumbling with the warning and volume controls defeats the purpose of having a hands free solution in the vehicle.

To the people who swear it only happens ONCE AND ONLY ONCE, EVER!!!. - Just chillax and don't tell people that you shouldn't do blah, blah... You obviously use your device in a different way. The warning seems to come up when it has been at volume for an extended period of time. Trust me. It doesn't matter how you acknowledge the message. It will come back and it will cut the volume automatically.

There really does need to be some way of permanently disabling this nanny feature.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I think it is definitely every 20 hours or something. Especially since I'm on dp my 1020 has crashed a few times so it does reset. It does also seem to do it for every different device. So my car, my headset, my jbl... It is very annoying...

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
My one only does it after listening to a few songs after i have restarted the handset (be that by choice or due to firmware update) once it has flashed the warning and dropped the volume to 13 it never re-occurs until the next time i have to restart.

wpdev

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
This is the exact problem I'm having! I just posted about it. Yes, the message comes up and it lowers your volume. So annoying! This is happening way too often.

latempete

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
This is a request from a long time ago. It is a European requirement. The phones have to have it. It could be because Nokia is based in Finland. If that's the case, maybe they can get rid of it now on new phones.

waitthereimaWP

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
This is a request from a long time ago. It is a European requirement. The phones have to have it. It could be because Nokia is based in Finland. If that's the case, maybe they can get rid of it now on new phones.
I think this is the case, though I don't really care when it pops up, it's rare for me anyhow...

Kascha K

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You make me want to facepalm. The hearing damage warning pops up ONCE, and ONCE ONLY - the very first time you put the volume too high. Perhaps, outside of your jogging app, you should turn the volume up, DISMISS the message rather than ignoring it, and you'll never see it again.

It's literally... that... simple. So don't give us a load of tosh about how you are going to chuck the phone when you've been defeated by something so utterly simple and pathetic. Get a grip! I swear these days people will whine that the wind blew a single droplet of water onto their face and demand recompense from mother nature itself!

Perhaps you want to stow the arrogance.

1. The warning does NOT automatically appear the second you go over the excessive volume level.

2. The excessive volume level is NOT even clear not to mention set in stone and it is most assuredly NOT 13 because if it is? The phone takes forever to post the warning as I am never playing music under 18 and do not get the warning reliably as soon as I exceed 13.

SO,

When I get on a motorcycle, adjust volume to my usual level say, 20, and ride the streets. I do not always get warning. When I do get it though, I have to do everything that OP just said he has to do to get rid of it. And that's after pulling off the road.

Try that on the freeway in traffic on a bike where the setting you had needs to be adjusted up for wind and engine noise with gloves on to say, 26, only to have this phone RANDOMLY reduce to13 which is a level you can't even hear in a parking lot with a helmet on and can't do anything about until you can pull over and unlock the phone, before you wax smug again.

Kascha K

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I think this is the case, though I don't really care when it pops up, it's rare for me anyhow...

It's a European requirement. So what is it doing on AT&T's U.S. 1520's?

Wireless charging and the other 16GB of storage managed somehow to miss the boat to the U.S. Yet European volume nannies shipped out on time? And knowing this phone is going to both markets, Microsoft/Nokia couldn't have made this a selectable default such that it defaults to this behavior but can be toggled off in the U.S.? At least?

Not good enough.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

No. It really doesn't only pop up once. I've seen it countless times on my Nokia Lumia. Every time it locks the volume to no higher than 13 until you acknowledge it too. I get it's a European thing but it doesn't make it any less annoying. Of course being European myself, if I have a phone without it I'm breaking the law. And I think if you're caught in Europe without that feature on your audio enabled device the EU can still sue the company.

Rolavine

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
My Microsoft (Nokia) 640 reduces volume on the headphone jack and won't let me increase it. This is dangeous and annoying, given that headphones differ in efficiency 100 to 1 this nanny trick is very poorly advised and the phone has no idea of how much audio power is hitting your ears. Goofy nonsense Microsoft, your engineers should no better.

Simon_Pagel

Nov 1, 2017
Visit site
I bought a cheap second hand Nokia 930 as a dedicated music player for playing music for group fitness classes.

Have been reasonably happy with it, sound wise. Been annoyed that you can't modify playlists in the Groove app but lived with it - doing it on the PC then syncing across.

But this bug/feature is the final straw, had it drop out in the middle of a class. I'd be ok with the drop in volume when you plug in headphones, like Samsung do, but this random volume drop is rubbish.

It's no wonder Gates is using Android these days.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)