Should MS ditch Skype integration into WP for Whatsapp/Facebook messenger integration

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Skype is for video calling, conferencing and messaging. Whatsapp isn't. Neither is Facebook. So it is moot point to even consider to compare them and choose between them.

MameTozhio

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
They should add an API for it to hook into the messaging hub, and if it's enabled in the app (it would ask you like in the facebook app if you want to link it to the people hub), opening the app would bring you to the messaging hub and you'd be able to switch like you could with facebook and Skype messaging in WP8.

Medwynd

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I don't know anyone that uses any of those apps on their mobile device. If they need to send someone a message they just text them.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't know anyone that uses any of those apps on their mobile device. If they need to send someone a message they just text them.

Translation: I don't know anyone that uses this. Therefore no one does. I mean its not like whatsapp has more users than Windows Phone and iOS at all. No sireee

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
They ditched integration because they sucked and lacked features of a full fledged app (like stickers). And if they needed to fix something you had to wait for the OS to be updated which MS has been painfully slow with. There's obviously much they could have done to improve it but at the snails pace they were moving at it wasn't ever going to reach a point whet it would have been awesome. Look at the Facebook tie in right now in 8.1, it's still slow as crap to pull up any kind of news updates through the hub. I find it pointless when its faster to load the app and get the news there than it is to wait for the feds to show up in the hub. It doesn't help when the news updates seems to be broken lately.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
This if crucial for me before I can recommend WP to any of my friends and family. It's one of the features that I think it's crazy to me missing from WP. Bout only those messaging apps, ANY messaging app should be able to join at least the sharing menu.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nah. Skype should be to Microsoft as iMessage is to Apple; however, Microsoft should first have to upgrade the Skype experience on WP to at least match - if not exceed - the experience on iOS. Which is heads and tails above WP. Just like all of MS's mobile apps.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Nah. Skype should be to Microsoft as iMessage is to Apple; however, Microsoft should first have to upgrade the Skype experience on WP to at least match - if not exceed - the experience on iOS. Which is heads and tails above WP. Just like all of MS's mobile apps.

Yeah, it's kind of ironic and funny (not ha-ha, but sad funny) that for the premier experience for Windows services (including touch Office) on a mobile device.....you should be buying an iPhone 6!

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I just text, don't see the need for the others since I don't msg with people overseas a whole lot. I dislike Facebook and its many tentacles so I'd hate to have that as the default.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No.

Don't get me ranting on how tired I am of having social media users trying to ram their favored service down my throat. Social media is optional, not mandatory.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
They ditched integration because they sucked and lacked features of a full fledged app (like stickers). And if they needed to fix something you had to wait for the OS to be updated which MS has been painfully slow with. There's obviously much they could have done to improve it but at the snails pace they were moving at it wasn't ever going to reach a point whet it would have been awesome. Look at the Facebook tie in right now in 8.1, it's still slow as crap to pull up any kind of news updates through the hub. I find it pointless when its faster to load the app and get the news there than it is to wait for the feds to show up in the hub. It doesn't help when the news updates seems to be broken lately.
How about something like extensibility where the app can add itself into the hub or fees directly into the hub

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Again. It is always optional, and options are good.

The OP is talking about Microsoft putting resources into it. Read the title.

IDK why there is a Facebook App I have to delete from a clean install. That is not optional. Microsoft authors that App. People whinging about Facebook is what made Microsoft author the App in the first place. People whinging about Facebook to get Microsoft to spend more time and programmer resources on Facebook makes me want to scream. I get upset that they want to try and ram Facebook down my throat.

I want the option of never having to look at it if I so choose. Where is that option?

If Facebook wanted you on their service as a Windows Phone user, they should invest the time and resources to build an App with the functions you want. How is it Microsoft's responsibility? We went around in another thread on this and no one can link a stat from a legit source showing how having working Facebook affects the phone purchase decision of a significant number of buyers. No one can come forward and state as a Facebook user what Facebook does that makes it so irreplaceable.

Facebook users cry out how essential it is. Where is the proof that shows why Microsoft has to pump more time, money and effort into enriching Facebook? How is it not Facebook's problem from start to finish?

I don't want my mobile OS spending resources on 3rd party services. I'm not sure why there is a Skype App authored by Microsoft either. If the 3rd party service won't author the App an independent developer should. If no one does, then how essential can it be?

​Microsoft should concentrate on the OS and let the 3rd party services worry about themselves.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb