FBI director blasts Apple and Google for encrypting data on smartphones

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Another article in the Washington Post today about Apple's and Google's soon to come default encryption of data on smartphones.

FBI blasts Apple, Google for locking police out of phones - The Washington Post

Microsoft should take advantage of this marketing opportunity and produce tv ads saying that Windows Phone 8 doesn't encrypt your personal data by default.

I assume this is meant as a joke, albeit a rather strained one? I am pretty sure claiming you make your data available to law enforcement is not exactly a selling point.

Quite frankly, it is all BS anyway since Microsoft is the company currently at odds with the feds over withholding data on its overseas servers from the Justice Department and intelligence agencies. Google and Apple also hardly have reputations for blocking access and anyone who thinks they do not have keys to the encryption is being very na?ve. Google, in particular, lives off of harvesting peoples' data, confidential or not - people should read one of their user agreements sometime if you want to see what the corporate version of NSA looks like. If they can use your data to bombard you with targeted advertising, it is a pretty good that safe as a glass revolving door.

BTW, do you think that terrorists, etc., flock to Windows Phone? It would be the pseudo-logical conclusion that all illegal activity tracked and/or intercepted by intelligence agencies, law enforcement, etc., occurs within the 3% WP unencrypted market share. I am not sure but it would seem pretty likely they have access to the other 97%, otherwise we must all be a rather unsavory lot since we account for all the evils of the world.

Sorry but any bluster about Google or Apple is almost certainly just for public show. They can get what they want, when they want it. That also even applies to Blackberry's vaunted security. If they agencies do not have voluntary access they hack it and none of these OSs would count as particularly complicated so it would hardly take much time. In reality though, I doubt the have to go that route much at all. .

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Anybody discussing criminal activity, that nets you either life or a needle, over a common mobile line deserves what they get. Leave the gun, get the cannoli.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Another article in the Washington Post today about Apple's and Google's soon to come default encryption of data on smartphones.

FBI blasts Apple, Google for locking police out of phones - The Washington Post

Microsoft should take advantage of this marketing opportunity and produce tv ads saying that Windows Phone 8 doesn't encrypt your personal data by default.
No way. The government shouldn't have access to our phone content. I would consider switching away from WP if MS doesn't start making that an option for individual customers (companies can already do this with WP via Exchange). I suspect its coming very soon for WP and can't happen soon enough.

I may get flack but I think anyone who thinks ANY government is benevolent enough to not abuse the information they have access to is naive at best.

I have no problem with some bad guys getting away because they encrypt their data any more than I don't mind some bad guys winning in court instead of the govt just locking anyone up they believe committed a crime (or just say they believe it).

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Haven't 3rd party encryption solutions long been available on these platforms anyway? Does Windows Phone not have Bitlocker?

Someone got the FBI Head to react to a headline... I have no doubt they can crack your phone like a soggy peanut anytime they care to.

s2mikey

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
No way. The government shouldn't have access to our phone content. I would consider switching away from WP if MS doesn't start making that an option for individual customers (companies can already do this with WP via Exchange). I suspect its coming very soon for WP and can't happen soon enough.

I may get flack but I think anyone who thinks ANY government is benevolent enough to not abuse the information they have access to is naive at best.

I have no problem with some bad guys getting away because they encrypt their data any more than I don't mind some bad guys winning in court instead of the govt just locking anyone up they believe committed a crime (or just say they believe it).

I have to agree here. Although, the thought of a child molester or terrorist getting away does sicken me and those scenarios are hard to swallow. But, the vast majority of cases dont fall into this category and Id rather the Feds and the Obnoxious FBI stay out my life, ya know? A free society will always have some bad ones that "get away" but that beats the alternative which is good people doing minor things or nothing at all getting hassled, arrested, or investigated for nothing. Screw that.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I assume this is meant as a joke, albeit a rather strained one? I am pretty sure claiming you make your data available to law enforcement is not exactly a selling point.

Quite frankly, it is all BS anyway since Microsoft is the company currently at odds with the feds over withholding data on its overseas servers from the Justice Department and intelligence agencies. Google and Apple also hardly have reputations for blocking access and anyone who thinks they do not have keys to the encryption is being very na?ve. Google, in particular, lives off of harvesting peoples' data, confidential or not - people should read one of their user agreements sometime if you want to see what the corporate version of NSA looks like. If they can use your data to bombard you with targeted advertising, it is a pretty good that safe as a glass revolving door.

BTW, do you think that terrorists, etc., flock to Windows Phone? It would be the pseudo-logical conclusion that all illegal activity tracked and/or intercepted by intelligence agencies, law enforcement, etc., occurs within the 3% WP unencrypted market share. I am not sure but it would seem pretty likely they have access to the other 97%, otherwise we must all be a rather unsavory lot since we account for all the evils of the world.

Sorry but any bluster about Google or Apple is almost certainly just for public show. They can get what they want, when they want it. That also even applies to Blackberry's vaunted security. If they agencies do not have voluntary access they hack it and none of these OSs would count as particularly complicated so it would hardly take much time. In reality though, I doubt the have to go that route much at all. .

Not a joke but tongue in cheek to be sure. Then again, if you lump in prisons and private security companies with government-based law enforcement in the U.S., that would be a market in the neighborhood of millions of potential WP customers in the U.S, if WP became the 'Officially supported smartphone of law enforcement.' Who knows how many units they might sell? :evil:

Now that state and some county government law enforcement officials are piling on the bashing-encryption bandwagon it's just that with all the free publicity that the FBI is giving to highlight the encryption security of Apple and Android-based phones, isn't Microsoft feeling a little left out? Every news article is about Apple and Google.

Not everyone who wants their data protected is a crook. Right now the message is that Apple and Android phones are potentially secure enough that the FBI is concerned. Great pr and advertising even if it was unintended by either company.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree here. Although, the thought of a child molester or terrorist getting away does sicken me and those scenarios are hard to swallow. But, the vast majority of cases dont fall into this category and Id rather the Feds and the Obnoxious FBI stay out my life, ya know? A free society will always have some bad ones that "get away" but that beats the alternative which is good people doing minor things or nothing at all getting hassled, arrested, or investigated for nothing. Screw that.

Your data on the carrier's servers will probably be handed over at any time with a simple law enforcement request... Happens all day, every day. There are already established channels for it.

Encrypting the data on your phone won't change that. Encrypting your phone's data only slows down search after seizure. How worried are you that some law enforcement agency will be seizing your phone as physical evidence? If you are a good person who's done nothing wrong, what are they finding on your physical phone that then railroads you further down the path to unfair and unjust incarceration?

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
More free advertising for the iPhone 6 and Android:

"Signaling Post-Snowden Era, New iPhone Locks Out N.S.A."
www.nytimes.com/2014/09/27/technology/iphone-locks-out-the-nsa-signaling-a-post-snowden-era-.html

However as the article hints, I wouldn't be surprised if the NSA could crack the crypto in a reasonable amount of time already.

Your data on the carrier's servers will probably be handed over at any time with a simple law enforcement request... Happens all day, every day. There are already established channels for it.

Encrypting the data on your phone won't change that. Encrypting your phone's data only slows down search after seizure. How worried are you that some law enforcement agency will be seizing your phone as physical evidence? If you are a good person who's done nothing wrong, what are they finding on your physical phone that then railroads you further down the path to unfair and unjust incarceration?

As you said, data stored in the cloud and from the carriers are available to law enforcement but that requires legal action from prosecutors. For most consumers. device encryption is like a security blanket; it might be thin but it is better than nothing (btw Bitlocker is not accessible on Windows Phone by most users). Apple and Android can capitalize on this marketing opportunity because they can read consumer preferences and attitudes very well. Or they have extraordinarily good luck.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Do you guys really think that you will get your privacy from big brother by encrypting your data on the smartphone?

Those who are so concerned with their privacy should just get a Nokia flip phone and carry a tablet for occasional web use. Otherwise, get used to it 'cause it changing anytime soon. Thirteen years ago I railed against the Patriot Act and was labeled as unpatriotic and a liberal lunatic. Never mind that I was a registered Republican and voted for Bush twice but that's another matter. I was against it because I knew we were giving away our freedoms to the very governments that were supposed to protect them. The way I saw it, it was like spitting on the graves of every serviceman that laid down his life to protect us from tyranny. It's ironic that the tyranny is coming from within.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa