Your phone will NOT charge faster after 8.1 Update 1 you need a compatible charger.

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Not sure how aware everyone was about this so for those that weren't:

"Quick Charge 2.0 does require a compatible QC2.0 charger in order to reap the benefits of the new tech, though it will charge at QC1.0 speeds when using a QC1.0-compatible charger."

So to rephrase so we're all clear on this:

"This works on existing devices, so you don't need a new phone to take advantage of this BUT YOU WILL NEED TO BUY A 2.0 CHARGER THAT ARE CURRENTLY NOT ON SALE ANYWHERE. This will let you charge your phone quicker using the Qualcomm Quickcharge 2.0 standard."

No chargers available in US/UK at time of writing. Motorola have one in the works but it is not released yet.

Motorola Turbo Charger

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm not overly surprised by the news. It makes logical sense that to charger quicker you need a new charge to accomplish this. The older charger obviously doesn't have this capability.

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm not overly surprised by the news. It makes logical sense that to charger quicker you need a new charge to accomplish this. The older charger obviously doesn't have this capability.

Yes I agree although statements by this very site claiming "This works on existing devices, so you don't need a new phone to take advantage of this " whilst true, is still slightly misleading. The impression this gives is that your phone is ready to rock 2.0 charging when it isn't, you need the 2.0 charger too.

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't you use an iPad charger if you have something like that around. It's a 2.1 charger which should be enough

have an ipad. are you referring to the little usb plug?
and, does it have to be a full sized ipad, or is the mini also 2.1?

just tried my ipad mini plug. got the slow charging pop up.

Terry Bernstein

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm slightly surprised that there is any alternative to plugging in a standard USB charger (other than for Apple's devices,of course).
. My 635 instructions actually say, "any compatible USB charger".
So I guess from what you are saying that this new technology is only for devices that use a proprietry charging system, Given the choice of that and the simplicity of just conecting to whatever USB lead is available I'd stick with the USB.

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm slightly surprised that there is any alternative to plugging in a standard USB charger (other than for Apple's devices,of course).
. My 635 instructions actually say, "any compatible USB charger".
So I guess from what you are saying that this new technology is only for devices that use a proprietry charging system, Given the choice of that and the simplicity of just conecting to whatever USB lead is available I'd stick with the USB.

2.0 Chargers will become the standard as this tech rolls out, there is nothing stopping anyone using a normal USB charger, in fact we don't have a choice right now as 2.0 chargers haven't hit the market place yet. It's not a case of either or.

Your instructions don't cover 8.1 Update 1. Also that instruction hasn't changed. Use any lead you like, as will I. If you see a 2.0 smart charge charger lying around give it a whirl it will charge your phone (if it has 8.1 Update 1) up to 75% faster. Or don't, it's up to you.

Terry Bernstein

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
So is the plug on the 2 charger the same as a USB plug? The convention has always been that different typews of chargers have different plugs - to prevent using the wrong plug. And the battle has been to standardise plugs for chargers that are the same.

Terry Bernstein

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Ah there you go. My phone - Lumia 635 - came with just a USB lead. No charger at all.
Others seem to come with just a basic generic mains to USB adaptor. That's all I ( and most other people in the UK at least) know about. (Other than Apple devices of course).

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Ah there you go. My phone - Lumia 635 - came with just a USB lead. No charger at all.
Others seem to come with just a basic generic mains to USB adaptor. That's all I ( and most other people in the UK at least) know about. (Other than Apple devices of course).

Firstly you've been unfortunate there as Nokia's own website states that your 635 comes with a "High Efficiency Charger AC-20" in the box so commiserations on that.
The " basic generic mains to USB adapter" you describe contains Qualcomm 1.0 as do all current Nokia chargers, an agreement that exists with Nokia and most other manufacturers to EU requirements on power consumption. The 2.0 chargers when released will look no different. If/when you download update 1 wait a little while get yourself a 2.0 charger when they come out and enjoy your phone charging up to 75% faster, or don't It's entirely up to you. Hope this clears up any misunderstanding and/or assumptions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon