Why do most people hate windows 8?

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Plz show me some good reasons why ppl just hates win 8 so much.

I use windows 8.1 and to be honest i love it!

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
re:

I'm with you. I don't understand. They tossed the charm bar in W10. Why?
Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

davidofmidnight

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
re:

The whole touch/Metro UI didn't meet my productivity workflow, and I wasn't going to spend $100 to go backwards. So when 8.1 came out, I still had no reason to upgrade since 7 works perfectly fine for me.

Albert_Elliot

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
re:

I think is cause people hate what they don't know. Most of people I know who hates Windows 8 (and WP too), is because ther're lazy enough to learn how to use it right

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
re:

For my laptop it would be fine because it is a tablet PC penenabled. But for my desktop I am very happy with 7. Its stable and works great for my needs. Upgrading for non touch devices is very low on my priority list. I would rather invest in a better quality 2nd monitor first for my photo editing.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

The new start menu turned off some people for whatever reason and the entire thing fed back into itself and got blown out of proportion.
etc etc, there is no shortage of other arguments, both very valid, and less so.

cuek80

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
re:

I think its because most of them try win8 on a non touch screen device. I did, and I hate it. now that I have a convertible laptop running 8.1, I'm loving it, switching desktop from/to tablet UI is great. I just hope more apps are coming to windows store for modern UI.
and I bet most of ppl who hate it are used to use windows to work on desktop environment. with mouse it is difficult to search apps that u haven't put shortcut on desktop, and without mouse it is more difficult to work on desktop, since the UI is not optimized for touch navigation.

for everyone who has difficulties to search apps without the startmenu, should:
- make shortcut on desktop
- pin to start, and group it so that u know its desktop apps
- use win+S to search apps

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

I think its because most of them try win8 on a non touch screen device. I did, and I hate it. now that I have a convertible laptop running 8.1, I'm loving it, switching desktop from/to tablet UI is great. I just hope more apps are coming to windows store for modern UI.
and I bet most of ppl who hate it are used to use windows to work on desktop environment. with mouse it is difficult to search apps that u haven't put shortcut on desktop, and without mouse it is more difficult to work on desktop, since the UI is not optimized for touch navigation.

for everyone who has difficulties to search apps without the startmenu, should:
- make shortcut on desktop
- pin to start, and group it so that u know its desktop apps
- use win+S to search apps
I use Windows 8.1 on a non-touchscreen desktop, I find no real issues and certainly don't hate it.
Though "settings" in Windows 7 was far more logical.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I use windows 8 on my dual booted MacBook and I dreaded having to use metro. I don't want apps taking up my entire screen. Settings was a pain in the ***. It severely hampered work flow. I don't want a touch dominated OS on my laptop.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I use Windows 8.1 on my non touch laptop and absolutely love it. I'm using it with touchpad, and the synaptics drivers just work so great for me that I don't really have any problem with Windows 8.1. In fact when I use Windows 7 on friend's laptop or Windows 10 on my dual boot, I find it difficult to click on tiny icons with my touchpad like the 3 dots for settings in Windows 10, while gestures work so great for things like charms and app switching in 8.1. In the beginning I kinda hated it and I used to use a mouse all the time. But as I took time and learned all the bits I prefer touchpad to mouse any day! And ohh yeah, 8.1 to 10 & 7 any day!

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I And ohh yeah, 8.1 to 10 & 7 any day!

If Microsoft get 10 right it will be a futuristic blend of both, allowing you to work or play however you want, although I like 8.1 I have to admit I hated 8, the logic of it was wrong, 8.1 changed this, but I can understand how the average office worker suddenly confronted by it would struggle, I have the time to play with it and love it, but a receptionist is a stubborn beast who can't readily understand change.

Bob

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For the people who say it slowed workflow, and made comments about a touch-dominated OS, or complaining about apps taking the whole screen... I have a couple of questions. And while these may come off as snarky, they're not meant to be, and I'm really curious as to your answers.

First off, how long did you actually work with Windows 8/8.1 before you gave up due to productivity restrictions? Secondly, you do know that every touch-centric aspect of the OS can be ignored or deleted, yes? Finally, you know that you can delete all but five of the full-screen "metro" apps and just use desktop apps, yes?

The reason I ask is that I love Windows 8/8.1, but two of my three Windows 8/8.1 machines are desktop/non-touch laptops. I've deleted all the "metro" apps (except for those five) and use all desktop apps. Windows 8/8.1 runs better, faster, and more smooth than did Windows 7, and using the Start Screen as a desktop application launch pad has actually increased my workflow (it's easier for me to hit the Start Screen and click a large, easily identifiable tile than it is to hunt through the All Programs menu).

I took to Windows 8 immediately and found Windows 8.1 to be all the better in that environment. My boss hated it initially - for many of the same reasons listed above - but really only gave it an hour or so tops and didn't spend any time configuring the system for his workflow. He's since gotten a Surface Pro 3 and configured his desktop much as I do, and now says that he's really gotten used to the Start Screen and really appreciates Windows 8.1.

anon(9057135)

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft went a little to far when creating Windows 8. Windows 8 was a Bigggggg leap that got desktop users mad. I like windows 8 but i would like it more if i could use my own picture and not my desktop background for the start screen..

FlandersNed

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Because the OS's new features pushed towards a tablet-like experience and not a desktop, which was why a lot of people didn't want it; it didn't suit their needs.

It doesn't matter that the touch features can be ignored, what matters is that they focused on making a tablet experience on a desktop instead of improving the non-touch desktop experience.

But regardless, this is a tired topic. Windows 10 is what's important not, not Windows 8.

Aluriel

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
There are some reasons, and none of them are about performance. Basicaly, Windows 8 came with the start screen, that works great for those using touch screen devices, but this interaction is not that great with the simple mouse + keyboard combination, it was about environment, they didn't have this in mind I think, so the start button needed to come back, and it's the most important update on 8.1 to PC users.

It was trying to create mobile interaction on a desktop/laptop computer. Not so great idea.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs