Is it legal to install "xbox" apps if you don't own an xbox?

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
If it's legal...how do you install an "xbox" app without an xbox?

Seems like every game on WP requires xbox. Pretty annoying when I can install the same games on android without an xbox.

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
re:

Not quite sure what you mean. Can you give an example of a "xbox" game on Android and one that is available for Xbox?

unnatixlr8

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
If it's legal...how do you install an "xbox" app without an xbox?

Seems like every game on WP requires xbox. Pretty annoying when I can install the same games on android without an xbox.
Xbox enabled games means they are tied with Xbox live achievements. And you don't need to have a Xbox to play those games. Just download games on your phone and play.
Pretty much you can play the same game on Android and iPhone without Xbox live integration.

In other words, it legal to have Windows phone with Xbox enabled games on it. It's a feature on this platform.

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
re:

Xbox enabled games means they are tied with Xbox live achievements. And you don't need to have a Xbox to play those games. Just download games on your phone and play.
Pretty much you can play the same game on Android and iPhone without Xbox live integration.

In other words, it legal to have Windows phone with Xbox enabled games on it. It's a feature on this platform.

I can't even install an xbox game (never mind run it) without an xbox account. So I'm still confused....how do I install an xbox game WITHOUT an xbox account?

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
re:

Not quite sure what you mean. Can you give an example of a "xbox" game on Android and one that is available for Xbox?

I've never needed an xbox account to install an android game.

I'm blocked from installing any "xbox" game on WP because I don't have an xbox account.

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
re:

Not necessarily. Xbox Live does have a tiered service, one free and one paid. However to download Xbox games the free account should suffice.

jameshn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
re:

Go to xbox.com and create an account a silver xbox Live account is free once you have this account you are ready to download and install xbox games in your Phone

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
re:

Go to xbox.com and create an account a silver xbox Live account is free once you have this account you are ready to download and install xbox games in your Phone

I tried but the site just crashes:

-----
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: xonline.common.webplatform.livecache.LivecacheResponseException: User_Account returned an error, HResult=0x80154002
Calling LIVE service front door: User_Account
for API: GetLinkedGamertag
-----

And so on...

Is there an easier way?

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
re:

First off. Have your actually got a live/hotmail/outlook account?
This account you use with your Windows phone basically IS you're Xbox account.
All Microsoft services are tied together if you use the one account.
To be fair I DID have an Xbox and account before I got the phone. But I've since set up a new phone for my wife and mother as well as talking a mate through the process.

The account log in details you set your phone up with are the same details you need to log in to Xbox.
This is the same for all Microsoft services eg OneDrive, Oulook, Skype

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
re:

First off. Have your actually got a live/hotmail/outlook account?
This account you use with your Windows phone basically IS you're Xbox account.
All Microsoft services are tied together if you use the one account.
To be fair I DID have an Xbox and account before I got the phone. But I've since set up a new phone for my wife and mother as well as talking a mate through the process.

The account log in details you set your phone up with are the same details you need to log in to Xbox.
This is the same for all Microsoft services eg OneDrive, Oulook, Skype

Thanks for your help. I have no problems with Hotmail, OneDrive, Skype, etc. I can't log into xbox. I don't think xbox accounts even existed when I originally created my Microsoft account, so maybe I need a new Microsoft account. But I don't want to lose all my app purchases and contacts and everything, and really, it seems like too much trouble. Unless there is a legal way to install xbox games without an xbox account, I just won't be able to install WP games.

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
re:

I also don't get the fact you can't download Xbox branded games? Can you download the non branded games?

Try logging onto Xbox.com on your pc using your details and see what happens.

How long you've had your account shouldn't make any difference.

Please don't take any offence, your questions and the details you're giving seem a bit strange and loose on information. I'm only saying as it makes it harder to get to the bottom of your problem.

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
re:

I also don't get the fact you can't download Xbox branded games? Can you download the non branded games?

Yes, because those don't require an xbox account.

Try logging onto Xbox.com on your pc using your details and see what happens.

The site crashes every time (see details above).

How long you've had your account shouldn't make any difference.

Shouldn't, I agree! But I suspect does.

Please don't take any offence, your questions and the details you're giving seem a bit strange and loose on information. I'm only saying as it makes it harder to get to the bottom of your problem.

Thanks to your information I'm convinced that the problem is a bug and not because I don't own an xbox or subscribe to any xbox services. Because my understanding now is that anyone is supposed to be able to get a free xbox account. It's just that in my case, I can't (unless I create a brand new Microsoft account which I don't want to do).

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
re:

Which country are you in? Your Xbox account IS your Microsoft account. Could the site be being blocked in your country or your location?
I just went to xbox.com and signed in with my Microsoft account and there are no problems there.

The reason for the xbox account is to track achievements and accomplishments between games. So say you play Age Of Empires: Castle siege it will tack your stats and you can continue on say on a tablet or desktop computer without loosing any progress between the different platforms.

So the questions should be,
1. are you in a country that would block access to the site?
2. What web browser are you using on a desktop or laptop computer?

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Which country are you in? Your Xbox account IS your Microsoft account. Could the site be being blocked in your country or your location?
I just went to xbox.com and signed in with my Microsoft account and there are no problems there.

The reason for the xbox account is to track achievements and accomplishments between games. So say you play Age Of Empires: Castle siege it will tack your stats and you can continue on say on a tablet or desktop computer without loosing any progress between the different platforms.

So the questions should be,
1. are you in a country that would block access to the site?
2. What web browser are you using on a desktop or laptop computer?

Thanks for trying, but I'm not being blocked by Chinese censors, nor is my web browser the problem (I get the same crash when I use Windows Phone).

Some google research has revealed that my problem is actually a common one, going back many years. It's not specific to Windows Phone; it also affects xboxes. Old Microsoft accounts simply can't log into xbox, because they lack a "gamertag", whatever that is. If I created a brand new Microsoft account, I would have no trouble, but I don't want to do that.

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I know you can set up a new account and transfer you old one to it. Their account page details how to do it, that way you shouldn't loose anything.
Never had to do it myself so don't know exactly what it entails.

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
To create a gamertag you only need to login in the xbox site, you browser/computer/connection is the problem. Sort it out

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro