How do I get my Facebook to autosave my info and take me to the expected page to allow WIFI Sense?

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Wi-Fi Sense Facebook contacts issue.

I've got a L620 with the GB country variant Black firmware with WP8.1 DP installed.

Under Wi-Fi Sense, under the checkbox for Facebook contacts, there is some text that says I need to allow Wi-Fi Sense. I click the allow link, which opens the Facebook app (where I presume there'd normally be a screen with the app name "Wi-Fi Sense" and a button to allow access to Facebook). However, the Facebook app opens, but it opens to a login screen. If I just open the Facebook app normally, I'm already logged in. If I put in my login credentials on this page, it doesn't take me to the expected page to allow Wi-Fi Sense, it just takes me to the news feed.

Has anyone else got this to work?

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Wi-Fi Sense Facebook contacts issue.

if you simply want to connect to WiFi sense, its just you have to set ON. Facebook or any other app will work automatically. I think the screen you are going in is from where you can share your WiFi sense details with your friends on Facebook!!

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site

I think the screen you are going in is from where you can share your WiFi sense details with your friends on Facebook!!

Yep, and that screen doesn't seem to be working. I want to share my WiFi details with Facebook friends, which requires permission from Facebook. But the link from the "Allow" button/text to Facebook seems broken. I never get to somewhere where I can authorize Wi-Fi Sense to access my Facebook contacts.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I see that works for me on 1020. I clicked on allow and it asks me with permission screen on Facebook if I want to share friend details.

May be you can log out of Facebook app and then try again.

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site

In this relation - how does the wifi sense actually work sharing contracts.
got a Wifi password at the weekend and it was setup to be shared with Skype and outlook friends.
someone from my contacts in outlook had his wifi sense turned on and locations on for wifi sense to work.. but I guess I have to do something else because he never got into that darn wifi

anon(3925991)

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site

Did anyone witness Wifi sense workng correctly?

I had it enabled but it never connected to any network. Even to wifi spots which are shown on the map, like the free hotspots at mcdonalds, there is no automatic connection.

Anybody seen this feature working?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Did anyone witness Wifi sense workng correctly?

I had it enabled but it never connected to any network. Even to wifi spots which are shown on the map, like the free hotspots at mcdonalds, there is no automatic connection.

Anybody seen this feature working?

What WiFi Sense does is shares your home WiFi connection securely with others who are in your contacts. WiFi Sense won't automatically connect you to Open hotspots. You need to connect to them manually first, how would WiFi Sense know which one you want to connect to without that manual connection first, as then it would be in known networks and can then be connected to automatically. It would be a big security issue if you connected automatically to every Open hotspot and WP sent your details for the landing page without your knowledge.

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site

I pretty much believe that Wifi Hotspots are connected automatically and It tries to send this data. I also believe there are hotspots in the US where it works without problems. Rest of the World it will not work at all. Why would it not connect to hotspots automatically. there is no point in connecting to previously connected hotspots because this is the behaviour of any wifi management tool to connect to known wifis. I am more curious about the sharing wifi feature with other people in your contact list that use wifi sense as well

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

I pretty much believe that Wifi Hotspots are connected automatically and It tries to send this data. I also believe there are hotspots in the US where it works without problems. Rest of the World it will not work at all. Why would it not connect to hotspots automatically. there is no point in connecting to previously connected hotspots because this is the behaviour of any wifi management tool to connect to known wifis. I am more curious about the sharing wifi feature with other people in your contact list that use wifi sense as well

It doesn't just connect to every open WiFi network, here's a quote from the WiFi Sense FAQ "What does WiFi Sense do?" section in the help+tips app:

Automatically connect you to open WiFi networks it knows about by crowdsourcing networks that other Windows Phone users have connected to. These are usually open WiFi hotspots that you see when you're out and about.

As you can see it doesn't just automatically connect to every open hotspot around you in the hope that it gets a connection, it uses a crowdsourced database to determine which ones to connect to and, yes, it does work outside the US.

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site

As I said.. It connects to hotspots and not the ones the user told the phone to do but - at least to you - unknown ones. still doesn't tell me how my outlook contacts can get into the wifi I am connected to

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

As I said.. It connects to hotspots and not the ones the user told the phone to do but - at least to you - unknown ones. still doesn't tell me how my outlook contacts can get into the wifi I am connected to

Yes, crowdsourced ones and NOT - at least to you - every WiFi network around you!!!

Only secure networks like your home WiFi are shared, open networks can't be shared. AFAIK that sharing is done automatically but only with users of Windows Phones, If they have iOS or Android then they are out of luck.

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site

Yes - I understand that wifi sense needs to be available on the other device. still my collegue didn't get the wifi. Do you have to get active on that somehow?
connecting to it doesn't make sense because it will ask for a password, wouldn't it.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Like I said, only Secure networks can be shared. I believe when I did it I had to manually enable sharing for that particular network.

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site

Yes you have to check the box ticked that you want to share that network with your contacts. this was enabled and wifi sense was enabled on the contacts phone. we are in groups with each other as well as in the contact list with outlook.com addresses

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Yes you have to check the box ticked that you want to share that network with your contacts. this was enabled and wifi sense was enabled on the contacts phone. we are in groups with each other as well as in the contact list with outlook.com addresses

You may find WiFi Sense suggests networks to you as well, that verifies that it's working.

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site

I think you don't get my point. how does someone in my friends list get access to the wifi network I am connected to that I share with my contacts

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

I think you don't get my point. how does someone in my friends list get access to the wifi network I am connected to that I share with my contacts

Do those contacts have WP8.1, if not then that could be why it's not working?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs