iPhone 6 vs Nokia 1020: Better imaging all around from Apple - Friday October 10 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Only one phone has ever it's pictures published in national geographic publications as full page hi resolution prints.
It wasn't an iPhone.

Ani_P

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Anyone using Lumia 1020, lemme add a pro tip. Don't shoot auto. Set your shutter speed to a minimum of 1/30 and not slower if you're going handheld. Use wb presets if you're unsure. Try not to go over 800 iso while maintaining 1/30th. Don't use exposure compensation at night. Now enjoy the best phone camera and watch it destroy every other phone cam. Good night.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Anyone using Lumia 1020, lemme add a pro tip. Don't shoot auto. Set your shutter speed to a minimum of 1/30 and not slower if you're going handheld. Use wb presets if you're unsure. Try not to go over 800 iso while maintaining 1/30th. Don't use exposure compensation at night. Now enjoy the best phone camera and watch it destroy every other phone cam. Good night.

^^THIS IS FANTASTIC
i just tried it on my L720 and gave it a go, awesome tip!!

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

The tip is nice, but it definitely doesn't crush "every other phone cam".

I've owned a Nexus 5 and it has no manual controls, but has OIS, the shutter speed can drop to as low as 1/9 and there is no blur.

Your tip applies to phones that don't have OIS, to those that do, they can go lower even when handheld.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
The tip is nice, but it definitely doesn't crush "every other phone cam".

I've owned a Nexus 5 and it has no manual controls, but has OIS, the shutter speed can drop to as low as 1/9 and there is no blur.

Your tip applies to phones that don't have OIS, to those that do, they can go lower even when handheld.

dude i have a nexus 5,that thing is a toy compared to any of the carl zeiss and pureview lumias
sure its underestimated but its pathetic in low light and extremely slow to focus
his tip is for a lumia 1020 which has ois,works well on my 720

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
dude i have a nexus 5,that thing is a toy compared to any of the carl zeiss and pureview lumias
sure its underestimated but its pathetic in low light and extremely slow to focus
his tip is for a lumia 1020 which has ois,works well on my 720

How good the Nexus 5 camera is, is a totally different thread.

My point was different. 1/30 is equivalent to a 30 FPS video in lowlight, you'll barely see anything! For phones that have OIS dropping to a shutter speed of 1/15 or 1/5(if you have very steady hands) you can get much better images.

1/30 is not optimum for a lowlight situation, especially not for phones that have OIS and the capability to go lower.

Here's an image taken with a N5 at 1/10 shutter speed: http://imgur.com/mxxf3AB

Understand what I'm trying to say here? I'm only mentioning Nexus 5 here because it's the only phone with OIS I've used and the only one whose images I found on WPCentral(shared by salman something here).

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

My point was different. 1/30 is equivalent to a 30 FPS video in lowlight, you'll barely see anything! For phones that have OIS dropping to a shutter speed of 1/15 or 1/5(if you have very steady hands) you can get much better images.

1/30 is not optimum for a lowlight situation, especially not for phones that have OIS and the capability to go lower.

Here's an image taken with a N5 at 1/10 shutter speed: HDR+ at ISO 3200, shutter speed 1/10. - Imgur

Understand what I'm trying to say here? I'm only mentioning Nexus 5 here because it's the only phone with OIS I've used and the only one whose images I found on WPCentral(shared by salman something here).

Don't get all confused by technology you don't understand, I will have to check on this OIS on the nexus but nokia had it first, the sensor size of nexus compared to nokia is laughable as I said in other post, under no circumstances on any website has nexus phones ever been considered a good camera, everything beats them even crappy phones, the other guy was saying don't go slower than that because the nokia has 41mp camera so it processes slower because of the all the detail which can cause problems at slow shutter speed. You might not be able to take a shot at 1/30th on your nexus because the sensor is so tiny of course no light gets in, but guess what 1020 doesn't have that problem. So yes It can handle way faster speeds than your nexus and come out looking great. The 1020 lets the most light in of any sensor next to the nokia 808 there are no other phones in the same league stop mentioning nexus in the same sentence as a pureview that even the lowest end pureview beats a nexus its not even close.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Don't get all confused by technology you don't understand, I will have to check on this OIS on the nexus but nokia had it first, the sensor size of nexus compared to nokia is laughable as I said in other post, under no circumstances on any website has nexus phones ever been considered a good camera, everything beats them even crappy phones, the other guy was saying don't go slower than that because the nokia has 41mp camera so it processes slower because of the all the detail which can cause problems at slow shutter speed. You might not be able to take a shot at 1/30th on your nexus because the sensor is so tiny of course no light gets in, but guess what 1020 doesn't have that problem. So yes It can handle way faster speeds than your nexus and come out looking great. The 1020 lets the most light in of any sensor next to the nokia 808 there are no other phones in the same league stop mentioning nexus in the same sentence as a pureview that even the lowest end pureview beats a nexus its not even close.
Oh God, put the Nexus 5 aside. I was strictly talking about the 1/30 shutter speed.

If you have a 1020 and you want to take better lowlight images than an iPhone, you can! Simply turn down the shutter speed to 1/10(or lower if you can).

No matter what the sensor size and aperture of the 1020 it can benefit from a lower shutter speed, and it can handle it because of OIS!

Here's a comparison between:

1da8b25da42e8a5d09b4ebeea11f258d.jpg

1/30 shutter speed.

bb7c3ea27c9e0ca15d85255004a779cb.jpg

1/10 shutter speed.

Ani_P

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
For those mentioning lower shutter speeds, by all means you can on every camera. What's important is knowing moving and changing lights. Don't think many understand that concept. Also staying at 1/30 is accurate for handheld because it is hard to gauge the shutter speed compensation ois provides. 1/30 is a general photography rules. Ppl can of course attempt lower and come out with great pictures. For 1020 I re-emphasize to stick with 1/30, max 800 iso and wb presets. Auto had some crazy calculations. Try to get detail in a semi silhouette shot with auto and you'll see what I mean. Ppl mentioning other phones, please don't. 1020 is a very very different sensor. Use a tripod with the battery grip on and some 4 sec exposures look incredible. 1/10 or even lower works but I would say do it on decent light and go lowest with the Iso. Best way to learn this cam is night photos. Practice scenes that would require average and spot metering on dslrs and see how they calc it in these 1020s. If you can nail this you're a pro pocket photographer

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

Here's an image taken with a N5 at 1/10 shutter speed: HDR+ at ISO 3200, shutter speed 1/10. - Imgur

but Nexus 5 is slow to focus so its not really useful to have a fast shutter

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
For those mentioning lower shutter speeds, by all means you can on every camera. What's important is knowing moving and changing lights. Don't think many understand that concept. Also staying at 1/30 is accurate for handheld because it is hard to gauge the shutter speed compensation ois provides. 1/30 is a general photography rules. Ppl can of course attempt lower and come out with great pictures. For 1020 I re-emphasize to stick with 1/30, max 800 iso and wb presets. Auto had some crazy calculations. Try to get detail in a semi silhouette shot with auto and you'll see what I mean. Ppl mentioning other phones, please don't. 1020 is a very very different sensor. Use a tripod with the battery grip on and some 4 sec exposures look incredible. 1/10 or even lower works but I would say do it on decent light and go lowest with the Iso. Best way to learn this cam is night photos. Practice scenes that would require average and spot metering on dslrs and see how they calc it in these 1020s. If you can nail this you're a pro pocket photographer

The only reason I mentioned another device was for reference.

While I agree with you on keeping the ISO to 800 or lower, 1/30(or 30 FPS) is more suitable for capturing motion.

My point was that when your object is still (usually in lowlight people photograph still subjects) you should definitely dip your shutter speed to below 1/30.

1/10 is mostly only beneficial in lowlight, not in bright and we should avail this feature.
but Nexus 5 is slow to focus so its not really useful to have a fast shutter
No point of arguing with you. Nor do you seem to understand the basics of photography, nor do you stop criticising the Nexus(which I mentioned as a reference for shutter speeds).

Shutter speed and focus times are two totally different things.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
^^keep thinking that way about your opinion, I own a Nexus 5 ,Lumia 720 and 820 as well as an EOS 1200D and 5D
my degree course involves photography,i pretty much have a better idea of photography
whats the point of higher shutter speed and slow focus?? would you drive a ferrari with a faulty automatic transmission which doesnt change gears accordingly?
see the irony

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
How many of these threads exist?

1020 will remain the king of cameras until its successor.

There are 3 things a person desires in his phones camera

1. Better quality images. Now as 1020 has more zooming, more megapixels, so it takes best photos

2. Better low light photography.

A xenon flash vs an led flash? Pretty unfair comparison.

1020 is able to take photos in no light too(in most of the cases)

3. Blur free photos. 1020 has the best OIS.

As 1020 performs these 3 things better than any phone, hence it has the best (phone)camera on the planet.

Sent from whichever device I happen to be using today.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
^^keep thinking that way about your opinion, I own a Nexus 5 ,Lumia 720 and 820 as well as an EOS 1200D and 5D
my degree course involves photography,i pretty much have a better idea of photography
whats the point of higher shutter speed and slow focus?? would you drive a ferrari with a faulty automatic transmission which doesnt change gears accordingly?
see the irony

Stop talking about the Nexus 5 already. -.-

Before selling my 1020 I compared it's focus, and it's slower than most alternatives(including iPhone and Nexus) out there, primarily because it uses single shot focusing.

How many of these threads exist?

1020 will remain the king of cameras until its successor.

There are 3 things a person desires in his phones camera

1. Better quality images. Now as 1020 has more zooming, more megapixels, so it takes best photos

2. Better low light photography.

A xenon flash vs an led flash? Pretty unfair comparison.

1020 is able tn no light too(in most of the cases)

3. Blur free photos. 1020 has the best OIS.

As 1020 performs these 3 things better than any phone, hence it has the best (phone)camera on the planet.

Sent from whichever device I happen to be using today.

You should say that those are the things "you" desire, not everyone.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Stop talking about the Nexus 5 already. -.-

Before selling my 1020 I compared it's focus, and it's slower than most alternatives(including iPhone and Nexus) out there, primarily because it uses single shot focusing.

You should say that those are the things "you" desire, not everyone.

Alright, so start using a phone with a vga camera, worst low light photography, blurred photos, worst quality photos.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Alright, so start using a phone with a vga camera, worst low light photography, blurred photos, worst quality photos.

They are definitely part of what a a person desires, but not the main things.

I like slow mo and 60 FPS capture, color accuracy and better flash for skin tones and the 1020 doesn't give me that.

There are others that need faster focus or 4K capture.

The 1020 isn't the best camera phone, it depends on your preferences.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
They are definitely part of what a a person desires, but not the main things.

I like slow mo and 60 FPS capture, color accuracy and better flash for skin tones and the 1020 doesn't give me that.

There are others that need faster focus or 4K capture.

The 1020 isn't the best camera phone, it depends on your preferences.

See, you can talk about everything like focusing, shutter speed, sensitivity etc, but they are the secondary things. All the companies are coming up with higher megapixels phones, why? Because they primarily matter in a phone, then comes everything else. If the rest of the things mattered more than megapixels, then in todays world, vga camera would've been the best. Rest all the things in 1020 is also well optimized & hence its better.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
See, you can talk about everything like focusing, shutter speed, sensitivity etc, but they are the secondary things. All the companies are coming up with higher megapixels phones, why? Because they primarily matter in a phone, then comes everything else. If the rest of the things mattered more than megapixels, then in todays world, vga camera would've been the best. Rest all the things in 1020 is also well optimized & hence its better.

Megapixels do indeed matter, to a certain extent that is. 8 MP provides a very decent enough detail to view on 4K TVs or even for printing, this is why no one stayed with VGA cameras.

Companies often go for higher megapixels, not because they are what primarily matter, but because it serves as a marketing ploy to trick people. More megapixels don't always result in a a better image. Educate yourself about this.

The 1020 has extremely slow photo processing, and photo processing can also be hit or miss at times(sometimes leading to unnatural colours), the Xenon flash has caused yellow tints, focus is way slower than most other devices, video recording simply doesn't often as many features and burst mode isn't great either.

Using Microsoft camera alleviates a few of these problems but only takes 5 MP photos, and still focuses slowly.

I'll admit that speed isn't everything and the 1020 has a wide range of situations where it performs spectacularly however it lacks too much for it to be called the best cameraphone anymore.

Again, it depends on your preferences. If you truly need what the 1020 offers, go for it but don't force your opinion down everyone's throat.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Megapixels do indeed matter, to a certain extent that is. 8 MP provides a very decent enough detail to view on 4K TVs or even for printing, this is why no one stayed with VGA cameras.

Companies often go for higher megapixels, not because they are what primarily matter, but because it serves as a marketing ploy to trick people. More megapixels don't always result in a a better image. Educate yourself about this.

The 1020 has extremely slow photo processing, and photo processing can also be hit or miss at times(sometimes leading to unnatural colours), the Xenon flash has caused yellow tints, focus is way slower than most other devices, video recording simply doesn't often as many features and burst mode isn't great either.

Using Microsoft camera alleviates a few of these problems but only takes 5 MP photos, and still focuses slowly.

I'll admit that speed isn't everything and the 1020 has a wide range of situations where it performs spectacularly however it lacks too much for it to be called the best cameraphone anymore.

Again, it depends on your preferences. If you truly need what the 1020 offers, go for it but don't force your opinion down everyone's throat.

More megapixels >more resolution >more zooming, which ultimately lead to good quality photos. I know megapixels aren't everything, but if a company gives a higher megapixels, but misses out on other features, like sensitivity, aperture etc, then it won't perform well in low light, would result in blurry photos, & hence Lumia 920/925 beats many phones with 13mp camera.
I also know that 1020 has a bit slower processing of images, but that's only due to the reason that it takes excellent quality photos. & wait we are talking about quality of images, so 1020 is still better. Wait for denim, its speed would increase. & I'm not forcing my opinion on anyone, its just that most of the experts have already said that, 1020 is still has the best camera in a phone on this planet. Only some iFan sites say that iPhone performs well(that to the photos vary a lot, not taken on the same time of the day, vast angle differences). You should educate yourself on xenon flash, why an led flash can never be able to beat it. Remember 8mp vs 41mp.
5 times more megapixels still do not matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb