iPhone 6 vs Nokia 1020: Better imaging all around from Apple - Friday October 10 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
More megapixels >more resolution >more zooming, which ultimately lead to good quality photos. I know megapixels aren't everything, but if a company gives a higher megapixels, but misses out on other features, like sensitivity, aperture etc, then it won't perform well in low light, would result in blurry photos, & hence Lumia 920/925 beats many phones with 13mp camera.
I also know that 1020 has a bit slower processing of images, but that's only due to the reason that it takes excellent quality photos. & wait we are talking about quality of images, so 1020 is still better. Wait for denim, its speed would increase. & I'm not forcing my opinion on anyone, its just that most of the experts have already said that, 1020 is still has the best camera in a phone on this planet. Only some iFan sites say that iPhone performs well(that to the photos vary a lot, not taken on the same time of the day, vast angle differences). You should educate yourself on xenon flash, why an led flash can never be able to beat it. Remember 8mp vs 41mp.
5 times more megapixels still do not matter?

The more megapixels = more zooming is a shining example of how ignorant people have become, no offence.

If the number of megapixels keep increasing and there isn't an appropriate increase in the sensor size along with it, the quality of images(especially in the corners) begin to deteriorate due to the extra pixel count. Also if the sensor can't manage a low ISO and keeps defaulting to higher values it'll also result in a loss of detail.

In this respect the iPhone may have a smaller megapixel count but the ISO can drop to as low as 32, compensating for some of those "extra megapixels." Whereas the 1020 can't go that low.

And the 1020 is by no means "a bit slow", it is in fact much noticeably slower than the iPhone, which makes it a pain to use especially when trying to photograph something funny(or worthwhile).

I'm eagerly awaiting Denim, but until then there is no way you can say that the 1020 is the best camera phone out there, especially when it lacks in one of the most important factors of photography: speed.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I posted this in a similar thread, thought I'd share it here, now referring to the iPhone 6:

Guys, chill down a bit. It's not like we created these cameras with our own hands to get all pumped and caught up in the tension.

The truth is that better and better phones will be released as new hardware and technologies are developed - nothing remains "the best" forever. BUT the fact that many (not just in this thread) are comparing the camera of a newly announced phone with the camera of a phone that is almost a year OLD says something good about the older phone, right? Yet one can argue otherwise how a lower resolution phone compares with a monster.

If I was asked to choose which camera is better between the L1020 and the iPhone 6, I wouldn't be able to give an answer because I don't have an iPhone 6 and, thus, I can't give the "challenger" a fair trial. But I DO have THE L1020, and I'm loving how I can zoom in at distant subjects and take high-resolution videos. At the same time, I'm a bit uncomfortable not being able to take high frame rate slow-motion videos, and in how my i-family criticizes the white balance in my photos. Yet, despite these, I'm still happy with the L1020, and at the end of the day that's what matters.

As for low-light conditions, I especially like the challenge of holding the camera as still as I can, and I enjoy the satisfaction of viewing a nicely executed photograph when the photo comes out crisp and bright - the process gives the photograph more meaning.

Whatever hardware you have, make the most out of it. I remember the days when I tried my best at photography with only a 0.3MP fixed-focus camera! Now at 41MP (actually 34 or 38 depending on aspect ratio), I could finally take shots I only used to dream of... without carrying a bulky DSLR around.

The comparisons will always come; "writers" will write and "reviewers" will review. Page views will increase and somewhere along the line revenues will be generated. In the end, what matters is how well you use what you have. Would you rather spend time comparing, wondering, bashing, criticizing, arguing, proving and disproving than do your best in taking good photographs?:cool:

ja_izzy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Problem is, is that people think 41mp equals better camera. A 7mp+ camera can produce an HQ 8x10 that's every bit as good as the 1020 41mp. The 41mp is good for cropping and that's about it. I do love my L1020, L925 and L920, but the point is, the hardware in the 1020 is dated and needs a reboot. I beg Microsoft to hurry up already!!!

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
The more megapixels = more zooming is a shining example of how ignorant people have become, no offence.

If the number of megapixels keep increasing and there isn't an appropriate increase in the sensor size along with it, the quality of images(especially in the corners) begin to deteriorate due to the extra pixel count. Also if the sensor can't manage a low ISO and keeps defaulting to higher values it'll also result in a loss of detail.

In this respect the iPhone may have a smaller megapixel count but the ISO can drop to as low as 32, compensating for some of those "extra megapixels." Whereas the 1020 can't go that low.

And the 1020 is by no means "a bit slow", it is in fact much noticeably slower than the iPhone, which makes it a pain to use especially when trying to photograph something funny(or worthwhile).

I'm eagerly awaiting Denim, but until then there is no way you can say that the 1020 is the best camera phone out there, especially when it lacks in one of the most important factors of photography: speed.

So even if iPhone 6 has a lower zooming, still it takes good quality images? Now its you who are forcing your opinion. If there's something that basically matters in a phone camera is zooming, that's the main factor in deciding the quality of images. Also the iPhone 6 takes blurred photos, 1020 without any blur, still iPhones camera is better, right? Talking about speed, 1020 has camera key, it can be launched just by pressing it, still some people think, iPhone has a good speed camera, that would only be possible when both the phones are unlocked, not when they're in sleep mode. You're just focusing on ISO, its not everything in a camera, don't miss out on other features of 1020. Nothing can compensate (the actual)megapixel count in a phone. Just watch the video I posted in my previous post, why 1020 is still the king of photography. We can discuss this whole day, but then this discussion is going nowhere

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
So even if iPhone 6 has a lower zooming, still it takes good quality images? Now its you who are forcing your opinion. If there's something that basically matters in a phone camera is zooming, that's the main factor in deciding the quality of images. Also the iPhone 6 takes blurred photos, 1020 without any blur, still iPhones camera is better, right? Talking about speed, 1020 has camera key, it can be launched just by pressing it, still some people think, iPhone has a good speed camera, that would only be possible when both the phones are unlocked, not when they're in sleep mode. You're just focusing on ISO, its not everything in a camera, don't miss out on other features of 1020. Nothing can compensate (the actual)megapixel count in a phone. Just watch the video I posted in my previous post, why 1020 is still the king of photography. We can discuss this whole day, but then this discussion is going nowhere

If zooming was all that mattered in a camera, no one would buy the HTC One M8. Zooming isn't the primary need for everyone in a phone, and just because a phone can zoom less doesn't mean that it has lower quality photos.

Also you said the iPhone 6 takes blurred images and 1020 doesn't, what the hell? I haven't seen anyone complain that all images they've taken with their iPhone is blurred.

Even if you include the camera key, pull out the 1020 from your pocket and press the camera button. And take out an iPhone, wake it up from sleep and swipe the camera open, the iPhone still would open the camera faster and focus faster.

I'm not only focusing on ISO, but also on speed, focus, color accuracy and ease of use and video features.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
If zooming was all that mattered in a camera, no one would buy the HTC One M8. Zooming isn't the primary need for everyone in a phone, and just because a phone can zoom less doesn't mean that it has lower quality photos.

Also you said the iPhone 6 takes blurred images and 1020 doesn't, what the hell? I haven't seen anyone complain that all images they've taken with their iPhone is blurred.

Even if you include the camera key, pull out the 1020 from your pocket and press the camera button. And take out an iPhone, wake it up from sleep and swipe the camera open, the iPhone still would open the camera faster and focus faster.

I'm not only focusing on ISO, but also on speed, focus, color accuracy and ease of use and video features.

I would just like to say that your point about speed is extremely valid, it plays a key role in getting great images.

I recently visited the Wagha Border(and a few other places) on a trip with the school, and I photographed it using my mobile.

The fact that my mobile could open the camera extremely fast and takes imaged and videos really fast was a huge help.

I know a hell lot about manual controls, but I would prefer an iPhone 6(or 6 Plus) over the 1020, simply because of how slow it is.

Here are a few images I took with my fast 8MP camera that I wouldn't have been able to take with the slow 41 MP(I'm quite sure about it).

1414341988000.jpg
1414342006892.jpg
1414342044769.jpg
1414342070672.jpg

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

Because it has less pixels means exactly that it will have a picture of lesser quality when zoomed afterward or taken while zoomed.

1020 has "lossless" digital zoom, due to extra megapixels. Ip6 and 6+ doesn't have "lossless" zoom. Big difference there. Also, since the 1020 has a dedicated button, I'm sure that almost 100% of the people already engages the camera as soon as there hands touches the phone, well before pulling that phone out of there pockets. So both 1020 and ip6 is probably on par when it comes to being "ready".

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Even Lumia 920 can do this, can you ? - if you do not catch it, it is a night photo :p

View attachment 85746

I'm sure it can, but the point was how fast it could.

The ride was stuck in the air for a little while and their expressions we're priceless(if you zoomed in slightly).

I'm sure the 1020 wouldn't have opened the camera fast enough to capture that(before the ride moved again).

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure it can, but the point was how fast it could.

The ride was stuck in the air for a little while and their expressions we're priceless(if you zoomed in slightly).

I'm sure the 1020 wouldn't have opened the camera fast enough to capture that(before the ride moved again).

I'm sure the 1020 wouldn't have opened the camera fast enough to capture that(before the ride moved again).[/QUOTE

A repetitive ride and you wouldn't get a chance to take a picture with a 1020? With its lossless zoom I could've got way more detail and would've preserved that "moment" alot better than that iPhone.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
This thread is starting to spiral into a "my phone took this, your phone couldn't do it" and other meaningless arguments. I think we've gotten about as much use out of this as possible.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb