Why Windows Phone is awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westarmy

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, before continuing I absolutely love Windows Phone, the OS is brilliant and I am a proud owner of the Lumia 1520. What I say is the genuinely the truth from what I have observed.

Windows Phone marketing is awful. I would strongly urge Microsoft to sack those incompetent fools! From what I have seen in the UK about Windows Phone and Nokia recently is just useless marketing. "Lets shove a Lumia 1020 onto Hollyoaks(UK Soap), lets shove a Lumia into a movie." Since the Lumia 920 I have only seen about 3 adverts about Windows Phone, one for Lumia 920, another for 630 and finally one for the 930. Yet with Samsung its on billboards, TV, gyms, buses etc. Same with Apple!

I have never seen a 1520 advert, I have never even seen one in a shop in the UK (Meadowhall, Sheffield), despite going to various ex-Phones4U outlets, EE shops, Carphone Warehouse etc. I never saw it once in person, until I ordered it off online... (they were going to charge me ?52 per month + ?99 from Vodafone). I wonder why Microsoft never took the decision to market it properly after all it was hailed "amazing" "brilliant"... Even surpassing S5,

Now the stupidest rumour I have heard about of Windows Phone is about an idiotic female I work with... "Windows crashes all the time, my mate had one it was s**t. All Windows does is crash" This can partly be blamed onto Microsoft (By illiterate IT users) who decided to use Windows branding (Even though it's never crashed on me... Perhaps it will do if you're on a low spec device running X-Plane) onto a mobile device.

Now here's the reason why I am writing this. I work at a call-centre before starting my university next year, I am 19 years of age and I have bought a Windows Phone because I enjoy the aesthetics and the practicality. I also like the fact that it has certain key apps that iOS nor Android have. Now since I work at this call-centre they have Sony, Microsoft etc. coming in to pitch how amazing their products are! So lets do a comparison of Sony and Microsoft here.

MICROSOFT
2 guys set a simple table away from the entrance, near the canteen and had put 2 Lumia 930's on the table alongside them their wireless charging plates. Next to the table was one of them big signs detailing Windows Phone. I observed themselves throughout the day, they hardly had any people coming to them and they rarely even engaged bringing customers to their silly little table with just 2 phones on it. So in total from what I observed as I had them visible throughout the day, I recall seeing 5 people going to them. That was all from Windows Phone! The next day I heard no one talking about the 930 at all.

Sony
3 guys, 2 girls set up a big stall right next to the entrance, they were marketing the Z3 and the Z3 compact. They had 4 stalls, one with a water canon enclosed within a box, one with a Playstation 4, one with the 2 phones on display and the fourth one had a competition. Now cleverly enough they set up the stall next to the entrance, this means delivery drivers, people coming for interviews were ALL being approached. I again watched the Sony team approach people with these cards detailing a competition, all they had to do was sign it and put their name on it... Whilst they did that they pitched the Z3 and Z3 compact, how amazing their camera is (even though it's nothing compared to Lumia 930/1520 tried and tested) and how amazingly waterproof it is and PS4 remote play (yes they had it working '_'). Now this competition was the chance to win a Z3, even I literally wanted to go up to the stall ask to enter the competition as people were coming off their breaks and letting others know "there's a free competition out there, go sign you name..." Now I have to be honest there was queues, crowds gathered around the stall all because of a simple competition, but by far how they marketed the Z3 was brilliant and one of the guys working next to me was approached and given the Z3 as he won the competition. Over next few days I didn't hear anything about the Z3, but 2 days later, someone bought a Z3... Discussing with another person on the bus who asked him about the Z3 and he was in a dilemma on getting it. Lucky here, he was speaking about the "amazing camera, the SD card, the android software etc." From what I am aware at work I believe 5 people got a Z3 just because of that marketing, its annoying they think they have a super camera xD! I have to admit I would like a Z3, maybe a Z4 next year just for that remote play feature.

So Microsoft, are you going to sit there?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I hate to say, but WP needs a lot of work. I left WP and got the iPhone 6, love a phone that actually works and has stuff that I like, because it isn't fun to always be left out.

People on this site keep saying, "Oh, it will get better" ALL THE TIME. They said that from wp7 to 7.5, 7.5 to 8.0 (disaster with 7.8), 8.0 to 8.1, now with 10.0. It seems WP is always lacking something, either an app or feature, and once they get it, no one uses it anymore or they just don't care.

App situation is awful on WP, I'm not going to explain it, you all know it.

And yes, advertisements suck for WP and pretty much all Microsoft ads. Some, like the Surface ad about that NFL guy was great, others like the Cortana vs Siri ads, PCs vs Chromebooks, Surfaces vs MBA's, SUCK. And people say it is revenge for Mac vs PC, but does Apple do that anymore? No.

I guess we will wait because it is "Coming soon" (Trademarked by Microsoft). :-/

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
"And yes, advertisements suck for WP and pretty much all Microsoft ads. Some, like the Surface ad about that NFL guy was great, others like the Cortana vs Siri ads, PCs vs Chromebooks, Surfaces vs MBA's, SUCK. And people say it is revenge for Mac vs PC, but does Apple do that anymore? No."

Uhhh not really . When people pick up my phone or tablet they say " oh is it the phone
with cortana " they test it and say yup Siri sucks .
Or when they compare my rt to their chromebook they prefer my tablet .
Come on jobs I have different experiences and so far positive ones so msft is on point with the ads

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well i guess Microsoft should really start promoting windows phones in enterprises. It really sucks to see nothing happening in the nation's top bank i work with. People are still using blackberry for communication and emails, why? Because the IT department is so ducked up to support Windows Phones. There's an actual complain thread on a discussion forum for feedbacks on how the IT department is not supporting windows phones and giving out stupid reasons. Actually on another note, the folks who are complaining look a lot like wpcentral users :p, way advanced an up to the point

windows94

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I hate to say, but WP needs a lot of work. I left WP and got the iPhone 6, love a phone that actually works and has stuff that I like, because it isn't fun to always be left out.

People on this site keep saying, "Oh, it will get better" ALL THE TIME. They said that from wp7 to 7.5, 7.5 to 8.0 (disaster with 7.8), 8.0 to 8.1, now with 10.0. It seems WP is always lacking something, either an app or feature, and once they get it, no one uses it anymore or they just don't care.

App situation is awful on WP, I'm not going to explain it, you all know it.

And yes, advertisements suck for WP and pretty much all Microsoft ads. Some, like the Surface ad about that NFL guy was great, others like the Cortana vs Siri ads, PCs vs Chromebooks, Surfaces vs MBA's, SUCK. And people say it is revenge for Mac vs PC, but does Apple do that anymore? No.

I guess we will wait because it is "Coming soon" (Trademarked by Microsoft). :-/
Well... To be fair, WP has come a long way. I have two android phones (one is my galaxy light with the same specs as the international s3) and I have two Lumia phones (used to have 5). I ❤ WP

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
It has, but still needs a lot of work.

And that's a good thing in my opinion . Since msft has room for improvement it can come up with different ideas and improve on things meanwhile iOS has things that bother me and makes me think " if wp and android have this why can't iOS "

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
In my country, there used to be ads and promotion when a Nokia Lumia phone is launched. After absorption by MS, it's eerily quiet now.😠

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
And that's a good thing in my opinion . Since msft has room for improvement it can come up with different ideas and improve on things meanwhile iOS has things that bother me and makes me think " if wp and android have this why can't iOS "

Each os has their advantages, I love them all. But the things wp is lacking is pretty major.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Lol I can say the same thing with iOS . It's all subjective . No OS is perfect and to say one is lacking over the other one is wrong imho.

He is exactly right. It depends what you're needs/desires are. If they are for a great camera that can edit in raw and produce prints you can blow up for larger sizes (family pictures) then you might have to wait 10 years for apple to catch up (lol)(sorry I couldn't resist the poke). If you want to be able to load several different skins or loaders you would choose android. If you want simplicity and 500+ BATTERY APPS and the same os your mother and grandpa use apple is for you. If you could care less what most people have and just want am attractive, easy to use phone, with no gimmicks, good battery life that will run fast with whatever model with no need to learn how to customize or take off handset bloatware and that will continue to have updates and run well regardless if it is not a high end phone then WP is for you.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Well i guess Microsoft should really start promoting windows phones in enterprises. It really sucks to see nothing happening in the nation's top bank i work with. People are still using blackberry for communication and emails, why? Because the IT department is so ducked up to support Windows Phones. There's an actual complain thread on a discussion forum for feedbacks on how the IT department is not supporting windows phones and giving out stupid reasons. Actually on another note, the folks who are complaining look a lot like wpcentral users :p, way advanced an up to the point
Reminds me of Symbian app writers and fans (don't get me wrong it was a great os for what it was) that refuse to write or consider WP because Nokia killed Symbian and chose WP (and no they are certainly not writing for ios or android). Its too bad there was more talent in Symbian app writers (as far as tight well written code with great design and features) then, in my opinion amy of the three other os's.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: "OP" (Original Poster),
Nicely Said. I like what Windows Phone brings to the marketplace, the look, the feel, the approach, the amazing "wonderful user experience", it feels like more of the "future" than the same old "past". But marketing by Microsoft is very spotty, rare and lackluster. They cannot communicate their message of greatness. Windows Media Center, Zune PC Desktop Software, and Windows Phone, all, truly amazing, feature rich and yet, for the most part, untried and unknown by the "masses" and misunderstood. It has to be a marketing communication problem.

That all said, I have hope and support for Windows Media Center with Ceton card, ZUNE (yes, it's still a sometime popular, free download for all PCs, including 8.1), and Windows Phone. I do my part by spreading the word of these amazing software and their unique features.

Keep a good thought, best wishes

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Ik iOS lacks major features too. But the ones wp have are costing them sales. Not the same for iOS.

o.o the only thing that is going against msft is " the app gap". other than that what features am I missing? as I look as my iPod and wp , I honestly don't see any features major or minor features missing

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
o.o the only thing that is going against msft is " the app gap". other than that what features am I missing? as I look as my iPod and wp , I honestly don't see any features major or minor features missing

It's also the criticism towards it. Some people really hate it, which influences others to not get it. You know...

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
It's also the criticism towards it. Some people really hate it, which influences others to not get it. You know...

that's their problem for hating wp. if a person only criticizes one OS then they haven't tried the other OS. like you said before " Each os has their advantages" at this point wp isn't awful and only getting better.

I criticizes IOS a lot but I give apple props to apple when its due . same goes for wp and android

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
that's their problem for hating wp. if a person only criticizes one OS then they haven't tried the other OS. like you said before " Each os has their advantages" at this point wp isn't awful and only getting better.

I criticizes IOS a lot but I give apple props to apple when its due . same goes for wp and android

WP isn't awful, but to appeal to more people, it needs to improve on those needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers